Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 23-10-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
Liberator
Eagle Pilot

Default Favourite TV Shows - Sci Fi or psudo sci fi

Ok I dont know if this has been a list topic before - sorry if its been done before. List your fav TV shows pref sci fi or as the title says psudo sci fi.

In my order of preference - forget about order of preference, its to hard to decide, except for maybe the first 2

Space 1999 - thats a given!
Buffy The Vampire Slayer - has to be one of the best written shows around (psudo sci fi - but they did have an alien come to earth in a meteorite)
Babylon Five - Took Battlestar Galatica - the new series to get around to matching this
Battlestar Galatica new series - only seen the first 2 seasons - Very impressed
X-files got a bit lost towards the end - gonna have to get me the series on DVD soon
Blakes 7 - I need to revisit
Angel - spin off from Buffy - still pretty good - another one I'm going have to add to my collection
Supernatural - Good fun - if you can call horror fun
Lost - still hooked - still want to know what the hell is going on, whats the Island and the others all about
Heroes - 1st season was good 2nd season starting to look like a repeat of the 1st
Quantum Leap - missed the first few seasons - yeah soppy feel good stuff but hey I liked it
Star Trek - Tne Next Generation, Voyager, DS9, and even Enterprise.
Shows I watched because they were sci fi

Dark Skies - Great premise - pity it didnt survive
Lost In Space - I was a kid - not game to revisit
Buck Rogers - see above comment
Farscape - I liked but could never really get into it
Stargate - SG1 and Atlantis - I like but not to miffed if I miss an episode
Earth2
Voyage to the bottom of the sea
Land of the giants
Time Tunnel
Land of the lost - I kid you not
Surface
Star Trek - TOS

BTW Hardly ever seen any GA shows except 1999. Nope no Thunderbirds, (saw snippets never watched a complete show - sorry can't get into it, my mate is a huge fan think hes put me off!) no UFO no... well you get the picture.

please add more I'm sure I've missed a few, bring back some memories...

Last edited by Liberator; 23-10-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Liberator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

As a kid I was too scared to watch Sci-fi, but I saw ST TOS a little, Sting Ray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scartlet, LX5, and snippets of Joe 90. I don't remember us getting any of the other puppet ones. I have vague memories older siblings watching UFO as I remember the inside of sid... But that's all, I wasn't allowed. I also remember my family watching Breakaway and not being interested any more....I wasn't allowed. I watched a little of Dr Who and Lost in Space, but otherwise it was cartoons like Gigantor, Speed Racer, Astro Boy and so forth.

With the Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet et al, have a few beers and try again.. its worth it just for the few beers!!!
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
cricket
Medical Officer

Ok, I'm game...

Space 1999
Babylon 5
Stargate SG1
UFO
Doctor Who, most incarnations
Star Trek TNG
Tomorrow People
Sapphire and Steel
Firefly

Stuff I liked as a kid...

Land of the Giants
Star Maidens
Catweazle
Ultraman
The Wild Wild West (original series, not the abysmal movie)

I'm sure there's more given the amount of TV I used to watch, but these jump to mind.

(okay, Tony... how do we manage to get Speed Racer in as pseudo-scifi? Watched faithfully as a kid, and can remember all of about three things about it.)

Last edited by cricket; 23-10-2007 at 03:03 PM. Reason: corrected typo, added Firefly
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
hark40
Travel Tube Technician

Me game, in no particular order...

Space 1999 - remember watching the first run back in the 70's (and then taping it back in the early 90s when it was on at 4am in the morning!!)
Doctor Who - Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker era. Although enjoying the current series.
Torchword - what can one say? Its great.
Thunderbirds - 6am on Ch9 every Saturday morning (still going!!!) Loved it as a kid. Remember drawing aircraft etc based on the ones in the show
Blakes 7 - Forgot the Scorpian, it has nothing on the Liberator. Missed the first episode as my younger sister wanted to watch "Tabatha" which was a spin off from Bewitched many years later. Family never watched it again and we watched Blakes 7 instead!
X-Files - only first couple of seasons
ST:TOS - repeats at 4pm in the afternoon when younger!!! Great stuff. (Then there was also ST:TNG, STS9 and ST:VOY. ST:ENT was butchered by the TV network and never really got into it. Then again, the others were also shown at 11pm at night consistantly)
Babylon 5 - TV stations (it was multiple of them) ripped this one to shreds so had to wait for the DVDs to fully appreciate it.
Firefly - again, the TV network here in Australia destroyed this one, so DVDs it is
UFO - remember watching/taping it in the midday or 2pm slot probably in the late 80s early 90s. DVDs now.
Stargate SG1 & Atlantis
Farscape - again, TV network failed in delivering this show. On DVD and watching it with the family
Buck Rogers
The New Avengers (kinda Sci Fi - they did have a robot attacking Joanna Lumley in one episode!!)
Dark Angel

Andra - mini series on the ABC here in Australia. Unfortunately lost as the original tapes were sent overseas for another network to broadcast and they reused the tapes.... (Have the book though!!)

Can't remember other GA productions, although Stingray I probably watched as my older brother got a Stingray slide projector as a present. (It had a cardboard strip of about five images that were projected onto the wall using the projector. There was a batch of these strips which obviously told a story or two)

Can remember Land of the Giants, Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. (Irwin Allen - all good stuff.)

The tragedy about some of the above SciFi shows is that the TV stations failed in showing the shows in a consistant regular manner. Time slots changed, days changed, in some cases the show hopped networks and they still stuffed it up.

Last edited by hark40; 23-10-2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Forgot Dark Angel.
hark40 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #5
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I thought the original Six Million Dollar Man was a good series until it slowly slid into pre cancellation hell.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 23-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Agreed, we watched it as a family. I'd forgetten about Land of the Giants and Time Tunnel
Old 23-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
CR
Science Officer

Land of the Lost was actually pretty interesting for its first two seasons (which I have on DVD). The third season abandoned all continuity and decent sci-fi sense and got silly (which is why I igonore it). Somewhat cheesey production values aside, it's not bad. (Hey, the same's been said about Doctor Who!)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 05:10 AM   #8
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Space: 1999, UFO & Thunderbirds, of course
Red Dwarf
Project UFO - liked it as a kid, haven't seen it for years (wonder if I'd still like it?)
The Avengers
First few seasons of X-Files - seemed to lose the plot in later years, although Doggett was much cooler than Fox 'Whiny' Mulder
Day of the Triffids mini-series
Six Million Dollar Man
Dr Who
Didn't see much of Sliders, but what I saw I enjoyed

I think I can make a case for the Goodies - alternate futures & histories, cyborgs, robots, space travel, alien invasions, clown serum and giant kittens!
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #9
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Gracious.. never heard of it
Old 24-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #10
doon
Communications Officer

For what it is worth,
Farscape
Original Galactica
New Galactica
Bab 5
Oprah
Heroes
Sliders, not the last season tho

doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-10-2007, 05:07 PM   #11
cricket
Medical Officer

Oprah? Am I missing something here?
Old 24-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #12
doon
Communications Officer

Sorry,
That should have been under horror
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #13
cricket
Medical Officer

Old 24-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #14
hark40
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_D View Post
As there seem to be quite a few Australian fans here,who rememers an Australian sci-fi show called 'Phoenix Five'?
Don't remember that one, but there was another "sci-fi" show on the ABC probably in the late 70s/early 80s which was a political sci-fi show where the main character was put into a "cold sleep" for a decade or so and wakes up to find NSW is now a police state run by a corrupt premier. Of course, it then becomes a bit like the Fugutive with the Police chasing this guy while he is trying to bring down the government. Vaguely remember the futuristic cars they drove years in the future were XD Falcons.... A bit OT, but.

Other shows I forgot to add was Sliders and Quantum Leap. Also rememeber a show called something like "Land that Time Forgot" where it is a bunch of people on a boat caught in the Bermuda Triangle end up on somewhere else trying to get back to earth. They meet up with someone who uses a tuning fork to do some funky stuff. There was also an annoying kid in it as well. (No net Wesley!!)
hark40 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 09:40 PM   #15
cricket
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hark40 View Post
Also rememeber a show called something like "Land that Time Forgot" where it is a bunch of people on a boat caught in the Bermuda Triangle end up on somewhere else trying to get back to earth. They meet up with someone who uses a tuning fork to do some funky stuff. There was also an annoying kid in it as well. (No net Wesley!!)
Fantastic Journey?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fantastic_Journey

Old 24-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #16
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

When I was a kid -

Space Patrol
Thunderbirds
Captain Scarlet
Marine Boy
The Man From UNCLE
The Champions
The Jetsons
UFO
Who's Two to Four
Space:1999

Later discoveries -

The Invisible Man
The Avengers
The Prisoner
The Outer Limits

Sat through tons of Irwin Allen shows hoping they might get better and felt equally disappointed with most 70s US shows. Can't say I watch much recent stuff. Dark Skies almost worked, and Supernatural is pretty cool, but I find most modern TV sci-fi all a bit samey. New Who has its moments, but not enough of them for me. Retro rules !
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2007, 12:03 AM   #17
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Was it in the 80s or the 90s?? we had a show made in Australia about a future cop whose travelled back in time to catch the killers of the World president. He's stronger, faster etc than the people of the present, I think it ran a series here and that was that aarrrgh!!! What was the name of it... (Filmed where I used to live in Brisbane QLD

My wife likes vegging out to Oprah... a good horror sci-fi mix if you ask me.
Old 25-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #18
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Don't forget those classic Aussie SF movies 'The Time Guardian' and 'Turkey Shoot'!
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2007, 03:27 PM   #19
TonyB
Forum Supporter

As there seem to be quite a few Australian fans here,who remembers an Australian sci-fi show called 'Phoenix Five'?

I can remember that show, it was on here in the UK around the mid 60s, not seen it since though.

I remember one particular episode where a woman, an alien IIRC kept transforming into a black cat, I always thought it odd that the automatic doors worked as well for a cat as they did for a normal human. Mind you the woman needed to get to area's of the ship to do whatever, it would have been a short story if the doors had kept the cat out.

I would assume that series is remembered with rose tinted glasses.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #20
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

Space:1999
Star Trek:TOS (I grew increasingly disenchanted with Trek though)
Babylon 5
Farscape
Battlestar Galactica original and new, though NOT Galactica 80
V (Surprised no one has mentioned this)
Something is Out There
Dark Skies
SG-1 and Atlantis
Dark Angel
Firefly
Futurama
Dune the Sci Fi Channel version
Buck Rogers