Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Star Wars

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Default Revell AT-AT "Easy Kit"

I don't have a lot of time for " hard-core" modelling or kit building at the moment due to the raising of "ankle-biters" (one reason why I got into the P.E Die-casts), but while in a local toy shop I came across the new range of Star Wars "Easy Kits" at discounted prices . I'd seen these kits about , but to be honest , had been put off by the unappealing packaging . The boxes feature photos of the actual kits and this gives a really "toy-like" appearance . Anyhoo, my interest was piqued by the (huge) box of the AT-AT . As the box was already open (cough!), I took a peek inside and was quite impressed by the contents , this baby looked big! I gave in to temptation and bought one .

The first thing that hits you IS the size of the model and although not enormous,the completed model stands a good 12" tall and comes "pre-painted", though in reality this amounts to a little weathering and paint streaks. The point is though , this is very well excecuted and results in a model which , with minimal effort , is a pretty good replica of the "real" thing .

It was at this point I realised what a good concept these kits are . "Snap kits", used to be the poor relative of "real" kits , but nowadays the production technology has progressed to a level where the kit parts fit together really well , on my model 99% of the joins are so tight that the seams are near invisible . The parts are crisply moulded and all proportions look more or less spot on , though the details are not as fine as the old Ertl/Amt kit ( of which I'm a fan) ,the size makes up for it . It's round the "head" area which is the most lacking in detail , it would benefit from the addition of more armour plating at the sides and the replacing of the side-cannons with more authentically scaled ones , but only the more eagle-eyed of enthusiasts would even notice this . The legs are articulated at all the correct points and feature good, stiff "clicky" joints. No wobbly legs here!

As I said earlier, the concept behind these kits is a good one . Young children would have no problem building this kit in the space of an evening ( it took me about 1 1/2 hours of "laid back" building) and without the need for all that mucking about with paint and cement , the results are there immediately . On the other hand , more experienced modellers have a good basis for a more involved model and with a little effort , a fine replica could be produced . If the other models are as good as this , I can see me coming out of my kit-building retirement! ( Hmm, I wonder if the Snowspeeder is the same scale)

Last edited by thundergod; 04-11-2007 at 11:23 PM.
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
w8cmp
Science Officer

Looks like a nice size as a base kit for a superdetailing project...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I've not seen these. Looks like a good way to go.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 12:17 AM   #4
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

I've been researching the AT-AT and it seems like a good project to "detail-up" , as the only area that needs serious work is , like I said above , the head . I'm in the process of cleaning up the seams and joins and have given it a "mist- coat " of Halfords white primer and already it's looking much more authentic . As stated earlier , I don't really have the time to devote myself to a long term "super-detailing" project , but I'll definately have a crack at producing a "mid-level" replica ! If anyones interested , I'll keep you posted with my progress .
Old 27-10-2007, 01:58 AM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Yes please!!

Old 27-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

As I posted earlier , I've just misted a couple of coats of Halfords white over the entire model while fully assembled .( I intend to break it down into sub-assemblies to cement/fill/sand all the joins/seams ). The white is not a solid colour, some grey is visible through it and natural areas of shade are achieved. With a relatively large surface area such as this , this will help add a sense of scale.

The main body and legs need relatively little work ( at least for my purposes ), I'll add a couple of small details here and there from the spares box , so the area I'll be concentrating on is the head . As you can see from the pics , the side of the head is lacking in armour detailing and the guns are quite toy-like .

This means my next job is to build up the armour and add panelling with sheet styrene . I'll also need to fabricate some new side-cannons . My next post will cover these steps .
Old 28-10-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Thought I'd post a quick update of my progress as I'm back in work tommorrow and it might be a few days before I can get anything done . I've added the extra armour and a few details and already I'm happier with the appearance of the head . Speaking of details , although I'm using, in my opinion ,the best Star Wars modelling reference available ( "The Star Wars Chronicles" and "Sculpting A Galaxy"), my main source of guidance is the Ertl kit . This is because I would rather have two models which are consistant in their detailing as they will probably end up being displayed together . It helps that the older kit is pretty accurate to start with but an interesting point has arisen . A small section of detailing differs between the models , so I consulted my books to discover that BOTH were correct ! This could mean there were discrepancies between the studio miniatures or ,as I suspect ,that the miniatures were/are not bi-laterally symetrical . In English , the left and right sides of the AT-AT are not the same .Maybe the photos used to reference the Revell kit were mirror images ? Any info would be appreciated . Anyway , the upshot is , I'll leave the detailing as it is and put it down to "optional extras"!

Here's the head with the added armour .
Old 29-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #8
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Is the smaller AT-AT in front of the Snap-Kit the older Kit which was originally issued by Airfix? I wonder if the other new Revell Star Wars kits are larger too. Good work, thundergod!
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Yes Transporter , that is the Airfix kit . I'm still in the dark about most of the other kits in the new range . Going by first impressions , I'd say the Falcon is more or less the same size as the older kit , though not as well detailed and the Snowspeeder is smaller ( though I'm just estimating this one from the measurement on the back of the box). The Imperial Shuttle is definately smaller and not as detailed as it's Airfix/AMT counterpart but this is no surprise as the earlier kit is a large ( and gorgeous ) model !
Old 29-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #10
Transporter
Life Support Officer

I sold my Airfix Tyderium, AT-AT, Snowspeeder, small and large X-Wing and my Slave 1 (which took the most time to detail in point of view of its complicated colour), about a year ago. Somehow this is sad, but I was running out of space. Still the Revell AT-AT, the Tyderium and the Y-Wing look interesting to me...we shall see if I can withstand...
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #11
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

I was forgetting about the Y-Wing , it looks a little bigger than the old one but not as well detailed . I think I'd have to opt for the FineMoulds version , more expensive , but well worth it . I've still got the majority of the old Star Wars kits in the loft in varying stages of dis-repair , as well as a complete unbuilt Vaders Tie . I may well dig 'em out and see what I can do with them ! I've also got the "Pro-Builder" ( I think that's what it's called) Electronic X-Wing half built . The electronic functions were a pain in the arse , so I binned them and was just going to build it as a static model , but never got round to it .
Old 01-11-2007, 12:01 PM   #12
tak5haka
Eagle Pilot

Really nice to see decent shots of this kit. The talk at the moment is that it is 1/72(ish) scale, would you like to comment on your thoughts?

It would be great to see what you do with the guns issue.
tak5haka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #13
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

I imagine 1/72 sounds about right , but as I can't lay my hands on the dimensions involved at the moment , it'd be a guess! I suspect the packaging had some height specs , but I'm afraid the box went straight in the bin . ( The Wife runs a tight ship!) . As for the guns , it's most probably going to be a complete re-build .
Old 04-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #14
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

The guns will have to wait for the time being ( I intend to use brass tube of varying thicknesses ) , so until I get hold of materials , I've been getting on with the painting of the rest of the model . I airbrushed light coats of Tamiya "Sky Grey" in (sort of) random patches over the main body and legs , concentrating on areas of natural shade and the centre of panels etc . I then added a little white to the mix and added highlights . I kept this VERY subtle as I will be adding even lighter tones further down the line.

The question often raised in relation to Star Wars subjects is " what colour , white or grey?" and the easy answer is "both". The miniatures are mostly painted in a sort of "battleship grey ", but on film appear white , due to lighting etc. This technique of misting coats of both colours is a pretty good way of approximating this effect .

Above is a pic of the area of detail that I mentioned in an earlier post.( Remember , the bit that matched some photos but not others ? The tank-like shape just right of centre).
My attention now shifted to the head and I decided to get some primer on it to see how the added detail looked . This time I used Halfords Grey as this was pretty close to the original colour of the plastic. Although I intend to add a little more detail to this area , I decided to attach the head at this point because there would be some filling and sanding necessary before I could continue with the paint job . Again , this is modelling Star Wars can differ from other subjects . Rather than working with sub-assemblies , I like to get as much of the model assembled as soon as possible ,because this is how the original miniatures were worked upon . It can make painting inaccessible areas a little awkward , but it's generally the best way to go .

Next , I intend to work on the "neck" area , where I need to do a bit of filling ,sanding etc , as well as tidying up any areas that need it , before I get stuck into that head!
Old 05-11-2007, 02:02 AM   #15
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Its really coming together beautifully. I love the shot without the head.... looks very "wrong" Brilliant

Old 11-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #16
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Another weekend , another AT-AT session ! First of all , a confession . After me saying in my last post about fixing the head , I ended up removing it again with the help of my razor-saw ! This was because the seam line of the two neck parts needed a LOT of work and I just couldn't get at it . Anyway , this made it easier to work on the cleaning up of the head .

Next it was out with the airbrush again to add more shading ,only with Tamiya Neutral grey . Again , the areas of natural shade were targetted but this time I was more specific and I also concentrated on the underside of the main body . As before , subtlety is the key here , to over-do it at this stage would ruin the effect I am trying to achieve .As per routine , I then used a Sky Grey /White mix to pick out highlights and I then misted a VERY fine white coat over the entire model , blending all the previous coats together .

As for the painting of the head , I followed the same procedure before re-attaching it to the body . At this point I realised that I had overlooked some panel detail on the side of the armour that I have added , so rather than trying to scribe it on , which although not impossible , would have been a pain , I decided to simulate it with masking tape and paint . ( Unfortunately , I took the last photo BEFORE this stage ).
Old 11-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #17
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Another weekend , another AT-AT session ! First of all , a confession . After me saying in my last post about fixing the head , I ended up removing it again with the help of my razor-saw ! This was because the seam line of the two neck parts needed a LOT of work and I just couldn't get at it . Anyway , this made it easier to work on the cleaning up of the head .

Next it was out with the airbrush again to add more shading ,only with Tamiya Neutral Grey . Again , the areas of natural shade were targetted but this time I was more specific and I also concentrated on the underside of the main body . As before , subtlety is the key here , to over-do it at this stage would ruin the effect I am trying to achieve .As per routine , I then used a Sky Grey /White mix to pick out highlights and I then misted a VERY fine white coat over the entire model , blending all the previous coats together .

As for the painting of the head , I followed the same procedure before re-attaching it to the body . At this point I realised that I had overlooked some panel detail on the side of the armour that I have added , so rather than trying to scribe it on , which although not impossible , would have been a pain , I decided to simulate it with masking tape and paint . ( Unfortunately , I took the last photo BEFORE this stage ).

So , as I sit back and admire my handiwork , I'm girding myself for the next stage of this project , the weathering ! Depending on your preference , this can either be the best or the worst part of a modelling job . I personally love this task , because this, especially with a Star Wars subject ,is when a model really comes to life .
Old 12-11-2007, 12:45 AM   #18
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Its looking fabulous so far.
Old 13-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #19
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

I managed to start the weathering process earlier than expected ( I could easily get back into this modelling lark , given half a chance!) with a black wash made up of oil paint and white spirit . Under normal circumstances , black would be too harsh and shades of grey would be used , but again , for Star Wars models , the rules are slightly different and I find the black works fine . The thing is though , every time I use this principle , I think the same thing . " Crap ! I've ruined it!!" This is because, it ALWAYS and I repeat ALWAYS looks a bloody mess until it dries and as I use oil paints in the mix , this can take up to 12 hours or so . So the point is , if you're trying this for the first time , don't panic . I concentrated the wash heaviest around the leg joints and let it run into all the nooks and crannies, bringing out the little areas of detail . The entire model was covered in this manner and runs , streaks etc , were encouraged to drip down from access ports , hatches and the like .Smudges and stains were added with the help of clean white spirit and a bit of kitchen roll.This is hardly a groundbreaking technique ,but it's effectiveness cannot be overstressed . Get a hang of this and you're laughing . ( At this point , I'll apologise for the dodgy photos , as my camera seems to be playing up at the moment!)

I also took the oportunity to try out a product I've never used before , a Tamiya Weathering Stick . I'd seen them in model shops , but due to my modelling "sabbatical" have never indulged myself . If you're not familiar , it's like a lipstick/pen type of arrangement you simply apply like a ,er, lipstick/pen type of thing ! Using the "snow" variety seemed to make sense and I added this around the feet and lower legs . Less is definately more with this and I found that after a little practice , the effect was surprisingly good .

I reckon I'm about 80% finished with this project now , and I must admit it's been a great kit to work on . I've encountered no real problems and the model is shaping up to be a really good looking replica . Two or three of these would look awesome in a diorama , but that way lies madness! ( I must go now , The Wife is giving me "The Look" again .

Old 16-11-2007, 04:26 AM   #20
CR
Science Officer

Lookin' good!
And it sounds like you've had a lot of fun doing it. That's important!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote