SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
poopville
Chef

Default Space: 1999 Aftershock

Has anyone noticed this?
From what I can gather, there is a 6-part comic series coming out in February. They are expanding on what happens on Earth as the moon gets blown out of orbit. A disaster-movie sort of plot possibly? And also a web-comic that might be a kind of "Season 3"?
The artist has been posting works in progress on his deviantart.com page.
I didn't recognize any of the characters except possibly Commissioner Simmonds... so it seems the story would start before Breakaway.
Check it out!

http://davidhueso.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2us3f7

http://davidhueso.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2zd3xl

http://davidhueso.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2us4j6

Last edited by poopville; 28-09-2010 at 02:07 PM.
poopville is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
cricket
Medical Officer

Interesting. From a caption under one of the images:

"We will be working on a free online comic of Space 1999 this year , that will be a preview of the events that take place on futue books regarding the new and old crew of the series and i hope an starting point for new seasons of the Tv series . I will keep you inform."

and

"cause the action of the new comic will take place about 50 or 60 years after the old series"

Apparently it is due to show up in 02/2011 at this site:

http://www.archaia.com/

The characters above: "These here are the main characters of the series." It seems the Darians are to return, and perhaps Zantor's people as well.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
poopville
Chef

I'm really liking the stylized art and his take on the uniforms for the web comic...

Seems like year 2 evolved somewhat. Don't see any of the familiar cast. I wonder if they would have had license to be able to use any of the original actor's likenesses or not. Maybe that is why they have it set 60 years forward.

I kind of like how they did away with the flared polyester pants and gave them boots. Always thought those pants seemed really impractical anywhere outside the clean white interiors of Alpha!
Old 28-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

I like to see the artists slight changes after 50 or 60 years to the Space:1999 we all know, without the loss of the original designs totally. The one image of a Mark IX Hawk squadron in a hangar of sorts suspended from the ceiling is interesting too. My major question is what (if any) changes have the artists brought to the Eagle Transporter?
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
scatta
Astrophysics Technician

Drew Gaska (Blam! Ventures) Initially has two two stories, one following Breakaway (Aftershock) but with more from Earth's viewpoint, and the other (Mission:Alphaprobe) which is a rescue mission from Earth which will travel the course towards the Moon passing through where Alpha has been - hence meeting our old friends and foes!
Drew is an amazing visionary.

scatta is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatta View Post
Drew Gaska (Blam! Ventures) Initially has two two stories, one following Breakaway (Aftershock) but with more from Earth's viewpoint, and the other (Mission:Alphaprobe) which is a rescue mission from Earth which will travel the course towards the Moon passing through where Alpha has been - hence meeting our old friends and foes!
Absolutely agree.
Old 28-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
scatta
Astrophysics Technician

BTW, these Space:1999 adventures are not set further into the future - that's another story that hasn't been officially announced (yet!)
Old 28-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
BTW, these Space:1999 adventures are not set further into the future - that's another story that hasn't been officially announced (yet!)
Yes, that is great to see all of these projects.
Blam Ventures:
Aftershock!
Mission:Alphaprobe
" ? " ( yet to be announced)

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 28-09-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 28-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
poopville
Chef

[quote=scatta;192416]Drew Gaska (Blam! Ventures) Initially has two two stories, one following Breakaway (Aftershock) but with more from Earth's viewpoint, and the other (Mission:Alphaprobe) which is a rescue mission from Earth which will travel the course towards the Moon passing through where Alpha has been - hence meeting our old friends and foes!

These situations sound like they would would allow stories to be told in the Space: 1999 universe without much or any interaction with Koenig, Russell, Bergman, etc.
That makes it sound like they don't have the rights to use likenesses of the original actors.
A little disappointing if that's true but still any new quality Space:1999 is great.

Or maybe the stylized art will be a way to use the original series characters without them having to look exactly like the real actors. Kind of like what they did with the "Real Ghostbusters" cartoon back when that came out.
Old 28-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
scatta
Astrophysics Technician

These graphic novels will be a licenced product. The only restrictions on 'likeness' is Landau & Bain's. Their appearance may be changed to circumvent this. The artwork I've seen for Tony, Sandra, Maya, Yasko, Alan & Victor was pretty true.

Old 28-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
TonyB
Forum Supporter

This is looking very interesting, I like some of the artwork shown above. Need to keep an eye out for further development on this.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
poopville
Chef

Quote:
These graphic novels will be a licenced product. The only restrictions on 'likeness' is Landau & Bain's. Their appearance may be changed to circumvent this. The artwork I've seen for Tony, Sandra, Maya, Yasko, Alan & Victor was pretty true.
This is great! I'm geeked for this like a little kid.
Old 28-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #13
Knight1966
Communications Officer

Had a browse of the main Gallery and the updated hawk gets a thumbs up as far as i'm concerned, clearly a hawk in origin and updated just enough to keep it modern.
Knight1966 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #14
Retroboy
Astrophysics Technician

For the most part I like what I see , although I think the boots and shoulder pads wander too far into superhero cartoon territory . Looks very interesting though .
Retroboy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #15
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Well, two of the characters I recognize in the Aftershock "cover" artwork are the council members that were introduced in the boardroom scenes shot for the "Alien Attack" movie version of Breakaway and Wargames. They are wearing the red and black shirts. The astronaut in the spacesuit "might" be Tony Celini as they never quite explained in the show how he managed to get off his grounded status and returned to the moon before breakaway. Only logical explaination I can think of is he was the pilot for Commisioner Simmonds Eagle and thus was on hand as a "character witness" for Simmonds in regards to Koenig's behaviour regarding his Emergency Alpha: Code One communique. But the artifacts in Tony's room imply he was there for some time, unless those were simply stored and never shipped back to Earth, so Tony had a chance to move back in again.
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-09-2010, 03:01 AM   #16
poopville
Chef

An interview with the writer...

http://www.popculturehound.com/news/...le-Can-Expect/

Doesn't really get into the Space: 1999 stuff until the end but there's some more interesting clues...

"In addition to Planet Of The Apes, BLAM! has the rights to another popular license from the 1970s, SPACE: 1999. There has been relatively no new product for this series since the early 1980s; my co-writer, John Kenneth Muir, and I are working to give the SPACE:1999 saga the continuation—and conclusion—it deserves. I can’t give away too much right now, as an official press release will be coming the week of San Diego Comic-Con, but our first comics’ offering will be a mini-series entitled Aftershock, and will tell the story of what happened to the Earth the day the moon blasted out of orbit. Designed as a starting off point for new readers as well as filling in the blanks for long time fans, Aftershock is what every big budget disaster movie should be: a character-driven story that showcases how a catastrophe affects people from all walks of life and what they do to pull through it."
Old 29-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #17
cricket
Medical Officer

Working with John Kenneth Muir? Well, that sounds promising. He wrote a very nice POWYS novel that had excellent characterization and a very good plot.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #18
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

The co-writer John Kenneth Muir also wrote the non-fiction 'Exploring Space:1999' book on the history of the series.
Old 30-09-2010, 03:10 AM   #19
ResinBabes
Travel Tube Technician

The tall character with the long hair looks like "Capt. Zantor" from "Earthbound".
Could be a continuation of the story after the Kaldorians have arrived on earth.

Last edited by ResinBabes; 30-09-2010 at 03:19 AM.
ResinBabes is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #20
gogs100
Geological Technician

And the girl to the right of Zantor, I presume, is the Joan Collins character from Mission of the Darians (same hair anyway).
gogs100 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote