Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Observatory > Taybor's Emporium - Classified Adverts

Notices

SPONSORED BY

Closed Thread Bookmark and Share

Old 29-09-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default Moonbase Alpha for sale....

Hi Guys,

I would like to draw your attention to the following:

For sale: The original Moonbase Alpha Model Studio Model.

Please refer to the attached photos. The owner would prefer this to remain in the UK, but in the end wants the best price for this unique piece of TV history. He has an offer in hand of 10,000 stirling so offers over this would be considered. This is the holy grail of props and is a one off.

I was allowed total access to the model for a photo shoot as the seller is a good friend and well known to me. He wanted to support the forum by allowing a CAD drawing & CD of photographs to be made and sold to raise funds for the forum development and has now decided to offer the model for sale to the highest bidder.

The seller would prefer to deal with me as agent and I will be happy to personally deliver this model within the UK or close Europe for a negotiated fee, via collection in person or shipping with your courier.

Model History
The model was originally fixed via screws to a 12 x 12 foot baseboard, upon closing the Blackpool exhibition Phil Rae had to urgently remove as much as possible from the premises before everything was cleared out. He had to make a few tough decisions one of which was to forcibly remove the buildings from the baseboard and plaster moon surface. Most items came away easily except for the launch pads which, due to their shape, trapped them in the plaster. It was impossible to remove them quickly without totally destroying them and indeed that is exactly what happened so these parts were discarded.

The model is made from shaped block board laminated with Perspex, then detailed with styrene sheeting and kit parts. All the major building components are present with the exception of the small buildings at the ends of the travel tubes and the launch pads as noted. Two of the original travel tubes are included however with replica replacements being easy to supply. The Scotch Lite / Transflex reflective lighting material is intact and works well as can be seen in the photos.

General Condition:
The condition of the wooden elements is excellent with no signs of warping or shrinkage or other undue movement, there are a few areas where lifting of the detail laminating panels is evident and a few small panels are lost but this is minimal. The model has a small bag of displaced panels included. The model has not been altered or molested in anyway and is exactly as screen used with the exception of the above noted.

A very small amount of restoration work is needed, the bulk of this is to replace the few missing or damaged kit parts, fabricate missing panels from photo reference, reattach the detached parts and stabilise the lifting panels. No repainting is required anywhere except to match the lost items as indicated. Some cleaning may be beneficial in a few areas but this is at the buyers discretion.

Overall I would say this model is 90% complete and in quite remarkable condition even considering it's age. There are really only two areas to note, the first is on the roof of main mission where a panel is detached and lost, (see photo 1) this had little detail and is simple to replicate as it's outline is still present.

Photo 2 is a circular well that has a crack around it's base and is the only evidence of damage during removal from the baseboard, it's noticeable from the outside but needs attention to stabilise it from possible further damage in the future.

This is a sizable model with a span as is of 5 - 6 feet when laid out in it's original configuration, see photo 3. This would be larger again if the missing Launch Pads were replicated and added to complete.

And close up to highlight the reflective window details:

Provenance: There is a clear ownership path from the model acquisition from the studio to the present owner so it's validity could be verified easily, I am totally satisfied this is the genuine prop and my reasoning for this will be certified after the sale as part of the buyers complete record of purchase. The seller is not VAT registered so no VAT will be charged.

I would be happy to quote for the restoration work and replacement of missing details to return this model to display condition.

To make an offer or to ask questions please email: admin@eagletransporter.com

Cap'n
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 29-09-2010, 01:25 AM   #2
NeoGoglu
Eagle Pilot

/Falls unconcious
NeoGoglu is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 29-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
cricket
Medical Officer

I am officially gob-smacked. I truly hope the future owner respects this piece for the piece of television history it is.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 29-09-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
scatta
Astrophysics Technician

oh, what a beaut... the owner is going to regret selling this - no matter what price Alpha fetches.
scatta is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 29-09-2010, 03:03 AM   #5
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

The sight of that Alpha Moonbase model has had an emotional effect on me since I first saw "Breakaway" September 1975 as an eleven year old boy. This has to be regarded as the holy grail of science-fiction miniatures and deserves to be restored 100% for a secure home in the UK. It deserves that, I remember seeing in the '70s when the U.S. Smithsonian Institute restored the original large 1701 Enterprise model of Star Trek 1966-69 tv series for permanent display. Let's hope that our Alpha gets a similar dignified home too.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 29-09-2010, 04:48 AM   #6
Lee S
Eagle Pilot

WOW!
Ok everyone go buy a lotto ticket! :-)

So when will the photo CD be sold? I certainly would buy a copy. Any chance some scale/colour reference was used in any of them? I'm not planning to build a replica, but it's always good to have.

L
Lee S is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 29-09-2010, 06:38 AM   #7
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Smile Moonbase Alpha CAD Drawing

Hi Lee,

Working on this now. I am hoping to produce this as a physical full size drawing over several sheets obviously with layer information and kit part identification already detailed.

Due to the volume of work required to produce this set of drawings I am seriously considering producing this as editions. Once a part of the model is completed, publish and move to the next section. Thoughts on this would be welcomed.

Back to the drawing board.

Cap'n
Old 29-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #8
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default Weak at the knees....

Hi Guys,

This prop is just amazing, I have seen a lot of original models in my time but this one has them all beat. I wish I had the money to buy this, I really do. I am still hopeful that it will go to a sympathetic UK buyer who will treasure this as much as I would.

To answer a few questions:

There is little in the way of dirtying down, age and moon dust have done this naturally.

The base colour is primer white, the images you can see were taken on a new camera bought for the occasion a Nikon D70s. We were staging the lighting as best as possible to illuminate the model with long shadows in later shots, it was a dull and very overcast day.

I will take more photos under controlled studio conditions if time allows between selling and delivery.

If you want to make an offer please email admin@eagletransporter.com

This is a very important piece of British television history and quite possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity. If you want to make an offer don't hesitate as I have no idea how long this will be for sale.

Cap'n
Old 29-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
rockwellcm
Communications Officer

1)Rockwellcm

Thats me on the list Bernie for the plans

Good luck with the sale,i dont have the room for it,but its very very nice indeed
if i owned it i would not sell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
Hi Lee,

Working on this now. I am hoping to produce this as a physical full size drawing over several sheets obviously with layer information and kit part identification already detailed.

Due to the volume of work required to produce this set of drawings I am seriously considering producing this as editions. Once a part of the model is completed, publish and move to the next section. Thoughts on this would be welcomed.

Back to the drawing board.

Cap'n
rockwellcm is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 29-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #10
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Thumbs up Make room, make room.....

If I had the money I would hang it on a wall like a painting, it has also been suggested that it would make an interesting alternative to Artex as a ceiling decoration. By far the most sensible suggestion is under glass as a round dining table. Once the CAD plan is completed that's how I will be displaying my replica.

Time to start saving up to buy the 30 odd Gemini kits, 10 Saturn V's & 20 sheets of EMA plasticard for detailing. I guess as well as the drawing I could produce a laser kit of the base structure.

I'll start a separate thread for these ideas.

Cap'n
Old 29-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Bernie, this is just amaaaaaaaziiiiing! I haven't seen this baby since the original display at the Blackpool exhibitions! This is torture! I would buy this like a shot, if I weren't between jobs And I've already worked out that I would need to sell so many organs, that I wouldn't be alive to enjoy it! Of course I could always sell the rest of my collection to fund it
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 29-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
david_b
Life Support Technician

As long as it's loved and kept in it's current (or improved) condition, I'll be happy.

david_b
david_b is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 29-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #13
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Exclamation Consortium anyone?

I'm limited on how much I can put in but I think its worth trying to buy it within the forum so we can share and enjoy it.

2000 minimum.

However I don't think its going to go up much in value, so don't waste your pension fund on it
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 29-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #14
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Just for the record my preference would be to stabilise anything that was loose but NOT restore missing parts with reproductions.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Let's not let it slip away into a collection never to see the light of day for another 30 years.
Old 30-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #15
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Have had a firm offer for one my kidneys just waiting for a price for my left b%ck.
Old 30-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #16
clanger68
Computer Technician

Wow, oh wow!

I'd heard that the model was still around, somewhere, but I've never seen it, or any photos of it.

It's huge!

It is also a lot more detailed than I had realised, that's a lot of kits, building a replica would be a scary prospect.

What an iconic piece of entertaiment history, it is amazing that it is still so complete after all this time, and after the quite scary Blackpool experience.

A truly unique item as well, there are several Eagles but only one Moonbase Alpha!

I love this photo, you can just imagine Koenig and his fellow Alphans busy beevering away, trying to survive within those corridors!

Thank you so much for taking and sharing the photos.

Opportunities like this don't present themselves every day do they.

It is out of my budget but I hope the sale goes well and the new owner will have something that is truly out of this world!

Cheers,

'A truly gobsmacked'

Andy.
clanger68 is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 30-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #17
NeoGoglu
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalfa View Post
Have had a firm offer for one my kidneys just waiting for a price for my left b%ck.
Act fast ! Because i'm seriously thinking about a new mortgage on my house for this one.

Oh yeah ! I remember, no one outside the UK.

Nevermind the mortgage, i sell the house and move to England

Last edited by NeoGoglu; 30-09-2010 at 09:11 PM.
NeoGoglu is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 30-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #18
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default Alpha reference....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S View Post
WOW!
Ok everyone go buy a lotto ticket! :-)

So when will the photo CD be sold? I certainly would buy a copy. Any chance some scale/colour reference was used in any of them? I'm not planning to build a replica, but it's always good to have.

L
Fear not..!!

I am producing a full scale printed CAD drawing as fast as time allows me, Every bump and wrinkle has been photographed and a CD of images will accompany the printed plan set.

This is a major amount of work and the site always needs cash for development so how about I complete one section and offer it out for sale? I almost have Main Mission finished and it's a layer by layer affair with four side views of every cotton picking panel....

I will also be offering a laser cut panel kit so you too can build a model with me, building by building.

Check details here and register if you are interested.

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...002#post195002

Cap'n
Old 30-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #19
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Thumbs up Sales outside the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGoglu View Post
Act fast ! Because i'm seriously thinking about a new mortgage on my house for this one.

Oh yeah ! I remember, no one outside the UK.

Nevermind the mortgage, i sell the house and move to England
Hi Neo,

Just to be clear, there are no objections to a buyer outside the UK, so stay put and make an offer.

Cap'n
Old 01-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #20
david_b
Life Support Technician

I had the same thoughts, just going to the bank for a equity line of credit and laying down the cash, if I WASN'T MARRIED..!?!?!?!

I'd easily put down $20k (US Funds..), and another couple hundred just for the shipping. I make about $8k a month, paying it down would take just over a year with interest and easy payments...

I would do it without even thinking. Trust me. It would NEVER be regretted.

Make no mistake, the bragging rights (let alone paid con appearances) would be the thrill of a lifetime.

david_b
david_b is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Closed Thread