Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-11-2007, 03:11 AM   #1
tx4
Medical Technician

Default Aircraft Fleet Review

After some discussion in one of the Fleet threads in DD,
and some encouragement to post here in this section,
I decided to post the following, about 3/4 of my "fleet."
I actually have a lot more aircraft models than Eagle models,
though since I'll be getting more Eagles and some of these are
going into storage, I figured better get some pics of these now!
There are various scales: 1:600, 1:500, 1:400, 1:250, and other.
I don't have them separated by scale or displayed in any special way,
though I have found some neat, mostly out of the way places to display
them, so little cabinet space is taken up.

The most interesting spot (to me) is probably a floor lamp I
picked up, and a matching table lamp (not pictured) as well.

Some brands I recall: Schabak, Herpa, Dragon, Gemini, Corgi.
I'd have to dig out the boxes I kept for more of the brands.
Some are new, some are used, a few seem old (not sure).

The first picture includes one of my favorites, a Republic DC-9, a model of a plane very similar to the first plane I ever flew in (a Republic DC-9, probably a -30, back in 1982). Later on is another of my favorites: a Space Shuttle stack. As something different, I also really like the wooden Spax and DC-4, which were gifts.

Spax
DC-4
AA 727, UA 737
technically toys rather than models, but they're kind of nice looking.
rolls nicely on a better surface
nice advantage of a vaulted ceiling and an open kitchen design

some items in storage (and next pic too)

Three images are a little too big (width, mostly), so I'm linking them instead.

Another -- the little Northwest DC-10 sort of hiding right in the middle is what got this started. I bought this one in the aerospace museum in Balboa Park in San Diego, and within a couple months, I was looking for more.

Air Force Ones

four items at work, including Apollo "display"

Anyone else have fleets (any number) to share?

Last edited by tx4; 13-11-2007 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Clarification on scale; Spax and DC-4 as favorites too
tx4 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 05:37 AM   #2
w8cmp
Science Officer

Here you go...mostly 1:400 scale, but a few others thrown in for good measure. And this is only about half of the fleet !

http://www.hovercraft-museum.org/eagle/aircraft1.jpg

http://www.hovercraft-museum.org/eagle/aircraft2.jpg

Chris
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Tx4, that’s an amazing collection!

Among many others, I particularly like that DC4 carved in wood, very nice display piece! That WW1 biplane also caught my eye, is it a French Spad or is it an Albatross?

I’m also a great fan of the old colours and I’m glad to notice that you have quite a few classics like that Braniff 747, Delta DC8, TWA 737, United 747 and 737, AA 727 etc.
The Alitalia Baci is a gem! I don't have that one (shame, I know!) but iI have the Alitalia Bulgari...also from DW.

Most of my aircraft collection is boxed due to lack of space but I will definitely take my faves out of their boxes for a photo shoot later in the week.

I lately succumbed to the temptation to order a TAP Air Portugal (old colours) from Bader Models in Bahrain ( http://www.badermodels.com/ ). The model (1:200) is beautifully crafted, the best I’ve seen of its kind. Pictures of this (unique) model can be seen here:

http://www.badermodels.com/cgi-bin/i...=and&x=10&y=13

I will obviously show my own pics of the model soon.

By the way, the A380 made it’s first landing in YUL (Montreal) yesterday! It was a promotional flight full of dignitaries and a bunch of lucky rats that won some contest. The Air France A380, is scheduled to fly between Montreal and Paris on a weekly basis…no confirm dates yet.

Speaking of Airbus, the brand new mega-huge Iberia A360 had a bit of a landing mishap last Friday in Quito/Ecuador. Fortunately no one was hurt but the plane was badly damaged…a total shame!
Check pics here:

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/2054/1291038zj4.jpg

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/6154/1291345lm2.jpg

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2451/1291346sx0.jpg

Thanks for sharing those amazing pics tx4 and w8cmp

Jorge
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
tx4
Medical Technician

Chris (w8cmp),

Excellent collection, and well-displayed too! I can see the advantage of collecting mostly at one scale, or at least having one display dominated mostly by one scale, for having a really good idea of the different relative sizes of the aircraft themselves, and just general consistency.

I started at 1:600 for awhile before I migrated to 1:400 for the better quality, and then started buying some 1:250's; but I was slower at buying the larger-scaled models. Most of my 1:600's ended up perched up and down the two lamps I mentioned. I think I'll start "rotating" some of the collection more by scale, until I can find a better shelving situation than that filing cabinet top, which will probably end up with one or two Eagles on it instead! My 1:250's will remain out because most are on top of the kitchen cabinets and the top of the 7' open-topped walls below the vaulted ceiling.

Your Antonovs and A-380's that are "taking off" over the variety of much smaller jetliners on the top shelf of your display really makes for an effective comparison! That glass shelving on vertical rails is really an effective and compact display option that for some reason had not occurred to me to try, and probably also would work nicely to separate various scales better too but still be able to display more aircraft. Hmm, you have a good idea there....

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by tx4; 13-11-2007 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Added "Chris (w8cmp)" at start of note for clarity
Old 13-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
cricket
Medical Officer

Coming from one of the blimp centers in the US, Go Goodyear!
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 13-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
w8cmp
Science Officer

If they did a blimp in 1:400 scale, I'd certainly buy it !
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
cricket
Medical Officer

What would you say is the scale for the blimp in tx4's picture just below the upright shuttle?
Old 13-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #8
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
What would you say is the scale for the blimp in tx4's picture just below the upright shuttle?
....looks like a “Flying Mule” model scaled at 1:350.

Jorge
Old 13-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
cricket
Medical Officer

Thanks!
Old 13-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #10
tx4
Medical Technician

Everyone: Thanks again!

I have only a short time to write right now, so I'll reply more fully later, but I wanted to mention a few things right away.

w8cmp, cricket: The Goodyear Blimp is indeed 1:350 scale (good eye, Chris!), but I never heard of Flying Mule as a brand. The blimp was a more recent addition of mine, in the Spring I think, so I thought the box would be more handy to find in a minute or two, and it was. The brand is Postage Stamp Planes and is apparently co-branded "Model Power." I actually have a several more PSP planes, including a B-52 that I have not yet unboxed (lack of space until I rotate some others out and/or get some shelving). Whether PSP / MP are related to "Flying Mule," I don't know. BTW, the blimp, which is diecast, was bought at Hobby Lobby, though I think most of the rest of my PSP planes were bought at a small hobby shop I visit sometimes when downstate.

Besides the picture the image which appeared directly at the top of the thread, another view of the same filing cabinet top was in the "Another" link, but here it is again: link. I may try to take a better-quality version of that picture this weekend.

Chris (Eagletransporter): Thank you very much! Like I said, I'll reply further later on, but here are a few replies....

The WWI biplane was in a box labeled Spax, so I've been calling it a Spax ever since, though when I looked it up some years back, I had trouble finding reference to "Spax," and as best as I recall, decided it appeared to be a Spad or some variant of a Spad. I had a few more details jotted at the time, and will check again to try confirming this. So I'm not entirely sure why it was labeled "Spax," unless that is a design variation, linguistic variation, a mistake, or something. I will take another picture of this model this weekend, and try putting it in better light.

The "Spax" and DC-4 were bought as gifts for me by my mother and my aunt, at a Milwaukee-area event (now defunct, I think) called Rummage-O-Rama, which besides used goods, also featured many new and custom-built items too, like these planes. I like these two planes so much they are actually the most prominently-displayed ones of my collection, right up front and almost center in my living room. The "Spax" looks like an especially intricate job for hand-carving.

The older-livery planes were fun finds. They were all larger scales, and are mostly in reasonably good shape still, except some wear on the Delta DC-8, and that the AA 727's tail was snapped at a diagonal angle and repaired some time before I bought it (I still thought it looked striking overall, and where I have it displayed, on top of kitchen cabinets, I don't really notice the repair unless I look for it). I will take some better pictures of those older livery models this weekend too, and post links once I have them.

I was sorry to have to temporarily put the Baci Alitalia in storage a couple months ago, but that will be very temporary, because I really like this one a lot. It is a very striking and unique set of colors. I can get a close-up picture of that one too, if you want (no trouble at all, since I already plan on re-taking a few other pictures already).

Note: Besides PSP, I noted another brand in my collection, besides the ones mentioned in my first note: Wooster. I also have at least one Sky Marks, a 1:120 BAe 146-300 regional jet (which I missed taking a picture of before).

Well, my short time is up. More later.

Thanks again, and I hope the information helps.

----David

Old 14-11-2007, 12:13 AM   #11
tx4
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletransporter View Post
Most of my aircraft collection is boxed due to lack of space but I will definitely take my faves out of their boxes for a photo shoot later in the week.
Jorge,

I checked out the TAP model link you sent, and it looks excellent! That ought to be fun to put on display.

So do you get to Montreal that often that you might see an A-380 in person at some point?

The largest aircraft I've seen closely in person are 747's. I've never flown on one, but I toured a -100 at an airshow some years back. Beautiful aircraft. I'm not sure it will be anytime soon that I see an A380, except from maybe 10km below! I can recognize 747's flying high above me sometimes, and it probably won't take long to figure out what an A380 looks like from that perspective!

I had not realized an A340-600 was longer than a 747-400 before I read up on it after looking at the runway overshoot photos you pointed out. I am glad no one was hurt in that incident, but it is definitely a shame to see airplanes damaged like that.

Please do post your pictures!

----David
Old 14-11-2007, 12:53 AM   #12
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

David, thanks for your interest once again and don’t worry, I will definitely take some of my birds out of their cages for a weekend photo session. In the meantime, here’s a peek at what I’ve got. I’ve got approximately 300 aircrafts (Dragons, Starjets, Herpa, Jet-X, Wooster, etc). Most are 1:400s but I’ve got a fair number of 1:200s as well. Yes, the lack of proper display space is evident and Eagles currently hold territorial supremacy….
Will write more later and won’t forget to answer and comment your last posts.
Thank you and enjoy!

B727 TAP (old colours) exclusive Bader models:

Loads of boxed birds…

….and an “old” promo Space: 1999 shot…

Old 14-11-2007, 02:58 AM   #13
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

David, found these 3 pics of my now dismantled mini "Don Muang", Bangkok's old Intl Airport. Thai Airways is one of my fave airlines for many reasons and I particularly like their old livery. The "Royal Barge" livery is IMO, one of the most beautiful liveries ever!
You will recongnize some of the popular Herpa terminals, hangar and accessories on these pics. The tarmac was commissioned to a pro model builder but I recently gave it away to a friend (yes, a little regret...).

And here's a pano pic of a 1:1 () Royal Barge B747 taken in BKK back in 2002. I just boarded another B747 (regular Thai livery) when this jewel parked by my side. An incredible moment!

http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=4ang7.jpg

Happy contrails!

Jorge
Old 15-11-2007, 12:57 AM   #14
tx4
Medical Technician

Quote:
And here's a pano pic of a 1:1 () Royal Barge B747 taken in BKK back in 2002. I just boarded another B747 (regular Thai livery) when this jewel parked by my side. An incredible moment!
Jorge,

Wow, spectacular livery on that one, for sure! Very unique, and I had not seen pictures of that before. So neat that you got to see it at "1:1" scale as you said , and that you also have a model of it. I think, but am not sure, I might have seen a Thai 747 once, when I was at LAX; but if so, it was definitely not one with that livery, because I would have remembered that. Very unique.

I see you got the TAP 727 now. Looks excellent! I also see from the larger picture of the top of the display case that you have some other TAP planes at a good scale too.

Quite a few boxes . The Herpa scene set looks like it was great. I don't have any terminal/hanger accessories, but I have seen the Herpa ones pictured before, or for sale. Very nice arrangement. That is also a great-looking display of Eagles in flight beyond the Eagle on the pad.
Old 15-11-2007, 01:27 AM   #15
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Many thanks David...you've got PM!
Jorge

PS...here's one of my 1:400 Royal Barges in flight with a little help of Corel Draw...

Old 16-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #16
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

They all look great. Having flown on two this week both ending with very poor landings, I'm glad I fly eagles
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 10:41 AM   #17
tx4
Medical Technician

Quote:
...here's one of my 1:400 Royal Barges in flight with a little help of Corel Draw...
Looks excellent. It is very sharp looking against that backdrop. I like the other contrails in the background too. The barge itself almost looks like it is floating across the clouds.
Old 20-11-2007, 12:45 AM   #18
tx4
Medical Technician

Quote:
That WW1 biplane also caught my eye, is it a French Spad or is it an Albatross?
Jorge,

I did a little checking and I am essentially certain now that the wooden airplane whose box was labeled "Spax" is a French SPAD S.VII -- biplane, equal wing sizes, one seat, and all the other details present on the model match photos of that particular plane.

I took some more pictures of a few of the planes older-livery planes this last weekend, in better light, but forgot to take the Spad. I will try to post the others soon, and get a better one of the Spad at some point too.
Old 20-11-2007, 12:50 PM   #19
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Hello David and thanks for the additional info on that famous biplane. So it is a French SPAD as I initially thought, lovely model that truly stands in your collection! Needless to say I’m looking forward to see your new batch of pics…I’m glad that you will take some new ones of the SPAD as well, a rare model!

As for me, I’ve already located the boxes of some of my fave liveries. I will soon take shots of the SIA 747 Tropical (see pic), both the Dragon Wings (1:400) and Strajets (1:500) version.

Sadly, due to the fatal take-off accident in Singapour (Oct. 2000), SIA revoked the licensing to reproduce this plane in die-cast version. I was lucky to get 2 of them soon after the accident.
I have also the beautiful B747 Alitalia Bulgari (DW 1:400) waiting to be photographed, along with some larger 1:200 Herpas. I just need time!
Stay tuned!

Last edited by Eagletransporter; 20-11-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 21-11-2007, 03:36 AM   #20
tx4
Medical Technician

Quote:
As for me, I’ve already located the boxes of some of my fave liveries. I will soon take shots of the SIA 747 Tropical (see pic)
Jorge,

Hello again. Indeed, beautiful livery on the SIA 747, even though it is sad about the fatal accident. Yep, I look forward to seeing more of those pictures when you have the time (ran short of that lately, myself).

Here are some better shots of some of my aircraft models pictured in my first post of this thread. One is inlined, the rest are links.

* mostly older liveries (high angle)

* mostly older liveries (lower angle)

* better view of various smaller planes on top of filing cabinet (and Goodyear Blimp)

* NWA 747-400, Alitalia Baci 747

Re-photographing the SPAD will have to wait until next week, I'm afraid; but I will definitely get a better picture of that one; definitely one of my favorites!