Default Iconic Replicas Hawk - updated pics

http://www.productenterprise.com/ir/s1999_hawk.html

Is that the production model?...
_
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

This is called customer feedback. The CM is dreadful which is a shame since it's the first thing people look at. Not crazy about the LEM legs around the main engine chamber either. The rest is OK-ish. Once again the smaller WARP version is better.

N.B. Hint to IR. Find profile photos of the original models and print up to the size you want the final model to be. Compare frequently during the build. Make lots of money from subsequent sales.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

That whole area around the engine looks wrong... almost too empty. Are the LM halfs too small or something? How could they possibly get that CM so wrong, after all the feed back and so forth. It seems strange that they can take the Warp eagle and base a winner on it and not do the same with the Warp Hawk.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The LM halves are too small but minor stuff is, well, minor. Thart's just to illustrate that I personally don't set the pole too high as far as expectation goes. However, the CM is so obviously wrong and such an important feature that they either don't care or don't see a problem. It shows either contempt for the "discerning" customers they claim to cater for or a lack of awareness, either way, not good aspects for a company that wants success in the replica market.
Old 16-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #5
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Maybe it reflects the well-known fact that IR’s CEO always had a profound dislike for this particular model and decided not to invest in a more accurate product…but even so, that's no reason…
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 16-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
w8cmp
Science Officer

I wager the 'discerning customers' may vote with their wallets...by keeping them shut in this instance.

discerning - able to make or detect effects of great subtlety; sensitive; "discerning taste"; "a discerning eye for color"; discriminating - showing or indicating careful judgment and discernment especially in matters of taste; "the discriminating eye of the connoisseur"

It's such a shame, as PE / IR have shown they have talented modellers available to produce accurate renditions of these craft. Why oh why can't they exercise the same care and attention to each of their releases, thus making them infinitely more collectable to the likes of us 'discerning collectors'. I for one would have bought all of these large scale releases if they had been a little closer to the originals. As it is there are very few I'm likely to purchase, even when they get marked down to half-price.
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #7
w8cmp
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletransporter View Post
Maybe it reflects the well-known fact that IR’s CEO always had a profound dislike for this particular model and decided not to invest in a more accurate product…but even so, that's no reason…
Maybe he's trying to make it so bad that no-one buys it, and he thus proves his point that no-one wants a Hawk
Old 16-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Bloomin' expensive way to prove a point and business suicide. I think it boils down to money but it's also true that skimping at the important stages costs far more in the long term. So far it's cost two sales.
Old 16-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
w8cmp
Science Officer

I think the same went for TB2 didn't it ?
Old 16-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #10
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The pattern certainly seems to be repeating itself. Maybe it's a replica company version of "The Producers"?

Old 16-11-2007, 06:53 PM   #11
fireflashfive
Eagle Pilot

Sad, sad, sad! Yet again IR are getting the fundamentals wrong. With all the reference material around, how are they making these mistakes? I'd have loved a Hawk in this scale but if this is the best they can do, I'll wait for a better atempt. So clock up another lost sale. Go back to what you did best PE/IR, great diecasts!!!

Doug.
fireflashfive is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #12
CR
Science Officer

Once again, if you're going to claim to cater to the discerning collector, make damn sure your product (or service) is as accurate as it can possibly be, because those 'discerning collectors' know their stuff and won't settle for less.

Last edited by CR; 16-11-2007 at 07:00 PM. Reason: typo
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 01:10 AM   #13
mastercaster
Life Support Technician

As I sit and look at the new updated photos of the IR Hawk, I can say without reservation that the pattern maker (Ian Crichton) has taken an RU Hawk kit and "re-worked" it. I am sitting here closely examining the kit parts and comparing them to the photos on IR's site. There are just way too many similarities in shape, details, and spacing. Even the size is exactly the same as the RU Hawk kit. The CM has exactly the same shape the RU kit has, as well as the spacing on the panels. The pattern maker has added some details to make it closer to the actual 1/24 version, but nonetheless it is the same RU kit underneath the new "skin". What a shame. It would seem that Eagletransporters comments about saving money on the pattern was dead on. Spruce up someone elses kit and you save a ton of money on the pattern work.

I am currently embarked on a mission to scratchbuild my own Hawk in approximately 1/48 scale. My total length will be 22.5" I plan to have it done by next years IPMS Nationals in early August. I may go ahead and kit the thing while I'm at it. RU's kit is just not what I want as far as accuracy and detail go. I am "shrinking" all the 1/24 parts that I need to and scratch building the rest. I also used AMT's 1/200 "Man in Space" rocket collection as a starting point for the main engine and fuel tank. Its working quite well at this point.

I certainly won't be dropping a load of money on the IR collectable. If everything works out, I'll have a kit that's better than the collectable for less than half the price. You'll even get to pick your own paint scheme. :^)
mastercaster is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 01:30 AM   #14
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Ah... yes please. Keep us posted on this one. Sounds great
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 11:02 AM   #15
TonyB
Forum Supporter

It certainly does sound great.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-11-2007, 03:33 PM   #16
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

So back to Eagle’s initial question, are these updated Hawk pictures showing the final production model? There was a reference about the model being revised before production, namely the CM…was it done? Doc?
Thanks!
Jorge
Old 17-11-2007, 05:32 PM   #17
the DOCTOR
Computer Technician

Yes, the CM has been changed, and no, the sample model has not yet arrived in the UK, so no new photos yet.
the DOCTOR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #18
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Thanks for your prompt reply Doc! So my eyes were not deceiving me after all because I did notice some changes but was not sure due to the picture quality.
Cheers!
Jorge

Just to let you know, your sig line still confuses me!
Old 17-11-2007, 06:28 PM   #19
w8cmp
Science Officer

A-ha ! There remains hope for this model after all...thanks for letting us know Doc.

I really do hope that it looks better - because if it 'looks' like a Hawk I shall certainly be inclined to buy one - as will several other people here I'm sure.

We await pics of the revised model with baited breath
Old 17-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #20
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Can't wait!
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote