Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 30-09-2010, 01:54 AM   #1
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Default Earth-like planet found!

http://dailyastronomy.com/story.asp?...tle=Astronomer Helps Discover Earth-Like Planet

The discovery of liquid water is an important part of finding extraterrestrial life, scientists said.

Getting closer all the time!
VTracy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...stronomer-say/

more info
Old 01-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Jonathan E
Medical Technician

Today's Daily Express has a large article about the new Earth-type planet. Complete with a photo of Paul and Sandra from 'The Last Sunset'
Jonathan E is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
Doomsday
Communications Officer

It isn't that Earth-like when you read it.
It is stuck facing their Sun.
I think they are grasping a bit, so that they can be the first to claim it.
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

I don't think "earthlike" is supposed to mean identical to earth, just that it is the most earthlike planet found so far. Biozone, rocky, gravity, liquid water - fantastic. Best chance so far for some kind of life that we can recognise.

Habitable for terrestrials is a different story. But if it was, you could pitch your tent in the twilight zone. Want summer or winter? Just take a short hike.
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
B.P. Taylor
Computer Technician

This is certainly exciting news and I can understand why the researchers are so optimistic about its chances of harboring life. Given what we've found on our own world -- that environments previously thought too harsh or extreme are teeming with life - - I think that it's only reasonable to assume that the same will hold true elsewhere. We will soon have the capability to discern Earth-sized bodies, and when that happens, the number of planets that are discovered will skyrocket. Fascinating stuff!

B.P.
B.P. Taylor is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
healvis
Communications Officer

I read this story and heard the scientists saying how it could contain life and such. What confuses me is these same scientists say that if a planet is not rotating it's magnetic field would be very weak and therefore will be bombarded with cosmic radiation from the sun which would blast away it's atmosphere.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:16 AM   #8
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

http://www.universetoday.com/85474/u...ty/#more-85474

Just an update.......
Old 11-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #9
Doomsday
Communications Officer

Just a thought, but one side very, very hot and the other extremely cold, wouldn't that cause winds of 100's of miles an hour?
Or even faster?
We get "extreme" weather here when clashes occur.
Just a thought.
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
CR
Science Officer

I imagine under some precise conditions, there may be a stabilising effect going on with the atmosphere; the article mentioned as much, but was fairly light in tone, and didn't go into details, did it? I suspect that the number of models the group ran, which the article did say included situations wherein an atmosphere couldn't even be retained, also may have included cases where the atmosphere would have raging winds. Would be nice to see just how many different scenarios they actually came up with!

Our own system's Venus is not tidally locked, though its rotation about its axis (its length of day) is similar in length to its revolution about the sun (its length of year), so it's sort of close to being so... in fact, its day is longer than it year! But it's got that thick atmosphere to help distribute the temps around the planet; however, Venus is also windy, with some estimates putting the Venusian winds at hundreds of miles per hour.

Arguably, Venus is 'Earthlike,' but I wouldn't want to live there! Based on this short article, I suspect that Gliese 581, if it has an atmosphere, might be more like Venus than Earth as far as habitability goes, but--and this is key--we'll have to wait and see what future observations with even better detectors bring us. Fascinating stuff either way, to be sure!

Last edited by CR; 12-05-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: typos
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 27-06-2011, 04:00 AM   #11
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

well as I not only read one of the main magazines that deal with astronomy but also watch for anything that comes out in newspaers or is released by NASA or JPL, I get any news about what is going onwith the search for earth type planets which has been a total of ZERO so far.
starlord is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #12
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

The doors to my imagination are now wide open with the realisation that there has been a subtle change from "if we find" to "when we find".

"When" is the key, it is the moment hope changes to certainty.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #13
karr1981
Assistant Commander

Default I was watching Scifi science on the weekend

And the scientists decided realistically ALL we need to do to make mars habitable is

1) catch 4 or 5 asteroids, build huge rockets on them, send them past jupiter to get slingshot effect and impact them precisely on mars (kick starts warming process needed to melt ice holding co2)

2) once temperature has risen by 20 or so degrees, seed the planet with genetically modified plants designed to out put higher quantities of oxygen than normal plants (apparently these are in development already to counter loss of forests on earth) these will naturally die off as the co2 is used up

3) colonise Mars

See..... Easy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
karr1981 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 12:37 AM   #14
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlord View Post
well as I not only read one of the main magazines that deal with astronomy but also watch for anything that comes out in newspaers or is released by NASA or JPL, I get any news about what is going onwith the search for earth type planets which has been a total of ZERO so far.
That may be true, as most of the planets found have been hot "Jupiters", nothing close to "Earth"-like.

However, it seems like a time to be excited, and not negative about this type of science!

With every report it seems we are getting a bit closer. Finding smaller planets, further from their suns, in more "habitable" areas of space.

These scientists are learning and refining their techniques, and also there are new instruments of detection becoming available all the time.

This is an exciting ride, and I'm definitely "on-board"!
Old 28-06-2011, 04:37 AM   #15
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

A lot more would have to be done, right now mars could neve hold water a lot as there is 1st no ozone to keep uv rays from boiling the water and mars also does not have even 1/2 of earths gravite to keep the in. it would take about 2 to 3 million years for machines working on the surface of mars to make it so life could live there.

Old 29-06-2011, 12:21 AM   #16
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlord View Post
A lot more would have to be done, right now mars could neve hold water a lot as there is 1st no ozone to keep uv rays from boiling the water and mars also does not have even 1/2 of earths gravite to keep the in. it would take about 2 to 3 million years for machines working on the surface of mars to make it so life could live there.
Well, I'm not a scientist, but I'm not sure UV rays boil water. Anyhow, your time frame may be correct, but that's only if you limit this work to todays technology.

Obviously, things will advance. What looks like a million years of work today, may be only 500 years, a hundred years from now.

Also, as you correctly state, Mars is smaller than Earth, with less gravity. Also, it has a very thin atmosphere, with very low pressure. Adding these two facts together means you don't have to add alot of temperature to Mars to get things melting.

Once you start to melt the ice, you release the gases from the ground, and begin to thicken the atmosphere, which then retains more heat and releases more gases, etc...this couldn't be too difficult

The biggest problem is the lack of a magnetic field. Without this, the solar wind will degrade the atmosphere after some time.

Also, Mars has no large moon like Earth. Even if we could melt all the ice and form oceans on Mars, what would happen to them? Without a moon causing tides, would they just end up as large stagnant ponds?
Old 29-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #17
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

It is true that UV would not bolly away the water, BUT and we know this from what has happen on earth. the UV would KILL anykind of life form that was on the surface of mars as it has ZERO in the lay of a ozone layer. which
has helped life on earth. just takeing big space rockrs had having them hit mars, would do nothing but blast big holes in the surface.the one artical that I read and it was from JPL/CALTECK it would take as much as 5 millionyears to even mark mars liveable. Only mars done not have the gravity as earth does, that make it it at lest 95% undueable unlest mankind lives in covered citys on mars.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:00 AM   #18
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

it its life what is on earth. now what if life was to be found on worlds that ae NOT like earth at all. just think about that, what if a planet formed and like started on it and that life did not use water as we know/use it. will over 3 billion stars in the mikly way, that means that life of some kind could form in ways that we can't even think about now.

One of the best thing about Babylon 5 was that now evey one used O2.

Look at the Vorlons.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:06 AM   #19
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

sure, about as easy as printing your own $3.00 bill and using it at a store the same day.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #20
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Its great that there is an Earth-like planet but the key is getting there.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote