Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 14-12-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Default My "real space" models.

Liberator recently asked me on another thread for some pics and additional info concerning my real space models…and, as promised, here are the photos with a brief description for each one.

Apollo-Saturn V rockets, the 1:200 (wood) came from the Smithsonian’s A&S gift shop and the smaller 1:400 is a Dragon Wings die-cast:

Lunar Module (1:48 ) is a Franklin Mint and the 1:43 Lunar Rover is from Champion’s:

Space Shuttle Endeavour stack (wood), 1:200, also came from the Smithsonian’s A&S gift shop:

Space Shuttle Discovery is a Dragon Wings die-cast, 1:400:

This wonderful Lunar Rover is from Code 3. Dimensions: 9"(L) X 7"(H) X 11"(W) / 4.42 lbs.

Buzz Aldrin action figure, 12” tall, from Dragon:

B747 SCA, 1:400, from Dragon Wings:

Jorge
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
cricket
Medical Officer

Wonderful collection there!
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
Liberator
Eagle Pilot

Thanks heaps for those pictures - I am especially fond of the Lunar Module - Frankin Mint - I know they do some "plates" and alike I never knew they did that - very nice. And the Lunar Rover that has to be one of the best along with Buzz - nice collection you have there with those. I have only ever built real space models - never bought dicast etc, . My Airfix Saturn V and 1B and the lunar module. Yep sorry guys - I built the S1B and LM not raided for parts for a studio scale Hawk. :-) And the Airfix Vostok.

I still have a LM (Airfix - as well as the Revel 1/4 in my collection along with a Space Shuttle with stack, Gemini and and AF Command Module. - All waiting pateienlty to be built.

I may have to add another Eagle to my collection, but in namesake only. Will scan the pages of Ebay hunting one down.
Liberator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 09:53 PM   #4
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Thank you cricket and Liberator for your kind words!

Indeed the Lunar Module is a fantastic display piece in true Franklin Mint fashion. Much more than just fancy plates, FM also produces cars, airplanes and warships…I have their USS Missouri…and you won’t believe how perfect it is...Helldivers included and all!

Still regarding the Lunar module, and as you can see on these new shots, the two sections separate and the landing legs fold.

Jorge
Old 15-12-2007, 02:05 AM   #5
CR
Science Officer

Very neat collection, Jorge!

Does anyone make a figure of Buzz punching out the conspiracy theorist who cornered him and called him a liar for saying he landed on the moon? I'd pay serious money for that!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 15-12-2007, 02:18 AM   #6
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Thanks CR…and yes, I would also pay good money for that suggested version of Buzz!

Doesn’t “quite” fit the real space theme but I just had to feature here my most outstanding Franklin Mint piece: the USS Missouri, affectionately called the “Mighty Mo”.

UPDATE: PICS AND INFO ON THE USS MISSOURI WERE RELOCATED TO THIS NEW THREAD: "Model Ships (you know, the kind that go on water, not space)":

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...6242#post46242

Jorge

Last edited by Eagletransporter; 26-12-2007 at 01:06 AM.
Old 15-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #7
paul gray
Forum Supporter

very nice indeed . love that lunar module
cheers Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #8
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Very nice stuff all round. You guys must have enormous houses to fit all these collections in.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 05:08 AM   #9
Gumdrop and Spider
Astrophysics Technician

Beautiful collection Eagletransporter
Gumdrop and Spider is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 07:54 AM   #10
CR
Science Officer

I have to confess that I think the Mighty Mo has a big problem: those railings! Given the scale, the railings should not look so amaturely made, especially given the amount of detail on the rest of the model. Smaller scale ship kits (1/700 scale in particular) have photo-etched railings that look almost real, in both scale and style. I think the Franklin Mint Missouri would have looked better if they'd left the railings off.
Just my opinion, of course, and I'm not trying to slight your collection nor your taste in subject matter, Jorge! (I also have to admit that I leave railings off of my ship models precisely because I can't get them to look right, and can't afford the after-market photo-etch add-ons. Spent all my money on PE12's! )

Old 18-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #11
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Thank you all very much for your comments guys!

CR…I totally share your opinion concerning the Mighty Mo railings…but that’s usually what you get when you collect models that are mass-produced and relatively affordable. Thankfully this detail is only noticeable when you examine the model up-close and without the glass display case.

…and CR…I would REALLY LOVE if you could post pictures of your ships…are they WWII? Thanks!

Jorge
Old 18-12-2007, 08:43 PM   #12
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I actually think they could be replaced really easily with some very thin wire from a model shop. I have some here that I now use for aerials that's roughly 1 mm think. Its tough to bend, but not too tough and would look the part. As you say, its not a problem you notice unless you are using the zoom lens on your bionic eye so....
Old 18-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #13
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
I actually think they could be replaced really easily with some very thin wire from a model shop. I have some here that I now use for aerials that's roughly 1 mm think. Its tough to bend, but not too tough and would look the part.
Thanks Tony, when can I ship you the Mighty Mo?
Old 18-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #14
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Trouble is you may not get it back .... I'd stick with the bionic eye principle
Old 21-12-2007, 10:17 PM   #15
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Here are two favourites from my collection: Dragon's 'Buck' and the 1966 GI Joe astronaut & Mercury capsule.

Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-12-2007, 10:47 PM   #16
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Sweeeeet vintage GI Joe astronaut & Mercury Capsule Kane!!!!
Did you manage to get the whole set? (with clear Capsule canopy, 45 record with original Mercury program recordings, etc.). Not surprised this is one your collection faves!

BTW, the GI Joe Mercury Capsule is suppose to have an interior equipped with seat and instruments panel…would be great if you could take a snap of it and post it here…....along with your OTHER rockets (Gemini and Mercury…)

Now this is truly...The Right Stuff!

Thanks for sharing!

Jorge
Old 23-12-2007, 05:05 AM   #17
CR
Science Officer

To answer Jorge's question, my focus on ships tends to be WWII, but I haven't completed anything in recent years. I suffer from the 'mulitple works-in-progress syndrome' across the board: sci-fi, ships, armour. Sigh.
One of said works is a kitbash using 1/700 scale & 1/720 scale models of an Iowa-class battleship and a 1/700 scale North Carolina-class battleship to make a 1/720 scale USS Montana. This was a proposed US battleship with four big gun turrets, and a slightly bigger hull than the Iowas, but when the Japanese demonstrated the effectiveness of aircraft carriers, the project was abandoned. Mine will (eventually) be in 1/720 scale, using the 1/700 Iowa hull to make it look bigger than the 1/720 scale Iowa it will be displayed with.
Sticking with the 'what if' warships that might have been, I'm converting a 1/700 Yamato into an A-150, sort of a Yamato variant that was never made, but would have had a slightly shorter hull and different gun arrangements in the turrets (not to mention the largest calibre guns ever made!). My model's about 50% completed.
Some of my older stuff that was completed ages ago has been damaged over the years in various moves from one home to another. If I can dig up some pics of my older work (like my 1/700 scale diorama of the attack on Pearl Harbor, part of which has since been thrown away by an ignorant landlord!), I'll try to scan them and post them.

Um, sorry to drift from the 'real space' topic!

Last edited by CR; 23-12-2007 at 05:07 AM. Reason: typos
Old 24-12-2007, 04:41 AM   #18
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Jorge, I don't have the record - just the old GI Joe figure, spacesuit & capsule which I bought at separate times.

Here's the capsule control panel:

Looking towards the rear:

A modest collection of space toys (obviously not to scale):

Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2007, 05:33 AM   #19
Liberator
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletransporter View Post
Thank you cricket and Liberator for your kind words!

Indeed the Lunar Module is a fantastic display piece in true Franklin Mint fashion. Much more than just fancy plates, FM also produces cars, airplanes and warships…I have their USS Missouri…and you won’t believe how perfect it is...Helldivers included and all!

Still regarding the Lunar module, and as you can see on these new shots, the two sections separate and the landing legs fold.

Jorge
I just found one of these on Ebay - I didnt realise they were so rare - well the one on ebay says 1 of 500 and the price $1500.00 US dollars, ouch
Liberator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #20
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

CR, you definitely caught my attention (this time in a good way… ). Like you I also enjoy WWII battleships (destroyers and torpedo boats in particular) and I’m delighted to learn about your works-in-progress! Not being an expert on the subject, I’m obviously surprised to learn about that proposed US battleship with four big gun turrets and higher hull than the Iowa class…it would’ve been undoubtedly an impressive ship! Are there any images available?
A model of the Yamato is definitely in my “things-to-get-within-my-lifetime” list. It is, for me, the most elegant WWII battleship. Your A-150 variant sounds very interesting.
I sincerely hope that you will share, in due time, pictures of your works in progress AND pics of that 1/700 Pearl Harbour dio…now this a must!
Thank you CR!

Dr Kane...first and foremost many thanks for indulging my request in such a fine way. Your pics, especially the ones about the Mercury capsule are so much better than the ones Ive seen around. Wonderful details on the capsule’s backwall, and the front panel still looks ok despite some obvious wear-and-tear (after all, it’s a 30y/o+ old toy/model!). Treasure it well my friend!
I like your collection of space toys as well…that Ariane is a beauty…and the LM variant looks intriguing! The Mars Rover is nicely detailed (and looks accurate) despite its small scale!

Liberator...I was shocked to learn about the asking price of a Franklin Mint LM!!! I recall having paid around 300 USD, 6 or 7 seven years ago (through Franklin Mint’s catalogue). It’s no doubt a fine model…but 1500 or even 1000 USD…just waaaay too much!

Thank you all for the time spent on posting these very interesting subjects, I'm sure many members here enjoy them as well.

Obrigado e até breve!

Jorge

Last edited by Eagletransporter; 24-12-2007 at 04:43 PM.