Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Anderson - Reference Section, Member Builds and Detailing > Space 1999 > The Eagles

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 18-12-2007, 01:39 AM   #1
BrianS
Communications Officer

Default Looking Forward in the CM

I know that the CM set was built with no front (for purposes of shooting). As such, I know we have seen a few cutaway shots like this:

But - except for this one image:

did we ever have any other shots which actually looked forward into the CM? Because, if not, I think the above shot requires a re-evaluation of the positioning of some of the consoles - especially the orange ones in the third picture.
BrianS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 01:53 AM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Reconciling the full size set with the output of the FX team. That old insoluble dilemma. Most of the instrumentation surrounding the windows are actually pictures of instruments taken from an instrument catalogue rather than actual instruments. Thrift was always high on the priority list.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 02:00 AM   #3
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

That looks vaguely like they wheeled a wall from perhaps the pod set around the front of the set to hide the fact that its open. It won't work with any of the front views we get because the middle is supposed to have those dials going right up it. None of it works, which is most frustrating because it would have been very easy to make it work.

The shots through the front don't fit anyway because you can't see any of the beak at all. You should be able to see one side wall of the cut out section, right or left depending on which seat you're in, and the floor piece of the cut out section.

Isn't the third picture a shot of the monitor in one of the side consols?

Very interesting to hear what people have to say on this. Thanks Brian
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 02:03 AM   #4
BrianS
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
Reconciling the full size set with the output of the FX team.
Yes. I am just trying to find out if there were ever any images other than those I have referenced above which would help to reconcile the two. If these are the best there are, then I have an idea of how they can in fact mesh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
It won't work with any of the front views we get because the middle is supposed to have those dials going right up it.
This is the sort of thing I am trying to confirm. Besides the images I provided, are there any shots from the series which are the basis for the claim that those dials go right across the middle between the two windows?

Quote:
The shots through the front don't fit anyway because you can't see any of the beak at all.
Right. For something like this, one must posit the use of some sort of specially tempered angling 'glass' (perhaps thicker on the top and thinner on the bottom. As such, that would allow for both the missing beak and for seeing the astronauts directly through the window from the outside when that would necessarily be impossible given the interior configuration.

Quote:
Isn't the third picture a shot of the monitor in one of the side consols?
It is a monitor which is viewed by the pilots in the CM when they are looking forward and slightly towards the center in AB Chrysalis.
Old 18-12-2007, 02:14 AM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
Most of the instrumentation surrounding the windows are actually pictures of instruments taken from an instrument catalogue rather than actual instruments. Thrift was always high on the priority list.
That's rather clever. They certainly look the part.

Old 18-12-2007, 11:54 PM   #6
Mola Rob
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
That's rather clever. They certainly look the part.
The thing that always bothered me is that they don't seem to match any of the other Alpha technology. They don't look like any readouts or monitors seen in either the first or second season.
Mola Rob is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 01:11 AM   #7
BrianS
Communications Officer

I've been going through some of the images available of the cockpit. In trying to establish the length of the cockpit, from door to consoles, I've noticed that the console does not remain in the same place. Sometimes it is further away from the door and sometimes it is closer to the door (esp. in Season 2). That certainly makes a difference in trying to establish scale.
Old 19-12-2007, 07:51 AM   #8
w8cmp
Science Officer

I seem to remember that whole console sliding towards the pilots as they took their seats...or perhaps I'm just imagining it ???

I know the seats also slide towards the console...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 08:14 AM   #9
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

It depends how the set was "set up" I think. The seats are all over the place, back against the wall, forward and so on. The general thing (when they remembered was that the seats slid forward for flying and back to make it easier to get into and out of them. When you actually look at them they must have been uncomfortable to sit in for any length of time. The resemble dentist's chairs as you sit up in them with your legs stretched out. I imagine they gripped onto the handle bars very tightly when the set was moved about (or perhaps the camera was the thing that was moved about)
Old 19-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
BrianS
Communications Officer

As far as I know, it was only the seats that were ever mobile in shots. Of course, the consoles could be removed as well. But that was for camera purposes. Since the side consoles have fixed lines and are stable (relative to the rest of the set), I thought for sure that the consoles would be placed consistently. But screen shots have proved that assumption incorrect.

And I am not complaining about that here. From a production stand point, I can understand 'cheating' (if that is indeed the cause). I just didn't realize it had been occurring. Now that I know, I can take it into account.

(As to getting the look of cockpit movement, to my knowledge that was achieved solely through camera movement rather than set movement.)

Old 20-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #11
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

The console does indeed slide (at least some of the time). I've seen reference to this someplace also (probably in Catacombs).

The first time I noticed the console moving I thought I was imagining it... but a quick back and forth review (gotta love DVDs) confirmed that as the pilots slid forward the console was sliding towards the pilots simultaneously. I cannot recall in which episode I saw this.

There are a couple things in the 99verse I don't try to rconcile. The cockpit layout is one of them. There are only two ways to way to get it to work that I have come up with. Either have the pilots looking at monitors, and the view ports are actually above their line of sight, or just admit the cockpit set was flat out wrong, and move the pilots and the console up about 2 feet.

So until the day I build a lighted interior cockpit for one of my Eagles, I'm just going to do what most politicians do when faced with a nasty problem: just ignore it and hope it goes away.
john_trek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 04:01 PM   #12
CR
Science Officer

Are you sure that the camera wasn't moving toward the console as the seats slid forward, creating the illusion that the console was moving? Just trying to eliminate all possible variations, mind you...
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #13
darthwalls
Computer Technician

Hope this helps. http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...aglecabin.html

There are no forward shots except the one previously posted, but you get some really good shots of the chairs,how far the side panels come forward and with these pics, you can tell there clearly was no front panels, just a blackened set in the background.
darthwalls is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote