SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 23-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
David
Astrophysics Technician

Default "Project Sun Probe is on!" - Scratch build project

Hi Folks,

I'm going to be scratchbuild the rocket "sun probe" form the Thunderbirds episode of the same name, and I was wondering if you guys could help me with a few things.

I don't know what it is about the design of the rocket "sun probe" that I love so much, but ever since I saw it on TV at the age of 3, I've always been fascinated by it - the same goes for fireflash. I can remember drawing pictures of sun probe when I was a wee lad (more so than the actual Thunderbirds craft!). I also made a model of it a young age, which was actually pretty acurate considering i made it using card, tubes, tape, paper and paint! I'd love to find that model, because I'm sure it still exists round the house somewhere.

So now that i'm all grown up, I want to build a sun probe identical to the studio model. And I mean identical right down to the last detail! I reckon sfx guys used three different scales in the programme, each of them had subtle differences. The model that I'm going to try to replicate is the middle scale - the one used on the launch pad below. I believe this model was around 2 feet tall - I calculated this by comparing it to the airfix girder bridge kit part (which measures 7cm) seen in the gantry.

At the moment I'm just trying to collect as much research and reference material as I can before drawing up some plans. This is where i'm hoping you guys might be able to help me. Does anyone have any Sun probe reference material or knowlage of any kind that could be shared? I've got decent screen caps from the episode using my computer, but thats all.

Can anyone help me?

By the way, does anyone know if Sun Probe was designed by anyone? Meddings? Or was it one of those craft that was improvised using objects found in the home?

Cheers,
Dave

David is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
stingray48442
Exile

Default sun probe

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm going to be scratchbuild the rocket "sun probe" form the Thunderbirds episode of the same name, and I was wondering if you guys could help me with a few things.

I don't know what it is about the design of the rocket "sun probe" that I love so much, but ever since I saw it on TV at the age of 3, I've always been fascinated by it - the same goes for fireflash. I can remember drawing pictures of sun probe when I was a wee lad (more so than the actual Thunderbirds craft!). I also made a model of it a young age, which was actually pretty acurate considering i made it using card, tubes, tape, paper and paint! I'd love to find that model, because I'm sure it still exists round the house somewhere.

So now that i'm all grown up, I want to build a sun probe identical to the studio model. And I mean identical right down to the last detail! I reckon sfx guys used three different scales in the programme, each of them had subtle differences. The model that I'm going to try to replicate is the middle scale - the one used on the launch pad below. I believe this model was around 2 feet tall - I calculated this by comparing it to the airfix girder bridge kit part (which measures 7cm) seen in the gantry.

At the moment I'm just trying to collect as much research and reference material as I can before drawing up some plans. This is where i'm hoping you guys might be able to help me. Does anyone have any Sun probe reference material or knowlage of any kind that could be shared? I've got decent screen caps from the episode using my computer, but thats all.

Can anyone help me?

By the way, does anyone know if Sun Probe was designed by anyone? Meddings? Or was it one of those craft that was improvised using objects found in the home?

Cheers,
Dave

if you look closely in the episode you can see the papertowel roll it is made of the lines are visible the way the rolles are made now it could be a carpit roll you decide
stingray48442 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
uncle bill
Astrophysics Technician

You may want to get your hands on the somportex b&w gum cards (larger size) nos 68 & 69 both show the sunprobe with the mole chassis!
This is a link to a scan of card 69, as it happens card 68 is the only one missing from my set. (Anyone have a spare?)
http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/6a...6PU9h9h-_l.jpg
uncle bill is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
paul gray
Forum Supporter

hi David
you could always take the easy option and make me an offer
cheers Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

That's funny Paul the same thing came into my mind. "Hang on, Paul's got one of those things." If it was me I'd make an offer AND build my own. Very cool project David. The ep still has me on the end of my seat when TB3 won't turn around. All the sweating and fainting is very traumatic... and the sting work or whatever it is that gives the sound for the beam they're trying to send to Sunprobe probably creates half the tension in the show... terrifying.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-12-2007, 04:48 AM   #6
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

The snow sequence was brilliantly done... it really looked the deal.
Old 24-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #7
paul gray
Forum Supporter

other kits you will need are the everything is go rocket launch pad,passenger foot bridge kit,traveling crane and the other crane kit. also 2 cigar tubes. good luck
cheers Paul

paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #8
Senmen
Astrophysics Technician

Default Paul, this is cool.....

Anything you don´t own yet? :-)

Cheers
Oliver
Senmen is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #9
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul gray View Post
other kits you will need are the everything is go rocket launch pad,passenger foot bridge kit,traveling crane and the other crane kit. also 2 cigar tubes. good luck
cheers Paul
At least you get the pleasure of the two cigars (well, I'll smoke em for you if you only want the tubes )
Old 27-12-2007, 10:55 AM   #10
David
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle bill View Post
You may want to get your hands on the somportex b&w gum cards (larger size) nos 68 & 69 both show the sunprobe with the mole chassis!
This is a link to a scan of card 69, as it happens card 68 is the only one missing from my set. (Anyone have a spare?)
http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/6a...6PU9h9h-_l.jpg
Very interesting, thanks! Is it just me or does the actual "probe" part of this model look different to the episode model?

Old 27-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #11
David
Astrophysics Technician

Hi Paul,

I've been on your site and looked at your brilliant sunprobe model often for help. I'm afraid I just dont have the room for the whole launch pad though, thats why I'm not going to be building it myself etiher (at least at this moment in time ) I'll only be building the actual rocket.

Thanks for your help guys.

I'll post up my research and progress as I go incase anyone else is interested in doing this project too.
Old 27-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #12
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

That will be great. Very interesting to see how it comes together
Old 27-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #13
David
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul gray View Post
also 2 cigar tubes. good luck
cheers Paul
What were the cigar tubes used for?
Old 28-12-2007, 03:14 AM   #14
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Good heavens they didn't even bother to paint them. If you look at your picture of ship and launch pad you will see them on their sides (together on on top of the other) in the lower right hand side of the photo.
Old 29-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #15
David
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks Tony! Here's a wee close up of them...

Old 29-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #16
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

They... are two of the joys of model making.
Old 31-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #17
David
Astrophysics Technician

Another screen cap... the airfix footbridge parts can be seen at the bottom left. By the way, does anyone know if there was any Sunprobe plans in that Japanese thunderbirds model book?

Old 02-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #18
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Regarding the design of the Sun Probe rocket - as Sun Probe was one of the early half hour episodes, the rocket would probably have been designed by Derek Meddings. It does look as if some thought has gone into it, rather than just being built from available material, and it doesn't look like a Mike Trim design.

It's likely that some effects sequences, including the launch, were filmed in very late '64/early 1965, with others including the Mount Arkan sequences being added later in '65. The shots of the rocket used in the Somportex set would also have been taken later in '65 or possibly in early '66. I'm not sure when these first went on sale, but it must have been after Attack of the Alligators was filmed in late '65 (not March '66 as suggested in the BBC4 documentary - this was its' transmission date). I might have shots of some of the later Sun Probe effects sequences being filmed somewhere. Will try to scan them.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #19
David
Astrophysics Technician

Hi Air Terrainean, Thanks for your post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
Regarding the design of the Sun Probe rocket - as Sun Probe was one of the early half hour episodes, the rocket would probably have been designed by Derek Meddings. It does look as if some thought has gone into it, rather than just being built from available material, and it doesn't look like a Mike Trim design.
I think you're right. I've always loved its design, so its nice to know who designed it. Looks like sunprobe is another to add to my favourite Meddings designs like fireflash, zero-x etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
It's likely that some effects sequences, including the launch, were filmed in very late '64/early 1965, with others including the Mount Arkan sequences being added later in '65. The shots of the rocket used in the Somportex set would also have been taken later in '65 or possibly in early '66. I'm not sure when these first went on sale, but it must have been after Attack of the Alligators was filmed in late '65 (not March '66 as suggested in the BBC4 documentary - this was its' transmission date). I might have shots of some of the later Sun Probe effects sequences being filmed somewhere. Will try to scan them.
Thanks for the interesting info Air Terrainean, its much appreciated. If you find and scan any old shots then it would be really great.

Cheers,
David
Old 03-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #20
David
Astrophysics Technician

whoops! posted twice by mistake.

Last edited by David; 03-01-2008 at 10:46 AM. Reason: whoops! posted twice by mistake.