Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
cricket
Medical Officer

Default And two more fans created...

Last night as a family we watched the first Thunderbird episode. Except for several initial comments about the strings, my 11 yo daughter and 8 (almost 9) yo old son were completely entranced. Even my husband who so often complains about not understanding the British accents in Dr Who, sat with us glued to the TV set.

In response to a multitude of requests, set two has now been ordered from Amazon.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
Fun Pod
Communications Officer

After all these years, Thunderbirds still appears to go from strength to strength .. I'm not surprised at it's capacity to keep "roping 'em in" - the series remains superior entertainment
Fun Pod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Although I am a Space:1999 fan I have to admit that, in my opinion, the 1st episode of Thunderbirds is probably Gerrys finest hour.........closely followed by Breakaway of course.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I can still imagine it blowing people away when it first aired.... oh yeah, just more Stingray..... but no, wait till you see this

Not unexpected news cricket, but very cool none-the-less

Next... Captain Scarlet
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 12:38 AM   #5
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

"Trapped InThe Sky", is essentialy a one hour feature film. It would've been perfect as the story for the movie rather than the Spy Kids Turd we got. It would also lead straight into more feature films.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 27-12-2007, 04:45 AM   #6
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

It would have made sense as the revamped beginning of the new beginning ... I know what I'm trying to say anyway... As in yes it would have been most fitting.
Old 27-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Considering that it was said that many people around the World (or the USA) had forgotten or never seen it then yes it would have made sense to have turned that episode into the film. It might have been a rehash to us but I'd have rather seen that than the rubbish we did get.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
Dave
Communications Officer

The Elevator Cars still remain my favorite vehicles from the Gerry Anderson stable. It was attempting to build one of those as a kid that got me into model making. They are a simple yet realistic and pratical design. The way they are shot makes them actually look like they weigh several tons! As long as you ignore the question of how they got 4 of those suckers into TB2's pod...

It would have been a dream come true to have the feature film with those in edge of your seat dramatic adventure rather than the huge pile of horse poo that was ultimately made. Mind you if they had the made the film in line with the 1st episode they would have probably still have had Fermat or a 12 year old Alan at the wheel of the thing...
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #9
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

... which is another reason the movie failed. Kids know when they're being patronised. The last thing I wanted to be was a wunderkind nine year old Joe 90. I wanted to be an adult Scott or Virgil. To this day kids like to watch adults in movies because it's them they want to grow up to be. A fifteen year old Alan only appeals to four year olds and they don't make up a significant part of the movie audience that I'm aware of. Whether it's Wesley Crusher, Fermat or Joe 90, they'll be the first out of the airlock doors when the going gets tough.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
Retroboy
Astrophysics Technician

Have to agree with everyone here , one of Gerry's finest hours . The hanger door lowers , TB2 lumbers out from inside , no music , just the roar of her engines as she makes her way to the launch ramp ...........wonderful , gets those hairs on the back of the neck every time . Cricket , your family is in for such a treat .
Retroboy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 27-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #11
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
Whether it's Wesley Crusher, Fermat or Joe 90, they'll be the first out of the airlock doors when the going gets tough.

... and that horrible kid from the original BSG as well?
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #12
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kane View Post
... and that horrible kid from the original BSG as well?
Absolutely!!!!...yes, please airlock him too…him and his Muffet, Buffet or Crocket or whatever was the robot-mutt's name…
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #13
Steve D
Astrophysics Technician

Jorge, you cant just go airlocking just any kid you dont happen to dislike, its just not PC in this day and age. What you should do is give them the FLYING KID treatment BRING BACK THE FLYING KID
Steve D is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 09:02 PM   #14
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Funny, a while back I bought a cheep, used copy of that film, and I still payed way to much. It is really sad that it did not even look good on DVD. To bright and garish and why was it made into a kiddie movie??? At least in the theater T2 flying overhead looked and sounded good. I apologize to everyone outside the US for Frakes awful take on this classic. I've always said British Sci Fi should be British Sci Fi; no Hollywood, please...
....This from the American "brain" behind UFO:1999... oops!
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #15
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Smith View Post
Funny, a while back I bought a cheep, used copy of that film, and I still payed way to much. It is really sad that it did not even look good on DVD. To bright and garish and why was it made into a kiddie movie??? At least in the theater T2 flying overhead looked and sounded good. I apologize to everyone outside the US for Frakes awful take on this classic. I've always said British Sci Fi should be British Sci Fi; no Hollywood, please...
....This from the American "brain" behind UFO:1999... oops!
No need to apologize; the USA has given us so much quality entertainment that it would be churlish to hold y'all to account for one mistake.

I do, after all, come from the country that created 'Neighbours'. (The mote in one's own eye and all that...)

Besides, I think other US directors like Raimi or Spielberg would have done a good job - it's just a shame Frakes got there first. I don't even hold Frakes solely responsible. It's likely he was influenced by 'groupthink' - a victim of 'focus groups' and 'audience projections'.
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 31-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #16
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

From a more recent interview in one the ST mags he thinks it was a big mistake to make the thing in the first place. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #17
genie
Waste Technician

Can I just say I'm new here , and I can't work out what you are saying. very in crowd......I tried to to look back but still confused...
genie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #18
hwels
Communications Officer

They're talking about the Thunderbirds movie by Frakes ...
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #19
genie
Waste Technician

I found the tv show more entertaining than the movie -the movie is too comical and full of _ _ _ _!
genie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #20
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Yes, that particular movie is best forgotten. ST meant Star Trek BTW.

Welcome to the forum, too, genie if you haven't been already Which part of Australia are you from?