Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Default Reminiscences of a Space:1999 fan…

While vacationing at my parents’ home here in Costa Caparica/Portugal I’ve recently found some printed photos of my old bedroom in Lisbon (1975-1981) that brought a smile to my face. Actually this wasn’t exactly my bedroom but rather my parents’ house attic that I used as a “play room” to build kits, to display my models, Legos etc...

During the 1st season of “Espaço:1999” (which we saw in b&w) and completely captured by the series, I’ve then decided to convert one corner of the attic into a sort of full size Eagle cockpit .
The materials used were very basic (mostly because they were affordable for a teenager student): cardboard, colored paper and Christmas lights…

I was so enthusiastic that I decided to take it a step further and build a cardboard Eagle launchpad and Commlock (see pics) which, in my humble opinion, actually looked very good! (I used the Panini books stickers as reference)

In 1979 I went to Legoland in Denmark and was marveled with the Apollo-Saturn launch tower complex…I took a dozen pics of that formidable Lego display so that I could reproduce a similar (smaller) model with my own Lego pieces…something that I’ve managed to do, except for the rocket itself (I used the well-known Airfix 1:144 kit). I’ve scanned the pics and put them side-by-side for you to compare.

I’m also including some photos of my old Airfix Cosmic Clipper and 1st Airfix Eagle which I took to the beach as to naively simulate a lunar type of surface…

Thankfully and after all these years, I’ve managed to keep the few photos that I took of that old play room…and I now I look at them with some “saudade”, Portuguese word for nostalgia.

Anyway, I am sure that some of you will enjoy these old discolored pictures. I apologize for the bad quality but they should give you a little idea of my Space:1999 “craze”…

Eagle type cockpit and Commlock:

Cardboard Eagle Launch Pad:

Legoland Apollo-Saturn and Jorge’s Lego version (yellow X-Wing is also Lego):

Airfix Cosmic Clipperin Caparica Beach

Crashed Eagleyes, in Caparica Beach again

Jorge

Small note: not sure if this is the appropriate thread to post this stuff…moderators, feel free to relocate or modify the content of this post as you see fit. Thanks!

Last edited by Eagletransporter; 27-12-2007 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Repair image links
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
cricket
Medical Officer

How wonderful! You are quite the artist, Jorge. Back in the 70's I thought I was the only one with such an advanced case of 'Space 1999-itis'. If only the internet had existed back then, sigh...

And that commlock looks pretty snazzy!

Last edited by cricket; 26-12-2007 at 11:26 PM. Reason: typo
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #3
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Just wonderful, Jorge. You really are a big Space 1999 fan since many, many years! I would have loved to have such a cool play room at this young age.
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 10:10 PM   #4
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Mind blowing. Thanks for sharing that great stuff.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 10:40 PM   #5
Gumdrop and Spider
Astrophysics Technician

Jorge, I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see pictures of your early Eagle Flightdeck, Launch pad, Commlock, and models.

The Eagle Flighdeck panels look very good. They would be completely at home on a production Space 1999 set.

I love the Airfix Eagle and Cosmic Clipper "at the beach" shots.

Your Eagle lauch pad is a very good design with many innovative features and details. The Lego Saturn Launch complex is very impressive, as is the Commlock.

Thanks for starting this thread as posting these wonderful memories.
Gumdrop and Spider is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-12-2007, 11:57 PM   #6
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Thank you all very much for your kind comments! I had a lot of fun posting these and above all, to read your posts!

Except for a couple of Eagles and a few Airfix fighter jets, all that you see in these pictures is sadly no more. The Legos and many models were destroyed, lost and some given away…the cardboard stuff obviously didn’t last for long (just a couple of years, if I recall right) and even the spectacular Apollo-Saturn display in Denmark’s Legoland was replaced with a more current Space Shuttle complex, also impressive but not as much as the Apollo launch tower which could be seen from practically everywhere inside the park.

Thankfully, the passion continues…

Jorge
Old 27-12-2007, 12:33 AM   #7
CR
Science Officer

I like what you've shown, but as I type this, about half the pics are missing. (Launch Pad, commlock, beach shots.)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 12:49 AM   #8
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Thanks for the heads-up CR, I just found...the missing link...
Should be ok now!

Jorge
Old 27-12-2007, 04:15 AM   #9
CR
Science Officer

Thanks for fixing those, Jorge!

OK, bionic eye mode on... (Hey, I might as well say it, because someone else will once they see what I have to say!)
In a couple of those pics there is some artwork, which appears to be about the size of an old LP record album cover. It shows a yellow spaceship streaking across a starfield, apparently from upper left to lower right. In both of your pics, the yellow Lego X-wing is right in front of said artwork, but in one of those, an American flag covers it as well. So, what is that? It looks neat! Another 'album cover' has the words "Star Peace" (opposite of "Star Wars" I presume) along with a couple planets and the aft end of another spaceship. What's that one? Same 'album cover' from the other side?

Oh, really neat setup, by the way! I'll have to do that to my workshop someday, since I didn't do it to my room as a child.
Old 27-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #10
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
In a couple of those pics there is some artwork, which appears to be about the size of an old LP record album cover.
Give this man a prize!!!! Wow CR…ONLY YOU to spot stuff like that on old scanned crappy pictures!
Yes, you’re right…those art works that you so well spotted are indeed LP covers of albums from the seventies…and that I managed to save in tip-top shape till this day (vinyls are as new). By then and regardless of the music genre, I bought any album that had a space theme art cover and use them as decoration.
Because disco always went hand-in hand with science-fiction during the seventies, most albums covers reflected that “union”.

So, for your delight (or not…), here’s what I’ve managed to save from that glittering era…

Star Peace:

Voyage, “A journey into discoid funk” (front and back covers):

Space, “Just Blue” (front/back and pano):

Meco, “Star Wars and other Galactic Funk”:

2001 sound track:

...oh..and CR?...your bionic eye tang?...it’s getting scary!

Jorge

Last edited by Eagletransporter; 31-12-2007 at 09:32 PM.

Old 27-12-2007, 09:56 AM   #11
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Cool spotting 6 Million Dollar Moderator And groovy records there Eagletransporter... get down and do the bump (but not too hard or you'll tear the space suit )
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #12
cmdrkoenig67
Eagle Pilot

Great photos, Eagletransporter...Those album covers are very cool too.

Dana
cmdrkoenig67 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #13
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Thank you very much Tony and Dana…and to tell you the truth…I was totally into that era...the disco, the platforms, the long hair…the whole look!
Yeap…t’was just like that Chic song title: Good Times…

Peace!

Jorge
Old 27-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #14
CR
Science Officer

Thanks, Jorge, for sharing those. I love that Just Blue wrap-around cover. The artwork (specifically the undersea base) reminds me a little of ELO's Out of the Blue spaceship cover.
The yellow ship seems X-wing inspired, but very much looks like something that would have appeared in Stewart Cowley's Terran Trade Authority series of books.
To avoid a threadjack, PM coming your way...
I will add, though, that I also loved any artwork with a space theme, but my parents kept me from buying stuff just because it had a spaceship on it. Darn it.

Last edited by CR; 27-12-2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 27-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #15
Senmen
Astrophysics Technician

Jorge, wow, this is really cool.
It is always big fun to go back in life and see that old stuff.....

Oliver
Senmen is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 27-12-2007, 06:11 PM   #16
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmen View Post
It is always big fun to go back in life and see that old stuff.....
That’s precisely what I say when I see my ex-girlfriends....

Oliver!
Old 27-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #17
Senmen
Astrophysics Technician

Jorge, well said...

Last edited by Senmen; 27-12-2007 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Finetuning
Senmen is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #18
cricket
Medical Officer

Wonderful album covers! I have a small collection from the 70's, but nothing to match this selection. Now, if only I had a phonograph player.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 08:54 PM   #19
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Cricket...that’s one of the reasons why I miss the old records so much… Since the introduction of the CDs and now with the MP3 format, people don’t care anymore about art covers...they’re sadly fast becoming extinct in the name of convenience…

Phonographs are another reason why I miss the old records era… I still have a beautiful Akai record player with diamond needle. I am reluctant to bring it back with me to Canada as it is such delicate piece.

I’m glad to have lived (or should I say: survive!) the seventies!

Jorge
Old 27-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #20
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Shusei Nagaoka!
Indeed!...Shusei Nagaoka also did a beautiful space theme artwork for this well-known Electric Light Orchestra album…one that I also bought just for the cover…