Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 15-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
shadopilot
Communications Officer

Default "Cloverfield" monster

Anybody got a pic of the Cloverfield monster??
shadopilot is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/new...ld-monster.php
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
shadopilot
Communications Officer

Thanks DX! Its the most believable one I have seen yet. The big whale and hairless chicken versions I seen on other sites didnt look right. Looking forward to seeing the movie. Title of the movie doesn't fit for a giant monster movie. Would have been a better title for one of those alien abduction/take over town/infiltrate local goverment movies.
Old 15-01-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
shadopilot
Communications Officer

deleted double post.
Old 15-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
CR
Science Officer

I'm still hoping that our collective chains are being yanked, and it isn't actually a monster movie at all, but... well, we just don't know, but we get to see a nifty study in human psychology of how the mind 'fills in the blanks' during stress, both at the individual level and when 'group think' is applied.

Of course, if it is a giant monster flick, that's OK, too.

I'll wait 'til I see the movie to see what 'it' is. More fun that way. (Patience, patience...)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 15-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
shadopilot
Communications Officer

I hope it isnt like the TV show "Lost".
I gave up watching it because I could hear a big monster but it never showed up.
Old 15-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Ain't It Cool News had a review on it this week.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
BrianS
Communications Officer

Yeah, but its hard to tell if the AICN reviewer liked it or not.

BrianS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 01:51 AM   #9
CR
Science Officer

Well, I was all geared up to go to the cinema to see Cloverfield, and found out Marcus Theatres is refusing to show it until 'standards acceptable to Marcus are met' or some such vague statement on their press release.

I'm sure that both sides (Cloverfield distributor and Marcus) share the blame for this SNAFU, but it's me, the money-paying, movie-going member of the public who gets hurt by this. Which ultimately hurts both the cinema and the distributor. I said as much in an e-amil response to Marcus Theatres' press release on their website.

Oh, well. Yet another reason I typically wait for DVD releases as a general rule, rather than going to shell out tons of money at the cinema. Sigh. (If this ever does get shown around here, I will try to see it in the cinema, but I won't lose sleep over it if I don't get to...)
Old 19-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
Eagletwo
Weapons Technician

My 14 year old kid and his friends seen it last night, they gave it a good 7/10.

"Blair Witch Project in the city" one of 'em said.

"It was a giant spder monkey looking thing." ...

Lots of neat plot line and effects.

Barry
Eagletwo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 19-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #11
doon
Communications Officer

Default Cloverfield...No spoilers

Saw it today and I'd say it was pretty dang good!
Good effects and keeps you on the edge throughout.
One warning gang, if you are prone to headaches from video games or home movies ya may want to take some dramamine. Wife is suffering from a good ol' headache. Normally, I get sick from five minutes of Mario cart, but this didn't mess me up in the least.
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Default I love New York!

Just saw it and was pretty impressed…way better than what I’ve expected. It was LOUD as hell and I’m sure glad my seat was on the last row coz the whole thing was filmed with a small digicam a la “Blair Witch Project”…actually Eagletwo’s son is right…the movie is a sort of Godzilla meets BWP. The combat scenes on NY streets were nicely done…felt almost like I was there…same with the Brooklyn Bridge scene!
An Abrams on 44th…now that’s cool
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 04:11 AM   #13
CR
Science Officer

Yipee! I fainlly got to see this in a nearby town whose cinema actually is showing it. Stupidly drove 20 miles in a snowstorm to do so, but I wasn't worried about my driving; it was the other morons on the road that had me nervous. (I saw three cars in the ditch along the way, and saw two vehicles nearly careen into each other as one tried to pass another that was going 'too slow'... drive SLOWLY when the roads are snow covered, duh!)

Anyway, I enjoyed the film. I'm just going to copy some comments I left on a blog elsewhere. SPOILERS AHEAD, though they aren't too specific.

Woo-hoo! finally found a nearby cinema showing this film. Saw it and enjoyed it immensely. What follows is a somewhat rambling list of my reactions...

I felt regret that people died (in a "I wish that person would have made it" sort of way), but that's part of what made it more real. Sometimes, even though people struggle to survive, they still don't 'make it out alive.' Pretty gutsy for a film to do that, but realistic at the same time.

Also gutsy was the non-omnicient POV. I like the fact that we never really know what's going on; the sense that we're one of those characters caught up in an extraordinary event worked really well, and helped keep the 'startle relfex' going throughout the film for me. (I also liked Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds precisely because of the one-person POV. Everyone complains about not seeing the battels in that film from an omnicient POV, but I felt it made the movie more realistic; I practically WAS the main character. Same with Cloverfield.)

I didn't notice anything in the ferris wheel shot, but I did notice the scratchy 'message' after the music ended at the end of the closing credits. No clue what (if anything) it said, though.

Oh, some of you may remember my earlier posts about this possibly not being a monster film. I knew it was, but part of me was hoping it wasn't. Still, I'm not upset that it WAS a monster film. It was done in a unique way that kept me entertained, unlike the awful 1998 American Godzilla movie. (I still hate that film.)

I couldn't help but notice a few things that seemed to be borrowed from some of the better Japanese kaiju eiga... the parasites in particular seemed to be a cross between the parasites at the beginning of Godzilla 1984 ('85 in the US) and the Legion soldiers from the mid-1990's Gamera: Advent of Legion. Anyone who's seen those films will know what I mean, and if you haven't, well, it doesn't really matter. The Cloverfield parasites were not Japanese kaiju clones, and were scary enough in their own right.

Another homnage to the Japanese kaiju eiga genre, of course, was the closing credits theme music... shades of Akira Ifukube's Godzilla themes, but not a direct copy.

I didn't get a headache nor motion sickness, not even the slightest bit, which was a pleasant surprise. Whenever I watch someone's home made, hand-held video, I usually can't stomach more than a few minutes at a time. In Cloverfield's case, it helped that I sat in the back row of a large cinema, I guess.

Oooo, I figured out how to get around a couple nits.
The camera battery is the easiest one: there were periods when the camera was turned off. Some of them were lengthy, such as parts of the tunnel walk, or the 50+ story climb up the tower next to Beth's apartment complex, as well as most of the trip down. Remember, this event (the attack) took place over seven hours 'real time,' and we were witness to only about an hour and a half of that.
The response time of the military can be PARTIALLY explained away in that there wasn't more of a military presence in the city... I caught a snippet of dialogue between some of the military members talking about there being at least 'thirty minutes' before another unit was due to arrive, or something like that. It was during the triage scene after the tunnel walk the main characters took. (I'll defer to those who've already commented, though, that even the presence shown in the film may have been too much for reality, but that definitely has to be chalked up to artistic license for the sake of the story.)

Anyway, a fun film, worth the Monday night cheap-ticket price I paid. Now that that's all done, I'm thirsty. I'm gonna go have a Slusho.

END SPOILERS.

Oh, this film might be too intense for younger viewers, or for squeamish older viewers. There are several 'jump' moments that caught me off guard. Just FYI. (I love when film actually gets me like that... it doesn't happen often.)
Old 22-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #14
CR
Science Officer

Hey! According to Wikipedia (so take it with a large grain of salt), Hasbro is coming out with a 14" figure of the Cloverfield monster by September 2008. So if true, and if you want a good, clear look at the monster, this will be your best bet!
Ah, the diorama possibilities...
Old 22-01-2008, 11:20 PM   #15
DSJ
Computer Technician

Yes, it's true but at $100. US. Ouch! Good god, for that price it better be delivered by a hooker on a sliver platter!

HASBRO ANNOUNCES SPECIAL PRE-SALE OF PARAMOUNT PICTURES’ “CLOVERFIELD” MONSTER FIGURE

Pawtucket, RI – January, 21 2008 -- Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE: HAS) brings to market the figure of one of the most tightly held secrets in recent Hollywood history: the “Cloverfield” Monster. Following the 1-18-08 theatrical release of Paramount Pictures and Bad Robot’s “Cloverfield,” fans will be able to order a highly detailed representation of the beast beginning today exclusively on www.hasbrotoyshop.com.

Standing at an imposing 14 inches tall, the creature that wreaks havoc on New York City in the film is immortalized as a super-articulated figure for fans and collectors alike. As with other beasts in the annals of great movie monsters, the creature in “Cloverfield” captures the imagination and tugs at the fears of thrill seeking moviegoers.

The party may be over when this beast comes to town, but the fright inducing look of the creature lives on from the creepy people-sucking underbelly to the swath of parasites the beast lets loose to hunt citizens of the ‘Big Apple.’ The figure also comes with two interchangeable heads, each depicting one of the Monster’s moods: calm or agitated. The head of the Statue of Liberty, the iconic image which made the film’s much buzzed about and analyzed trailer so eerie and intriguing, is also included.

“Hasbro is very excited to be working with Paramount and Bad Robot to bring to market a piece of the film for fans and collectors,” said Brian Goldner, COO of Hasbro, Inc. “The fan buzz on this film has been terrific and we are happy to take part in the excitement.”

The “Cloverfield” Monster from Hasbro is available now for pre-sale at www.hasbrotoyshop.com for an approximate retail price of $99.99.

Cloverfield Movie Monster

Features

Cloverfield Movie Monster product imagery unveiling is coming soon!

Cloverfield Monster Features:
70 points of articulation and incredible life-like detail
Authentic sound
14” tall
10 parasites
Two interchangeable heads
Statue of Liberty head accessory
Special Cloverfield collector’s edition packaging

In conjunction with the launch of the highly anticipated CLOVERFIELD movie release, Hasbro, in a partnership with Bad Robot and Paramount Pictures, has produced a super-articulated and highly detailed limited collector’s edition Cloverfield Monster.

The Cloverfield monster is available exclusively through HasbroToyShop.com. Reserve your Cloverfield monster today to have the opportunity to receive it when it ships later this year. Limited quantities are available.
DSJ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 23-01-2008, 05:01 AM   #16
CR
Science Officer

SEVENTY points of articulation?! Jeez! Of course, having seen the beast in action, I wonder if 70 is enough...

Ooo, it comes with Liberty's head. No problems nailing the exact scale, then! Cool!

Ouch on the price, though. By today's standards, I suppose it's not bad for what you get, but just a bit more than I can afford right now. (Man, moving is expensive, and I finished moving a month ago!)

Thanks for the info, DSJ!
Old 02-02-2008, 06:47 AM   #17
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Well, thought it was silly but fun.
Liked the fact the creature is only glimpsed throughout the film and its down to the audience to make up their own minds what it looks like.
Which made...

SLIGHT SPOILER

... what happens after the copter crash very disapointing. Too much seen and defies logic - was it just standing there? Did it creep up? Why did it bother with him?
MangaMax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:05 AM   #18
CR
Science Officer

Spoiler to answer MangaMax's question... (Click & drag over text to reveal. By the way, the colour I've hidden it with is called Lemon Chiffon. Lemon Chiffon? You've got to be kidding...)

The creature likely followed the chopper down. Remember, it had just knocked the chopper out of the sky, and was probably already looking it over when the characters struggled to get out. They were far too busy struggling out of the wreckage/scrambling from the crash site (were there trees involved, too?) to see the thing right there. They noticed it soon enough, of course.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:54 PM   #19
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

I saw the movie this afternoon and I must say , I don't think I've enjoyed a film as much in a long time . Clever AND dumb fun at the same time , the film pushes all the right buttons . Hellishly exciting and damn scary to boot , it's the most visceral cinema experience I've had in years . Full marks and highly recommended .
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #20
paul gray
Forum Supporter

CR- how the heck did you do that, bloody clever
cheers Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote