Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 20-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Red face Star Trek (running for cover now!)

BTW…one of the many previews I saw before Cloverfield was a totally unexpected teaser trailer of the upcoming Star Trek movie (Dec.25)…probably old news for many here….
Oh yeah…Rambo is back too!

Star Trek teaser video (audio's just a bit tinny!)

http://www.movieweb.com/video/V08ABsI6CZYMkp

IMDb info:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/

Engage!

Last edited by Eagletransporter; 17-10-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

That'll be a video camera shooting a movie screen then.

Shame the Enterprise has been tweaked from the TOS design but then of course there's a whole new line of toys and models to sell. Interesting to see it being constructed by hand with an arc welder too. How many degrees of heat did the ship withstand in various episodes?
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Hawk
Communications Officer

The studio is supposed to be releasing the teaser shown before Cloverfield on the web this week.

That still shot is the best look you get at the ship in the teaser though. There's no clue, really, as to what the lower secondary hull looks like.
Hawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #4
w8cmp
Science Officer

As DX said, I'm very disappointed that they didn't stick with the original TV series Enterprise design. It effectively means it doesn't fit with the series properly...the design looks more akin to the TMP Enterprise in the primary hull...but perhaps that's intentional.
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Apparently the side profile is quite different too.

Old 20-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Rule no. 1 Never go back. And if you are you must be true to what is there. If its not the jolly original enterprise then they're nuts. It has to have the original round motors (we can live with the others in the movies as they are a natural up grade) and it has to look like the real deal. Enterprise could pull it off with the alternate universe eps with the Defiant, so goodness knows what they're doing with this... it has disaster written all over it if they can't even get the ship right. Sticking old Spock in it won't save it either.... the fans will all know that "its not Kirk" and everyone else will get on with their lives so...

Rule no 2. Never go back
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

As long as there are scantilly clad space babes in it, who cares? Let's hope it's a good opener because you can usually tell within fifteen minutes what it's going to be like. The techno stuff should be in the background because it should be as common as turning on a light switch and they should concentrate more on unforced and not overworthy character driven stories. Put some warmth and humour back in the cast.
Old 20-01-2008, 11:23 PM   #8
cricket
Medical Officer

Hmm... I'll probably go, unless it is massively and overwhelmingly panned. My mate and youngest are already planning Christmas dinner around seeing it!
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 12:01 AM   #9
Hawk
Communications Officer

I haven't been this scared about a Star Trek movie since I heard Shatner was directing Star Trek V!
Hawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #10
shadopilot
Communications Officer

Can't wait to see it. I recently watched the original series on DVD. Amazing how you can see things like skin pores and sweat in the closeups. Like watching a new show.
shadopilot is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-01-2008, 03:33 AM   #11
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Here's a "smart" way to cover up why the ship looks different...this is the "showcar" version of the Constitution Class ship. After the first mission either they take all the cool stuff off because it slows down the ship, or there is a galactic recession and the ships get striped down to what was seen in "The Cage". Yeah, i know, they blew it! And after all the trouble of uprating the old FX from TOS. Weird.
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 04:01 AM   #12
CR
Science Officer

I complained about this on the Bad Astronomy blog.
The still makes the Enterprise look like it may have during the upgrade from TOS to TMP... the saucer shape is wrong, the font is wrong, the bridge dome is mostly wrong. It looks more TMP than TOS.
Unless we're seeing yet another Star Trek standard MO: RetCon (Retroactive Continuity). Who cares about the established timeline? Just retcon it & pretend it's always been that way! And chastise anyone who complains about it; they're just goons who want to live in the past and shouldn't worry about consistency.

As I said at BA: Meh. I have absolutely no interest in seeing this film. The teaser trailer didn't excite me at all. Star Trek has little new to say... If this is an 'early voyage,' I know that certain people will make it through the story no matter what, in order to eventually live out TOS. What's the point?

Oh, maybe this is a re-imagining of the whole franchise, like the new Battlestar Galactica. OK, I guess, but then just call it that. Or better yet, just make a brand new, unrelated series. Kind of like what I'd said they should have done with Battlestar Galactica.

Ah, skip it. "Meh" suffices.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 04:09 AM   #13
CR
Science Officer

Oh, as long as I'm on a rant (really, I'm not in a foul mood, even though these posts may make it seem that way)...

What's the deal with the 'Pavlovian dog'-style drooling every single time somebody dings the Star Trek bell?
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 04:58 AM   #14
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I've just read the whole RPF thread and its a mixture as far as the film is concerned. I really don't care. I like a couple of the films, I like big chunks of all the series, but I can't stand people dredging up the same old stuff and dressing it up so people will cough up the money. Personally I think its a monumental waste of opportunity. SOMETHING NEW FROM SOMEONE PLEASE!!! Its not the ship its not the actors and if it was something new then I'd be very interested. Why not make a move about the Enterprises sister ship or the ships the crew were on before the Enterprise and how they all came to be together and finish with Jim taking the bridge for the first time... SOMETHING, ANYTHING, not just the same snot!!!! Then there's Alien, and BattleStar G and Speed Racer and the Day the earth stood still, and Rambo and all the other stuff that we've mentioned. Next they'll remake Chitty Chitty bang bang with an old Ford Mustang or something.

When one thinks of how Sci-fi as grown and crossed boundaries and blown our minds for a century culminating in some of the greatest movies ever made, it is very sad that we've drained our creative brains to such a pathetic extent. To boldly go to exactly the same jolly place we've always been

I just wish the body snatchers would take the bodies and leave already!
Old 21-01-2008, 07:30 AM   #15
Communications Officer

Totally agree Tony42. I just hope and pray they never do Space:1999 as a feature film. Just imagine what they would do to the Eagle!
29390 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #16
fireflashfive
Eagle Pilot

I'm just keeping an open mind about the film. I've enjoyed Star Trek in all its incarnations over the years. I never cease to be amazed at how anal some Trek fans can be about it all. I read a comment on one message board that they wouldn't go to see the film if they changed the design of the Enterprise in any way from the original series. It seems a rather dumb reason not to go see it and how blinkered some people are. There's been a lot of comment about the fact that the Enterprise appears to be being built on Earth too. Consider this, the trailer says 'Under Construction'. Have they considered that it might be the construction of the Enterprise on Earth reflects that the movie is under construction in the studios on Earth and that the film may only feature a completed Enterprise? That's my take on it for now.

Doug.
fireflashfive is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #17
Transporter
Life Support Officer

If J.J. Abrams is behind it, it can't be so bad. I love his series ALIAS and also like LOST. But I do admit that Mission Impossible III wasn't really good.
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #18
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Actually, I believe Star Trek lore has always said that the first Enterprise was built in the San Francisco shipyards and the components assembled in space. I believe there's a line in the animated series that confirmed this. It really is about flogging a whole new line of models/merchandise than continuity. If they made it the same (which they should), they wouldn't make as much on licensing because the fans already have their TOS Enterprise collectables.

I think they've got a problem because the TOS series was always about the relationship between the main characters. The cast have to match that which means they either have to impersonate the original cast or accept that it'll probably be quite different. Love him or hate him, there's no denying that Bill Shatner made a very charismatic Kirk. I hope they can match that because it's such a pivotal aspect. The whole reason the mighty Star Trek wheel is still turning today is because of the popularity of the original series. TNG owes it's existence to the popularity of the TOS films. To alter the roots of the franchise is going to annoy an awful lot of people.
Old 21-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #19
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Yep, I think the recasting will annoy people lots more than the ship. Ultimately people who aren't interesting in Trek may make fun of it, but they still know who Kirk is.... Always Kirk Spock and Bones, with Scotty beaming people up everywhere and the others along for the ride big time. The biggest floor is perhaps bringing in the real Spock, it will instantly remind everyone that the other guy is not him. The original pilot film already has the young Spock.... Nah. Sadly I imagine they've all signed on for the now obligory 3 film series. The main trouble is that EVERYONE knows this just so well. Perhaps Superman returns suffered from this a little, where as Batman begins got away with it because it really was the beginning and allows for the development that we see (though its not trying for it) in the earlier (later films). It is all about the money... the Merchandising.... "Merchandising Merchandising.. that's where the real money in the film is"... never truer words spoken there oh wise Yogurt.
Old 21-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #20
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
Apparently the side profile is quite different too.
Has a certain art-deco style...
Not as bad as I've initially thought!

Jorge

Last edited by Eagletransporter; 17-10-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote