Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 23-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Default 2001 Clavius Moonbase

I’m trying to compile information (especially photos/drawings/production sketches) on this formidable prop but unfortunately not much seems to be available. I would be grateful if someone could help me on this. Thanks in advance!

Jorge

Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Apart from the standard shots taken from the film, I don't think I've ever seen anything else. Certainly not seen the image you posted. Where did you find that?

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

That particular image was taken from a Swiss forum dedicated to Celestia software. More 2001 images from the same author (linuxman) here:

http://www.ikiru.ch/celestia/forum/v...349dccc8d9a41e

For those interested, Celestia is a free software that graphically simulates celestial objects ranging from the earth and our solar system to distant constellations and galaxies. For more info on this software click here:

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/index.html

Still regarding the Clavius base, I’ve also found these images from Bruce Irving, an optical engineer that occasionally designs graphics for the Space Flight Simulator. They’re brilliant but what I’m really looking for is an accurate layout of the base…or something close…

I’m amazed that no model of the base was produced by Aurora or other well-known model companies…

Clavius seems larger and more sophisticated than Alpha…pitty there isn’t much more info on it.
Old 24-01-2008, 01:36 AM   #4
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Aside from the film itself, the only other reference might be the famous Bob McCall painting that appeared in poster form and was also on the back of the record cover. That's about it. A side by side comparison of moonbases would be cool, too!
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 01:46 AM   #5
tx4
Medical Technician

Huh, for some reason I have had the impression (from memory) that Clavius was smaller than Alpha. Even wrote a short story with it like that (then again, it was a cross-over story written in a couple hours, and I perhaps altered that detail for such reasons, and just don't recall after so many years). Then again, if I was watching on pan-and-scan VHS, perhaps some or a lot of sense of scale was lost. I am awfully tempted to check out my DVD copy (I've upgraded in those ten years ) later tonight just to clear up my foggy memory.

The digital renderings of Clavius certainly give an impression of Alpha-like size.

Sorry, I cannot help regarding the prop. Interesting.

I don't recall seeing a Clavius model anywhere. I wasn't necessarily looking for such, however. Weren't most of the original "2001" props destroyed after the film's release? Are models typically sourced from the original props for better 3-D accuracy? (I really have no idea.)
tx4 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-01-2008, 02:56 AM   #6
tx4
Medical Technician

I couldn't wait to check, as it turned out.

In getting the DVD, I realized I actually bought "2010" on DVD some years back. I got "2001" more recently when I saw a "Digitally Restored" version, and had not watched it yet (i.e. first I've seen any part of "2001" on DVD).

I popped it into the player tonight and jumped to the Clavius scene, and it was like I never saw fragments of it before, and was quite stunned. Clavius looks perhaps Alpha-sized (I found it a little difficult to judge scale, but IMO, it is definitely in the same order of magnitude), and it looked very, very nice on screen. Can't believe I would have forgotten that. I previously remembered it looking somewhat like Alpha, but much smaller. I honestly don't remember the ridge-line view at all, just the through-the-viewport view. On this DVD with a good TV, Clavius looked much larger than I remembered -- even through the viewport. Perhaps murky and pan-and-scan VHS or TV showings on a 19" TV washed out and compressed finer features, and cut out too much at the sides, and made the structure seem coarser and smaller. No clue how I would have forgotten or previously not seen the ridge-line view, unless I saw very edited versions before this, or they suffered heavily from murky video, small TV, and pan-and-scan too and I just didn't find it as memorable.

Wow, interesting. Ah, the benefits of DVD (esp. "digitally restored" ones ), letterbox, a better TV, etc. Guess I'll be sitting down to watch the whole movie sometime soon to see what else I've missed or forgotten!
tx4 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 03:38 AM   #7
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I always thought Clavius was actually bigger, but perhaps that's because we never really get the scale of it with shots of people walking around outside. The launch pads with the eagles really don't give it as we can't even agree on the lengths of the eagles let alone anything else.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 04:43 AM   #8
CR
Science Officer

There was a website called 2001 Exhibit, which had rather nice blueprints of Clavius Base (and the spaceships), but it now requires a subscription fee. You might want to check into it, though.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
arthur krull
Medical Technician

You might find Piers Bizony's book, 2001: Filming the Future useful. I know there is a pre-production drawing of the pit the Aries is lowered into. Beyond, that, I'm not aware of much of the base itself.

This would leave you with a great deal of freedom to interpret what little information there is.

Art
arthur krull is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Thank you all for the precious input...most helpful!

Through the 2001 Exhibit website (thanks CR) I’ve managed to obtain an interesting production sketch of Clavius Moonbase (see below)…the only one I’ve found so far so needless to say, it really made my day!

Tx4 is right, I’ve also read about the destruction of many 2001 models and props so that they could not be used in other productions. The only surviving prop…or what little remains of it…is the Space Station:

http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/faq/h...cestation.html

Also found a very interesting converted AMT Moonbase Alpha model into a Clavius Base…note the brilliant Aries landing pad on the side:

Tim Smith…found a very nice image of Bob McCall’s famous painting…truly the next best thing after the movie’s screen grab.

Arthur krull…just ordered Pier Bizony’s book based on your advice…many thanks as well!

Jorge

Last edited by Eagletransporter; 24-01-2008 at 03:01 PM.

Old 24-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
CR
Science Officer

I love that converted Alpha kit. Very clever! (Where did you find that pic?)
Old 24-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #12
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Where did you find that pic?
It’s from an interesting French website dedicated to 2001 models…worth taking a look!

http://www.nemotechnik.com/2001/2001_accueil.html

Jorge
Old 24-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #13
CR
Science Officer

Cool! Thanks for that link, Jorge.
Old 24-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #14
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

I’m completely at awe with some of this modellers' work…

This is from a scratchbuilt 1/60 Discovery One (Jean-Marc Deschamps):

And here’s another shot showing the Aries 1 B (1/67, same modeller) approaching the converted Alpha Moonbase…

Have you checked the "Dragonfly"?...funny, I’ve seen the movie countless times and never noticed this peculiar ship…a good excuse to see it again…

http://www.nemotechnik.com/2001/dragonfly.html

Jorge
Old 24-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #15
CR
Science Officer

The Dragonfly was one of the proposed designs for the Discovery. I believe it more closely represents the version of Discovery which appeared in the novel.

Old 26-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #16
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

It strikes me that Clavius still is under construction, something already seen earlier in the film with Space Station 5. One side of it just isn't there. Also, seeing the plans, I had always assumed there was more than one landing dome. Maybe they were going to add that later. At any rate, I'm glad someone brought the subject up; great to learn about what is Alpha's "big brother".
Old 27-01-2008, 02:15 AM   #17
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

What was that mentioned somewhere last year about someone wanting to sue someone else over "borrowed" ideas. Glad it was borrowed, a very cool idea.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 03:49 AM   #18
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Very cool indeed!
Old 27-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #19
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

I remember seeing that McCall painting as a child. I must have been about 6 years old, because we still lived in England at the time. I was fascinated by it - it really fired my imagination.

I didn't see the film until a good 13 or 14 years later!
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #20
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

I was inspired by this post to go back and watch my favorite Sci Fi film once more. In the scene before the one of the astronauts on the hill looking down on the base, there is a pilot's eye view of the base..up to half of it...coming into view through the cockpit window. Check it out!