SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
HUNCH
Communications Officer

Default Aoshima (Imai) Sky 1 WIP

Hello all,
I was going to build this one "out of the box" until I opened it.
After reviewing the parts I decided to pick and choose my battles with this one. My only other option was to scratch-build it, but being stubborn I thought I'd just try to make it look a bit better instead. Keep in mind the finished product will be far from perfect, I'm just hoping to make it better (at least to my eyes).

The first pic below shows my first steps. I started by sanding off some of the detail (I'll do the rest later) and filling in those pesky trenches! Next I added a curve (maybe too much) to the wings and will cut a new slot to raise them up on the fuselage. I chose to throw out the missle/gun pods on the wings. They are way too small. I know this was most likely patterned off of the smaller miniature but I want it to be more like the larger bulldog looking version. Next, I built a new intake for the bottom to replace the toy-like piece provided. Then I removed the vertical stabilizer to make it thicker, reshape it and position it further to the rear.

This next pic just shows the ton of filling involved to get rid of the trenches and such.

This next pic shows the reworking of the vetical stabilizer and the new wing slots.

The next pic shows the new naclles (for lack of a better word) in progress and I drew the areas that need to be removed such as the blobs on the sides of the fuselage that will be removed and reworked. The cockpit windows need to be higher and longer. The area the vertical stabilizer sits on needs to be flatter as well.

And the last pic is just a different angle of the pic above.

OK guys and gals, feel free to rip it apart as I know you all know your UFO.
Just try and be gentle and remember I'm not going for studio quality.

Oh, and by the way, you folks have a really cool place here.

James Webb
HUNCH is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

HUNCH, welcome to the forum if you haven't been and thanks for the photos. Its looking great.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
JD
Medical Officer

Brave man, James! This kit is obviously beneath your skills!
Are those black parts part of the kit, or after-market? They're a vast improvement over the horrible parts that used to come with this one.
JD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 11:30 PM   #4
HUNCH
Communications Officer

Thanks for the welcome and kind words guys.
Those black parts came with the last aoshima release and ARE an improvement, too bad they stopped there. Just about everything else is way off. I'll post an update soon.
James
Old 26-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #5
Big Rab
Forum Supporter

I agree with JD, you are a brave man! that is some radical changes to the model

I have never seen one in the flesh, what sort of size is the "Aoshima" Sky1 ?

Old 27-01-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
HUNCH
Communications Officer

Big Rab-
The Aoshima is the same as the Imai only with a more accurate nose cone.
I'm clocking it in at 6 1/2 inches nose to tail or 16 1/2 centimeters give or take.
I just started reworking the cockpit windows in the pic below. There is so much wrong with this kit it is a crime. Even the fuselage is to thin. It should taper out more on the sides. I'm going to leave it though, or I may as well have scratchbuilt it!
James

Old 27-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Welcome, Hunch. This is an interesting project, you've got there. I once started the Imai Sky 1 and therefore I can say, even with the new black Aoshima parts, you do a good job.

Last edited by Transporter; 27-01-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
HUNCH
Communications Officer

Thanks Transporter. Oh, and pay no attention to the Guinness launch tower in that last pic.
Old 29-01-2008, 01:17 AM   #9
HUNCH
Communications Officer

Hello again,
I've got the canopy almost completed. I am also nearly finished with the bottom intake piece. The section the verticle stabalizer sits on is now worked down to a better size. See pics below.

These parts below are new ones I made to replace the ones sanded off or tossed. They are now in the mold box. It's beginning to come together nicely.

I'll post more as I go. That is if no one minds.
James
Old 29-01-2008, 04:59 AM   #10
HUNCH
Communications Officer

What part is the matra pod? The top, middle or bottom piece?I'm clueless.
I'm casting the gun/thing first so I have practice pieces in plastic to drill out, then I'll mold/cast the one that comes out best.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
James

Old 29-01-2008, 08:37 AM   #11
w8cmp
Science Officer

I wonder whether this is an item which could be turned & drilled by one of our metalworkers here on the forum.

Copies could then either be cast from the metal master, or turned aluminium copies used on the models themselves...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #12
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I got halfway through this kit myself doing what you're doing before getting to the point of asking "why am I bothering with this rubbish kit?" I admire your staying power and it's starting to look very good.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #13
HUNCH
Communications Officer

JD,
Wow , that came out sharp! I can't believe you went to the trouble of casting all those parts! Just an amazing biuld up. I can only hope mine comes out half as nice! So you made yours more like the small miniature? I'm going more for the larger miniature, but you are right the matra pod needs a bit of reworking. Its a tough shape to capture. I guess I'll find all that out as I drill the many practice pods I'll be making. The back part of the nacells is going to be a bear, and then there is the trouble of creating a water slide sheet.

And yes, I have some staying power. My wife got me this for X-Mas and I did not want to see it go to (or in the) waste. I'll keep posting progress, but I can see from my own pics the area around the bottom intake is too thick already! I just have to remember to pick and choose my battles. Easy does it.

James
Old 29-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #14
HUNCH
Communications Officer

There were three miniatures? Now I'm really confused. I believe I'm doing the larger one, but now I'm not so sure.
James
Old 29-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #15
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

There were three. The smallest formed part of the two and half ft Skydiver. The middle one seen most of the time was part of the five ft Skydiver and the largest was a stand alone model of Sky 1 on it's own. The easiest way to tell them apart is look at the position and shape of the white vertical line underneath the cockpit and how it lines up with the little semi circular cockpit window.

Old 29-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #16
HUNCH
Communications Officer

Sheesh! Thanks for the clarification DX-SFX. Looks like I'll have to do some more research on this one.
James
Old 29-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #17
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Most people discount the small one because it's a little crude although ironically it's probably the closest to the kit featured (except the wings are a lot fatter). The middle one is the nicest looking IMPO being arguably the sleekest and most featured in the program but the largest is also popular with modellers if only because the model still exists and thus there's lots of reference for it available.
Old 29-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #18
Big Rab
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNCH View Post
Big Rab-
The Aoshima is the same as the Imai only with a more accurate nose cone.
I'm clocking it in at 6 1/2 inches nose to tail or 16 1/2 centimeters give or take.
You are doing a fantastic job there James, well done
Old 30-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #19
HUNCH
Communications Officer

Thanks Big Rab. It's not coming out perfect, but considering what I started with...
Jd- I was able to read your article from Starship Modeler during lunch yesterday (as opposed to just viewing the pics) and found it very enlightening. I'm glad I did not read it prior to starting this project as it would have most likely scared me off of trying this kit! And you are right about the matra-pod. Although I did notice a difference in the shape from the smaller one to the larger ones, I just got a bit carried away in the sanding process. I will fix this and remold my practice shots for drilling. I cast the parts last night and taped them (poorly) to the ship to get an idea of where I was at.
Check out the pic and disregard the sagging tape job.

Last edited by HUNCH; 30-01-2008 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #20
HUNCH
Communications Officer

Been test drilling the pod holes. Painful. My hats of to you J-D for managing it in such a small scale. Has anyone else done this kit and can show pics? Would love to see other peoples work.
James