Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-01-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Default Sci-Fi things that leave you cold...

Not meaning to be deliberately controversial here; just a mid-week throw-away thread.

What massively cult-status sci-fi things leave you cold?

For me, it's:

• Star Trek (non-TOS)
• Predator
• The Matrix
• 'Sky' Series - BSG, Farscape, SG-1 and the like
• Torchwood and all Who after Tom Baker

I'll probably add to the list as this rolls on...

Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
AceMartini
Communications Officer

The "Dune" books. I read six of them before I realized how much I disliked them. I catch on slow, sometimes.
AceMartini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Dune, Matrix and dare I say it...?

Blade Runner.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 01:49 AM   #4
AceMartini
Communications Officer

I have to agree about Blade Runner (and The Matrix). I was given the new box set of the 17 different versions of Blade Runner for Christmas. So far, I've only watched the 1982 version. It has a lot of good ideas and great art direction, but the actual story is somewhat pedestrian. Roy's change of heart is unmotivated by events. The love story with Rachel goes nowhere. It could have been so much more.

The box did come with a nice Spinner car, though.
Old 30-01-2008, 01:49 AM   #5
cricket
Medical Officer

Alien franchise
X-files
Matrix series
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-01-2008, 01:54 AM   #6
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Return of the Jedi.

Coming off the elevated heights of The Empire Strikes Back, I still find very little that is good about Jedi. It's better now that the Ewoks don't sing, but only marginally.
Old 30-01-2008, 02:01 AM   #7
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

The Stargate series because they seem to have borrowed (flogged) just about every idea used on other shows and never seem to come up with their own stuff. You know what will happen, you've seen it elsewhere.

A lot of the Trek movies and believe it or not ....

Dr Who (good shows and all, but its never really grabbed me.)
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 02:36 AM   #8
darthwalls
Computer Technician

X-Files
The matrix series
Both Stargate series(Still love the movie)
Alien3
darthwalls is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 02:50 AM   #9
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

BSG (all series) but especially dislike the new one
Deep Space Nine
Blade Runner
Farscape
Alien films
Dune (not often a film is exactly how I saw it my mind's eye when I read the book, but this came close)
Terrahawks
Went off the X-files about 4th series

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 05:46 AM   #10
CR
Science Officer

This probably isn't news to anyone, as I've mentioned these things before. I don't like...

The X Files. It started out interesting, but I got so sick of the Conspiracy Theory mentality that got so bad, even the show's creators had a hard time figuring out what was going on.
Alien franchise after Aliens. (Yes, I like both Alien & Aliens.)
Predator franchise after the first one. (What can I say? I like the original. Besides, that one movie gives me enough Ahnold quotes to throw around at work: "Stick around," "If it bleeds, we can kill it," and the over-the-top "Run! Get to the Choppah!")
So... Aliens vs Predator is also on this 'don't like' list. Do I really need to elaborate?
Star Trek. I'm pretty close to completely done with it, though I still have my models & blueprints. If I ever want to dump all that, I'll let everyone here know. (I'm not kidding... it's a serious consideration, but all in good time, if at all... don't try to get 'dibs' on my stuff by asking me for it now.)
I'm kinda tired of superhero movies based upon comics, though I was entertained by Spider Man & Fantastic Four (the latter really surprised me... not a great film, but I had fun watching it), and the Iron Man trailer I just saw has me wanting to give that film a shot. (Oh, for a funny take on the whole superhero genre, go to YouTube and look up Marvel vs DC... it's a series of hilarious shorts featuring action figures as the main 'actors.')
The Matrix. Liked the first third of the first film, and pretty much didn't care for the rest of it, until the end. Hated it by the end, when I wondered what the point was. When I heard they were making not one, but two sequels, the first movie made more sense... as in, "ah, this is getting stretched into a trilogy." Yawn. I'm proud to say I have not seen the rest of the series.
Finally (for now), most contemporary sf on tv. Sure the effects are great. OK, the stories are 'edgy,' the characters 'flawed,' just like real life. I don't mind that things are 'gritty,' but I'm sick of all of it being that way! Is there nothing uplifting to look forward to? Must the future just be the present with cool sfx? Blech!

CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #11
Howard
Deputy Commander

DS9
Independence Day
Lost in Space
Supernatural
Charmed
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #12
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
This probably isn't news to anyone, as I've mentioned these things before. I don't like...

The X Files. It started out interesting, but I got so sick of the Conspiracy Theory mentality that got so bad, even the show's creators had a hard time figuring out what was going on.
Alien franchise after Aliens. (Yes, I like both Alien & Aliens.)
Predator franchise after the first one. (What can I say? I like the original. Besides, that one movie gives me enough Ahnold quotes to throw around at work: "Stick around," "If it bleeds, we can kill it," and the over-the-top "Run! Get to the Choppah!")
So... Aliens vs Predator is also on this 'don't like' list. Do I really need to elaborate?
Star Trek. I'm pretty close to completely done with it, though I still have my models & blueprints. If I ever want to dump all that, I'll let everyone here know. (I'm not kidding... it's a serious consideration, but all in good time, if at all... don't try to get 'dibs' on my stuff by asking me for it now.)
I'm kinda tired of superhero movies based upon comics, though I was entertained by Spider Man & Fantastic Four (the latter really surprised me... not a great film, but I had fun watching it), and the Iron Man trailer I just saw has me wanting to give that film a shot. (Oh, for a funny take on the whole superhero genre, go to YouTube and look up Marvel vs DC... it's a series of hilarious shorts featuring action figures as the main 'actors.')
The Matrix. Liked the first third of the first film, and pretty much didn't care for the rest of it, until the end. Hated it by the end, when I wondered what the point was. When I heard they were making not one, but two sequels, the first movie made more sense... as in, "ah, this is getting stretched into a trilogy." Yawn. I'm proud to say I have not seen the rest of the series.
Finally (for now), most contemporary sf on tv. Sure the effects are great. OK, the stories are 'edgy,' the characters 'flawed,' just like real life. I don't mind that things are 'gritty,' but I'm sick of all of it being that way! Is there nothing uplifting to look forward to? Must the future just be the present with cool sfx? Blech!

Yep. Nail hit on head.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #13
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Ok... I will admit it, I watched a great piece of sci-fi (twice in two nights) for the very reasons you've mentioned... "Doom" be blowed... I wanted to be uplifted, and was most resoundingly so

... none other than Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Just taken a re-issue corgi... (done on the cheap.. Yuck) and adding an original base and changing some lights here and there, adding three figures and replacing the dreadful sticker details on the bonnet with some stripes like the actual car... and have done it up the way it was originally sold.... beautiful. Always wanted one and now finally have one. Had to get the DVD of course to do the research, and despite the 60s treacle that you expect, thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't stand sci-fi with no hope ALL the time any more than I can stand treacly nonsense either. I can turn on the news for that. Exactly right CR
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #14
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Torchwood - please stop kissing and lets have some story
New Battlestar Galactica - too miserable, wheres the laughs

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #15
eurosector
Astrophysics Technician

• SeaQuest DSV
  • Babylon 5
  • Lexx
  • Most (but not all) of the other series/movies that have already been mentioned. I do like the original Battlestar Galactica (1978-79) series and the first two Aliens/Aliens installments!

Last edited by eurosector; 30-01-2008 at 12:02 PM.
eurosector is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #16
doon
Communications Officer

Matrix, Seaquest, Anoyager and "Fargate" when Stargate lost any intrest and brought the cast of Farscape in. Although, I really liked Farscape as a whole
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #17
Eagle
Commander Ret.

There's a pattern forming here...
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #18
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Bring speculative fiction back to SF.
Old 30-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #19
fireflashfive
Eagle Pilot

Star Wars.....all of them!
Buffy
The original Battlestar Galactica
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century

Doug.
fireflashfive is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 08:35 PM   #20
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Space 1999
Haha, just kidding...

I think there is a difference between "leaving cold" and hating. So "leaving cold" for me are:

Stargate Series (liked the movie)
X-Files Series (liked the movie)
Buffy, Angel, Charmed and so

for hating we would need a new thread...
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote