Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 22-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Default MAJOR MATT MASON

I just received my first Major Matt Mason figure (Doug Davis) after 44 years. Really a good childhood memory.

Are there any collectors of this Mattel toy series here? (Jim Lewis for instance? )

And is it true that a Major Matt Mason figure was used in UFO?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doug-Davis.jpg (41.3 KB, 98 views)
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

He was used in SPACE:1999. This has been discussed before but I can do some more grabs if anyone wants them. The Super-Naut Limbs are used as set decoration in Henderson's office in UFO though. I think Mark 42 and Chris King both collect too. Great to see your little fella. I bet he won't be the last you get either. Good luck.

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...t=7289&page=25

Here is an internal link which shows the stuff I mention.

Last edited by Jim Lewis; 22-10-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Jim Lewis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Got three, unfortunately the blue one (Jeff Long) is a tad expensive!

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Only two weeks ago, I found out that there were some Japanese replicas in the year 2000. Mattel found out about them and stopped the production.

Dave, unfortunately I missed a Jeff Long some days ago. He went for 50 which is a normal price these days.

But I guess, it is like Jim Lewis said: I also will hunt for Matt Mason, Sgt. Storm and Jeff Long. The aliens and the huge Catpain Laser (ok, ok, it's spelled Captain...lol) don't really do it for me. We shall see.

In any case I will have to make a Major Matt Mason Space 1999 Prop replica... and of course there are other projects coming to my mind...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Matt1999.jpg (30.5 KB, 211 views)

Last edited by Transporter; 23-10-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 23-10-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Loved them! That was one amazing toy line. The first big accessory I had was the glider. I went through two of them as the vaccu-form type plastic on the canopy wore out all too easily. But boy did that sucker fly! Kid next door had the crawler...it really did go over anything! I later traded for parts of a couple of the big command centers. Wish I had some of this stuff now! Mattel's Man in Space was a terrific program indeed, and I'm really glad I was the right age to enjoy it!
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 23-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

This seems an appropriate image to share for this site and the discussion here. It's from the WILD TOYS web-site which is an amazing MAJOR MATT resource. There is a member there who collects but who is also pals with an owner of one of the original 44 Inch Eagles. He posed two of his figures alongside.

http://www.wildtoys.com/MMMPage/index.asp

Last edited by Jim Lewis; 23-10-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 23-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Thank you for the pics, Jim...Hmm wouldn't it be cool to have some MMM Astronauts in the 44" scale. And while I think about this, why not having "bendable" Alphans in the 44" scale size? ...just dreaming...
Old 24-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

I had a few of these as a kid. I loved them. Seem to remember the wires broke easily though
Doug_H is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

I have my Captain Laser from my youth - he's seen better days but I have the footpads and the 3 types of laser gun attachments.
It really the only toy I managed to keep hold of ( apart from Anderson Dinky's that is )
and still dear to my heart (ahhhh...)
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

This is the Space Station I have on display with my MMM figures and some other space related little guys. I have a Crawler boxed and a few other bits but this is the hub of my Major Matt stuff. No Scorpio figure but I am honestly not too worried about that. Great to see the good Major get a mention again. Usually every six months or so he crops up in discussion here.

Old 25-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Nice collection, Jim!

As a kid I had Sgt. Storm and Doug Davis and the Space Station. At the time when growing older I gave away the Station and the astronauts all got broken wires. I only kept their heads. At the age of 15 I used the Doug Davis head on a Tamiya 1/12 Formula One driver figure to represent Carlos Reutemann. Probably this still is somewhere.
Captain Laser never really interested me because I thought he was completely out of size, the green alien was owned by a friend and scorpio never apperead in the toy shop of my town.

Ok, but I see now that I am getting hooked...

Last edited by Transporter; 25-10-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 25-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Love that Callisto - although, at the time, hadn't figured he was anything to do with Mason.
Best though was Captain Lazer - who i spent years trying to get his helmet and nifty boot things to fit my Action Man.
MangaMax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #13
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Theres something about that green alien that just gives me the creeps!

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #14
Transporter
Life Support Officer

I think Scorpio looks much more frightening... (pic from www.wildtoys.com)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scorpio2.jpg (44.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 25-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #15
TVC21
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lewis View Post

This is the Space Station I have on display with my MMM figures and some other space related little guys. I have a Crawler boxed and a few other bits but this is the hub of my Major Matt stuff. No Scorpio figure but I am honestly not too worried about that. Great to see the good Major get a mention again. Usually every six months or so he crops up in discussion here.
Love the 2001 spaceman Jim, what is it????
TVC21 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #16
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Well spotted Chris! The guy atop the 'STATION' is the Madelman 2001 Clavius Astronaut reisussed a few years back. The original early 1970s version is a real rarity so the re-release was on my hit list when a very good mate actually bought one for me as a gift for acting as usher at his wedding. Obviously not like the elusive TWINCH SQUAD astronauts but absolutely what any kid who happened to see the film back in the late 1960s or early 1970s would have wanted. Same goes for me as a big kid now!
Old 26-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #17
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

These are great space-age toys - Still have the Mason, Storm and Davis that I had as a kid - the Davis is able stand on his own two feet, but the other two have to lean on him for support ! Not long ago I managed to find a mint Mason and space sled in opened blister packaging, and also a space station which was mint, in a slightly worn box. Always wanted one of those. I also have a Callisto, but only because his transparent head is kinda cool. The figures also look pretty good with some of the recent Character Options Who releases - particularly the Cybermen.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #18
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Oh well, I just found a Captain Laser... I just saw it in a vintage toy store and it only costed a few pounds (a new sealed one is right now on ebay for $1,250.00). Ok, the shoe attachements, the helmet and the translucent beams etc. are missing and he does not light up, but apart from that he is in very good shape for a plastic toy which is 44 years old...
Old 31-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #19
TVC21
Life Support Officer

Think I posted these pics before, but heyho here they are again, some of the Matt stuff I have here, I`ll dig out some more if people would like to see it;

TVC21 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #20
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Wow ! I still have a ( very well played with ) Doug Davis and Callisto tucked away somewhere .
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote