Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 23-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Default Moebius doing a 'newly tooled' Orion from 2001!

For those that don't know it's not a reissue of the old Aurora kit but a completely new tool - based on the Aurora one but with better more accurate detailing.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

All right! Although, despite the errors, I do love the Aurora detailing. Now only if Mobeus could do some production kits of the Aries, Discovery, etc.
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
ajamodels
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALLINGSTAR View Post
For those that don't know it's not a reissue of the old Aurora kit but a completely new tool - based on the Aurora one but with better more accurate detailing.
That is correct sir. 3D computer models were created to match the various angles that the filming miniature was photographed in. The computer models were then subtley corrected to match the filiming miniatures surface details. All panels lines have been eliminated (they were grossley overscaled), other than the few heavy ones. Also, aztecing decals replicating the shades of grey on the panels are going to be included in the kit. No word if Moebius can acquire the 'PAN AM' logo yet.
The Aurora kit actually followed the filiming miniatures' overall profile, but they screwed up on all the surface details. This was evident cross-referencing with the MGM finalized blueprints, and matching the profiles.

Finally, new box art is being done that actually looks like a scene from the movie! The original boxart was dark, poorly photographed, and the model was an abandoned prototype that nobody seems to know why it was there in the first place!

www.ajamodels.webs.com

Last edited by ajamodels; 27-10-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typos
ajamodels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamodels View Post
That is correct sir. 3D computer models were created to match the various angles that the filming miniature was photographed in. The computer models were then subtley corrected to match the filiming miniatures surface details. All panels lines have been eliminated (they were grossley overscaled), other than the few heavy ones. Also, aztecing decals replicating the shades of grey on the panels are going to be included in the kit. No word if Moebius can acquire the 'PAN AM' logo yet.
The Aurora kit actually followed the filiming miniatures' overall profile, but they screwed up on all the surface details. This was evident cross-referencing with the MGM finalized blueprints, and matching the profiles.

Finally, new box art is being done that actually looks like a scene from the movie! The original boxart was dark, poorly photographed, and the model was an abandoned prototype that nobody seems to know why it was there in the first place!

www.ajamodels.webs.com

Interesting to read how it's being done but I hope there's some good surface detail on it and we get a good amount of recessed panels instead of a bare surface with decals for the panels. Are you working on it aja?
Old 28-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

I still have an original Aurora Orion in my stash. Technically it is the second edition, done with the McCall'esque painting on the cover with Orion coming out of the station. Comparing it with the Airfix kit I built for the CultTVman book, it is interesting how both companies interpreted the Orion. Aurora seemed to get the shapes pretty good, but screwed up on the minor details. Airfix on the otherhand got the shape kind of hosed, yet got more of the minor details right (block on the spine, openings in the wings, greeblie panels in various spots). At least if you lower the profile of the hump on the Airfix kit and cut back the nose to be more angled, it looks a lot better, yet the Aurora kit still has a more accurate shape it seems.

Even if Moebius can't get the Pan Am logos, somebody in the aftermarket industry will do it I'm sure. One alternative set of markings I would love to see would be the United logos seen on the Orion in Bill George's Sci Fi Airshow renderings. Markings for Richard Branson's slightly altered Virgin shuttle from the old Sci Fi Channel advert (wish I had it on video tape) would be cool as well. I've also got a decal sheet for JMC Air (a short lived charter airline based in Europe). I was planning on doing an Orion as an in-joke and marking it as "JMC Space".
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

depending on the scale, it might be possible to use suitable airliner decals
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Here's the current copyright owner: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=3&favsearch=1 I hate that damn terrorists killed the airline, but I'm glad the graphics are still in use and in this case on classic locomotives...plus I love the blue!
Hopefully they will be amenable to allowing the use of their logos. Thus far they have painted different era Pan Am logos on their locomotives and equipment; in other words, they have had a good time with them. Can't wait for the new Orion and hope this will be the start of a whole line....I can see a big Seaview sized box with a discovery kit inside at my local hobby shop!
Old 29-10-2010, 03:45 AM   #8
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

You can have a Discovery after Moebius gets a license to do a nice big Eagle transporter in the same scale as their Moonbus.

Hey, it could happen.
Old 29-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
TonyB
Forum Supporter

I saw advertised yesterday that Moebius are also doing a pre-built and finished 2001 Moonbus, packaged similar to their Seaview release.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #10
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
I saw advertised yesterday that Moebius are also doing a pre-built and finished 2001 Moonbus, packaged similar to their Seaview release.
Ahhh... Now they do it! It will be interesting to see how they do their interior. That was the hardest part of the kit, especially with no clear photos of the actual set.

Old 29-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Oh, I am really looking forward to a decent Orion Clipper. Then I don't have to finish my Airfix one which became more and more complicated after I was reading about all the inaccuracies...
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #12
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
Oh, I am really looking forward to a decent Orion Clipper. Then I don't have to finish my Airfix one which became more and more complicated after I was reading about all the inaccuracies...
I don't think the Airfix kit was that bad once you deal with the big problems. Besides, once built with the modifications and seated on the back of its "launch booster", it looks fine.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:22 AM   #13
Mr. Wabac
Alphan

Looking forward to this kit. As has been stated there were pros and cons of both the Airfix and Aurora releases. You couldn't combine the two kits, so you were left with the deficiencies of one or the other.

Without starting a firestorm here, I have to wonder about the value of adding to tooling cost by including any interior for this kit. If it is the same size as the Aurora, the cockpit and side windows are so small as to hide any possible details. If someone wanted an aftermarket kit, fine, but why not keep the kit costs down in this case. Also, no speculative Aurora propulsion system please.
Mr. Wabac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #14
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
It's NOT a completely new tool, but rather a back engineered Aurora kit with some improvements. The kit will be "smooth" and the panel lines replicated by a decal as per some of the "aztec" decals applied to the Enterprise.The kit will be sans the atomic engines of the Aurora original and not have an interior. It is highly likely it will not come with Pan Am decals due to licensing issues.

Marty...

Last edited by marty_hopkirk; 21-12-2010 at 06:18 PM.
marty_hopkirk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #15
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_hopkirk View Post
It's NOT a completely new tool, but rather a back engineered Aurora kit with some improvements. The kit will be "smooth" and the panel lines replicated by a decal as per some of the "aztec" decals applied to the Enterprise.The kit will be sans the atomic engines of the Aurora original and not have an interior. It is highly likely it will not come with Pan Am decals due to licensing issues.

Marty...

I seem to remember Moebius saying it was an all new tool. Also, if you look at photo's of it besides the original Aurora kit there's many differences. The only thing that's really similar is the size. Even the shape of the nose appears slightly thicker on the Moebius kit.

Old 18-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #16
healvis
Communications Officer

I see the Spindrift is also getting a re-issue..
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 03:18 AM   #17
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

Will you be posting any sample pics of the new Moebius
Orion Spaceclipper kit when it's assembled?
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
I seem to remember Moebius saying it was an all new tool. Also, if you look at photo's of it besides the original Aurora kit there's many differences. The only thing that's really similar is the size. Even the shape of the nose appears slightly thicker on the Moebius kit.

Well here it is:

Having it in my hands, I can't help think it has Aurora heritage in it, somewhere down the line, I have the a couple of the Aurora kits to compare - given the Aurora kit was deemed basically accurate too. There has always been some suggestion that Aurora had access to either the filming miniature and/or the AD drawings, it would make sense.

The smooth finish and the decal are a cool call as it keeps a number of options open. It appears from a cursory check against references to be fundamentally accurate and is a really good basis for making an accurate replica of the filming miniature. The part count is low just over 20. The stand is numbered 45 and 46, does this indicate it was slated to have more parts at one time?

There are few glitches, most notably the top of fuselage behind the flight deck does not "kick-up". It's a very good model indeed. That said, I would However, give the edge on accuracy to the Stargazer model. But, it is still a super kit.

There is quite a disparity from the UK RRP price and that of the US. Cult is knocking these out for a converted cost of 13. I see the price at the "regular" outlets is circa 30. Even with international post - importing one self has got to be a strong consideration.

Marty...

Last edited by marty_hopkirk; 19-03-2011 at 01:06 PM.
marty_hopkirk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #19
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Thanks for posting the photos. Looks quite good, though I'm at a loss as to why after redoing the kit, they still leave that strange raised rib just in front of the windows and the raised area for the Pan Am roundals.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #20
CR
Science Officer

Neat kit. Thanks for posting the pics!

That box art reminds me of DX-SFX's avatar.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote