Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 05-01-2006, 02:01 AM   #1
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Default More Airfix Magic.

OK, it's late and I'm in the mood to waffle. For most Brits of a certain age, Airfix were the backbone of most modellers early lives. They certainly were for me and I must have easily had at least half of the entire Airfix back catalogue over the years. Perhaps part of the pleasure of building the Space 1999 models is that they're liberally layered in Airfix nostalgia. Most people know of Hunbrol tinlets of enamel but who also remembers that Airfix had their own range of paints in similar tinlets? Airfix instruction sheets always quoted Airfix paint codes which of course were the source of much frustration for modellers due to the fact that Humbrol was the more common paint in model shops. But who here admits to remembering Airfix paints in the original glass bottles before they switched to tinlets in the mid to late sixties?

In addition to space related kits I collect pre 1975 Airfix kits and recently I picked up four Airfix bottles of paint. The pigment had separated and no amount of agitation would encourage the clear bit to mix with the colour and I assumed that age had taken it's toll.

Not so it seems. I took the lid off two of them tonight and found that the pigment was still soft and just needed a little dislodging with a bit of kit sprue. After thirty seconds stirring, I put the cap back on and gave it a shake for about a minute. Would you believe it, forty year old paint as good as the day it was made. Now that is what you call a quality product!
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Heh, I am definately in 'that certain age' bracket Chris.

I too went through more than 50% plus of the entire Airfix catalogue through the mid 60s and 1970s.

I remember my first Airfix purchases too, which was over 40 years ago now, I was in junior school and would have been seven or eight The very first things that I bought were a couple of boxes of the HO/OO figures, they were Russian Infantry and Foreign Legion.

The first actual kit that I bought was a Centurian Tank, closey followd by the Supermarine Spitfire, how many kids had that kit I wonder. Oh I do remember those bags and headers with fondness.

I remember the paints, tinlets and bottles and I even remember the small tubes of polysterene cement that Airfix used to do.

Oh oh, pinning for the fjords now.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
w8cmp
Science Officer

I'm in that club too...

My first Airfix kit was the P.1127 (Harrier prototype) though having said that my first ever kit was a Grumman Intruder (don't remember the make - believe Japanese). Dad helped with these early kits, and I remember the feeling of awe as I unwrapped a birthday present from my Uncle one year - the Airfix Lockheed Hercules with Bloodhound missile / landrover. At the time I couldn't imagine a more complicated model kit !

I now seem to be on a mission of collecting the Airfix kit back catalogue - there are not many of their line that I haven't made at one time or another - but you will always remember some of those kits that stood out as favourites. I fondly remember a SAAB Viggen and (original BOAC prototype livery) Concorde which were built and then became great 'submarines' at bath time. You could really explore their aerodynamic qualities in the thicker medium of water

I had several bottles of Airfix paint - all been 'recycled' now - but I standardised on the Humbrol tinlets after that, with only the odd few Airfix tinlets bought (they were a different size so were quite annoying.

Looking through my current 'stock' of paint I have over 400 tinlets in my workshop right now - though can't vouch for the state of some of them...

I'm looking for a better way of storing them in my workshop than a desk drawer (4 tinlets deep in places) and was thinking of one of those small shallow drawered cabinets you can get from office stationers. Oh it would be nice to be able to see all the colours I have available without having to remove layers of tinlets to get to the ones at the bottom...

How do you guys store yours ?
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
TonyB
Forum Supporter

I have absolutey tons of paints, mainly acrylics these days though.

I have four large tool chests and I keep them in those for general storage, apart from the ones I am currently using that is.

Just look at the pictures on here to see what I mean...

http://www.tnthobbies.co.uk/benchcam.htm

I only have the odd tin of enamel paint lying around as I do not tend to use them much anymore, although I do have a huge stock of cans of various colours of spray paint in the garage though.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Even as a kit I must have had three Centurions over the years. That was a great model. I remember my brother sent me one when we were holidaying in Belgium as well as my first bottle of liquid glue (and a brush). What a revelation that was compared with the tube stuff. I had two of the BOAC Concordes and I've a MIB example in the loft. I had at least three Mk IX Spitfires due in part to a wonderful idea I had that if I held them over a candle nose down, the rising hot air would make the propellor spin, thus my introduction to adding a clear disk of plastic behind the spinner to simulate rotating blades.

I remember pinning two sides of a BEA Vanguard to the side of a raffia waste bin and putting it in front of the gas fire to speed up the paint drying process. You had to paint first because you needed to add the decals in order to punch through the decals before adding the windows and then closing the fuselage. I was most distressed to come back and find one fuselage half looking like a Salvadore Dali painting.

I've lost count of the number of Saturn V's I've had, even more so in later years.

I had an Uncle who was into kits and he built a good number of models for me too. Oh happy days.

I keep all my Humbrols in two large biscuit tins.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote