SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 24-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Default Guide for building 22 & 44 eagles

Hey guys.

Been a while, but I find myself back to the Eagle building situation again. Funny, but I never got to scratch that itch the last time it took hold.

I was wondering if anyone had compiled a list of sites, or even post that cold become kind of a "how to" guide for building an eagle.

I learned allot by modifying a P12 eagle, and would like to take a shot at a 22 inch Eagle. Right now I have been going through the forum, but still have a few questions, which is simply cause I have not have experience in things like brass welding, whats the best way to put together the spine of the craft, ect...

I hope to go through and document some of the steps I go through, but also believe that research and knowledge is a key to getting things done.

Any urls or posts are welcome. If theres no objections, I'll start posting up some questions and ideas that I have already made up, and see if we can get things going.

Looking forward to it...
Alpha's last child is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
Big Rab
Forum Supporter

Very simple answer to this one. The holly grail of Eagle building.

http://www.btinternet.com/~tobor/realmodels.htm

This one shows all you need to know and it is what started me off a few years ago.
Old 25-02-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
Rdrunner
Eagle Pilot

Also check out Barry's site , David Sisson and also another favorite Flywestjet and last but not least Our awesome Commander RU 23 project
Rdrunner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 07:19 AM   #4
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Thanks for those great links guys...

I was wondering if anyone knows where to get the correct brass stock in Australia. I started trying to make a few chamfers for the tube cages out of K&S stock, but ended up tearing up the tube with a hand file!

Not to cool. Anyone now the thickness needed? I was also thinking about building a 22inch Eagle before building a 44 inch one? Worth it, or do you think that for the effort, just go the big one first?

Thanks again
Old 28-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

You'll need to go to an industrial metals place. Where are you in AU BTW? From what the guys who've made them say, you need the thick tubing or the soldering makes a very sad mess of the stuff. The people at the end of those links are mostly part of this forum so you can always ask questions here directly.

Go for the large first, but get enough brass to practise a little before you do the work. David Sisson's site (Mark42 here) has a bit on how he goes about building eagles if you haven't yet spotted it. They all make it look easy, but they say its not.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Hey Tony42...

I live in Melbourne, but used to live in Adelaide. When I saw your post about watching S1999 for the first time, I was shocked. I wish you were on when I was still in SA, I would have thrown you a copy of the show!

Funny enough, original s1999 props and models also live in SA. So does a very well known collector, although now-a-days he flys under the radar. I beleive David Sisson knows him well.

I will have to look around to find some stock. I have a sherline lathe, so I might give it a shot. Be cool to build up a nice and big eagle.
Old 28-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Wow. It would be great to see that collection. I can keep things under the radar if you ever have contact with the collector. There are a number of members in Melbourne now. Post pictures of the build if you can.
Old 28-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
Rdrunner
Eagle Pilot

Alpha, check in Launchpad, possibly from pages 10 to the last page for the thickness, there is some information about it that was posted by DX. HTH
Rdrunner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #9
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
Wow. It would be great to see that collection. I can keep things under the radar if you ever have contact with the collector.
Its a shame, but the only times I ever saw the models was when I helped him move house. Hes kinda funny that way. To think of all the friday nights we used to have a drink and a chat, he was very... uptight... about showing them off...

Too each there own... Once I moved, I lost touch, sorry Tony42. Your more than welcome to come over and see my crappy collection anytime your in Melbourne though!
Old 29-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Has anyone documented the profiles needed on the brass pieces? Be nice to get a profile happening, and see if there is a way to get them done...

Just a thought...

Old 29-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #11
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Personally I'd build the 22" first to help you get a feel for building the model, then move up to the 44". Also you can't really hold a 44" or play with it so its nice to have a model you can just put in your hand.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #12
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

The wisdom that comes from experience... you just can't play with a 44", but you can with a 22"
Old 02-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #13
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Done... 22'' Eagle being build for Pad 1....
Old 28-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #14
Stu73
Communications Officer

if some kind person on here could let me have a 44", I'd sure have a go at playing with it!
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 05:58 AM   #15
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Hmmm yes, me too.

Old 29-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #16
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

Hi Guys

Just arrived here today after Google-trawling for Eagle info. I'm also ex-Adelaide, having moved to Perth in 1994. Why are all the good folks leaving Adelaide (no offence intended, Tony42!).

I have recently purchased (still boxed while sorting workshp) a mini-lathe and mill for some other stuff I'm docing, but I've pretty much decided to dive right in and build an al[most] all aluminium 44".

I just ordered Daniel's plans and will try and find my old 1:76 models I built up in the early 80s. I remember I was in the toy dept of Harrods with my parents and saw them for about 6 pounds, so I bought 3! I hope at least one still exists in a removal box somewhere.

Anyway, I hope to be able to give and receive meaningful information about building a 44. It won't be a quick build, though - I tend to have far too many projects going at once...

Regards
Richard

Last edited by T70MkIII; 29-03-2008 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Bourbon induced gramatical issues
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #17
hwels
Communications Officer

And welcome T70MkIII !!
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #18
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Hi T70MkIII, Perth is good too. Just don't use your Airfix eagles as a guide. Buy a PE 12" for that. Sounds like a great project. How would you do the CM in aluminium BTW (a question from the ignorant )
Old 30-03-2008, 05:24 AM   #19
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

Thanks hwels.

Hi Tony 42 - a good question. My 2 ideas so far are based on making up a pattern out of MDF & Strene etc and then:

1. Have it cast using very fine casting sand (and a sand core so it comes out pretty light). The casting could then be polished to what ever degree required - natural looking smooth aluminium or mirror finish(!), and sealed with clear powdercoat for scratch and corrosion protection.

OR

2. Have my pattern 3D scanned, cleaned up in CAD and then have the CM machined on a CNC. The engineering firm that does some work for me on another project has a big, beautiful 5 axis machine which may be able to get a smooth enough finish. It might work out too expensive if they need to be hand finished or polished after machining costs. Casting is cheap!

If either of these are viable, it would make sense to offer units for sale here.

If I can make all the parts for a 44" out of aluminium, I may polish it and apply decals, rather than painting it FDW. "Sacrilige", some may say, but I've done a chrome (painted) X-Wing with the decals, and it looks awesome - not like a mainstream fighter; more like a prototype or a display / promo model that would have been made by the manufacturer for marketing purposes.

I'd be keen to hear what you think.

Last edited by T70MkIII; 30-03-2008 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Separation of 2 concepts
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #20
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

PE did a chrome version of the eagle that's not that good. If you want raw, I'd leave it matt, then it would really look like a prototype or a newly finished effort before painting. That would be cool. Perhaps do two... one painted one not. Please post pictures as it comes together, it will be great to see.