Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 24-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Default Request Advice on a TB2 model

Hello all. I've finally decided to join up after having lurked here for quite some time. I have been modelling since I was a nipper with the original Airfix Angel Interceptor being the first thing I put together back during an age where I was so young I couldn't read the instructions!
I took almost a ten year break from the scene whilst bringing up my children but now they are at an age to have their own hobbies I've decided to dip my toes back into the modelling waters again. (Oh...I did build two full scale Daleks in my ten year "off" period so my time wasn't totally devoted to family duties!)
I have decided to go back to the Anderson craft I loved so much as a kid, and so picked up the Imai (Big) Thunderbird 2 kit from Comet last week. I believe this one of the largest TB2 kits produced dwarfed only by a very rare HUGE foam/resin model (?) (also by IMAI).
I'd wanted initially to splash out on the excellent Takira TB2 model but they appear to be as rare as rocking horse shit...and I just couldn't be bothered with the mammoth task it would have been to start stripping down and re-painting one of the Iconic replicas new "replica props". Having read about it's many inaccuracies here it just seems to much time effort and cost to even consider whilst I was this side of sanity.
So I picked up the old Imai (B1511) which was on offer at Comet for a mere fifteen quid!
A couple of questions for those experts out there though before I pick up the wet and dry paper and super-glue.
Q: Are any aftermarket parts available for this kit to help accurise it? I know one of the 1:350 scale TB2 kits had aftermarket jets and other etched brass details on offer. Is anything available for this larger TB2 model?
Q: Can anyone tell me what scale the model I have is?
Q: Can anyone recommend any pod vehicles from any other manufacturer that would look in scale with this kit? (it comes with a Mole and TB4 in the box)
Q: And the big question....can anyone suggest what I can do to this model to make it something a little special? I am toying with making new retractable landing legs from cut down sections of car aerial and also drilling out and cleaning up the windows on the "beak". Even though this is a fairly large model (approx 15 inches) I'm still not sure fabricating a cockpit interior would be worth the effort in this scale...would anyone even see it? (especially inside my display cabinet). Any ideas how to make the windows look "real" without just painting them flat black or white?
Q: How should I display the finished model? I'm not certain whether I want the thing mounted on a glass rod "in-flight" or in landing mode with Pod down and one of the vehicles emerging (which would mean scratch-building the Pod interior to some degree). Ideally I'd like the option to display it in both scenarios depending on how I feel! (maybe I should just buy two!)

Anyway, I'm glad to be here at last and just wanted to say I think you guys are VERY talented. Some of the models I've seen here have just blown me away and it was this site that re-inspired me to start modelling once again.

Cheers.

Regards

Slate
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
cricket
Medical Officer

Welcome, Slate! Wow, I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. My family has recently become addicted to the Thunderbirds and I'm enjoying anew all the Thunderbird models on the board.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Before T42 or Cricket get a chance - Slate !

I think I bought the same large scale TB2 with similar intentions, but it's still sitting in the loft ! I think some of the Konami pod vehicles may be about the right size to match this model, and not too hard to obtain. Good luck with the build !

Drat and double drat !
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
cricket
Medical Officer

cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Good morning all. Fighting over welcome signs are we. Welcome Slate Mcleod. At least one of our members has actually built this model. I shall try to find where the pictures are posted for you. Please post your own pictures as you go if you can.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
paul gray
Forum Supporter

you have to be quicker than that Air , to beat Tony or cricket. Slate
cheers Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #7
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Old 25-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
Good morning all. Fighting over welcome signs are we. Welcome Slate Mcleod. At least one of our members has actually built this model. I shall try to find where the pictures are posted for you. Please post your own pictures as you go if you can.
Thanks Tony. I have tons of TB2 reference pics of various studio props plus other models, but none I think of this particular version. Rest assured I'll take plenty of snaps and post them in a Photobucket account

Cheers

Slate
Old 25-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

This is the thread I was thinking of. w8cmp did a beautiful job on this TB2.. I think this is the one you have. He'll be able to confirm or not.

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...2ATwo%2Aphotos

When you read the whole thread you still have to wonder what in the world IR were thinking
Old 25-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #10
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
This is the thread I was thinking of. w8cmp did a beautiful job on this TB2.. I think this is the one you have. He'll be able to confirm or not.

When you read the whole thread you still have to wonder what in the world IR were thinking
Totally agree on both counts.

Old 25-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #11
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:

Thanks for the link to the thread. That model looks to be the larger rarer resin/foam filled version (looking at in scale to the workbench and paint pots etc). Mine is smaller at only 15 inches but they are still good reference pics. I bought the recommended Rover Applejack paint today but it looks a little too light. I will spray some test patches on the pod tomorrow in a variety of different greens and see how it looks. I also purchased today some brass rod to make axles for the "rollers" beneath the pod as the horrible oversized wheels provided with the kit have to go!
A question for you TB2 experts out there. I have posted some pics below that show the rocket motors at the rear. One pic is of the large studio prop (I think) that was used for the launch sequences. The other two show the Takira model. I'm curious about the black line that runs around the rear of the red rear engines...in the still from the show it looks like a solid black line but on other pics I've seen its broken into what I can only describe as a vertical "turret" pattern as seen atop castle walls (if you get my meaning). Some reference pics depict this detail and others not. Strangely, of the two close up pics of the Takira model I've posted it appears on one and not the other!
I know there were more than TV prop created..is this just a case of inaccurate continuity as with the TB3 and TB1 lettering?

Thanks guys!

Slate
Old 25-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #12
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

The still of the rear engine is from the Movie version that had a much more simple paint scheme in this area, hence the plain black band. Your last picture is a model based on the original TV version.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #13
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
The still of the rear engine is from the Movie version that had a much more simple paint scheme in this area, hence the plain black band. Your last picture is a model based on the original TV version.
Aha! Thanks for explaining that! I will try and stick to references of the larger TV version as far as possible from now on.

Many thanks

Slate
Old 25-02-2008, 10:20 PM   #14
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:

Having reread this post, I'm not sure that this is the kit that Slate has - if it is then w8cmp has done wonders with it. Where's that every TB2 kit ever produced guide when you need it...
Old 25-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #15
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

There's a superb close up shot of the TV version tail section (a bit scorched) in the episode "Terror In New York City".
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #16
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
There's a superb close up shot of the TV version tail section (a bit scorched) in the episode "Terror In New York City".
Cheers...I've just ordered the DVD set of all 32 episodes so I'll be taking plenty of screen grabs in the next week or so!

What I REALLY could do with is a clear shot of the underside of ANY of the props showing the position of the pod rollers...all I have of the underside is the Iconic replicas version and I just keep spotting more and more errors in that so don't trust it one bit. Tonight I spotted that their version has the pod only subdivded into 5 "ribbed" sections when its clear on every other model and prop pic that it should be six!

Thanks

Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
Having reread this post, I'm not sure that this is the kit that Slate has - if it is then w8cmp has done wonders with it. Where's that every TB2 kit ever produced guide when you need it...
If it is the same model then it "looks" like the guy who made this one must have cut out the windows and fitted clear ones as on the version I have they are molded into the beak. I'm seriously considering doing the same anyway Then again it may just be reflections and his may be just be black with a few coats of high gloss varnish. Hard to tell. Hopefully he will join this thread soon and confirm.

Slate
Old 25-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #17
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Just to get you started:

I've never been a fan of the Applejack theory either not least of which because all the paint code books I have don't show Applejack as available before the early seventies.

This screen grab shows the launch model cleaned up and with the bigger 2 applied to the side but is otherwise relatively unchanged. The yellow and grey kit pieces, mostly Revell Mercury Atlas and Airfix Girder Bridge, appear unpainted and well colour balanced so it's difficult to imagine the green in this shot being far off:

And this shot with the model still sporting it's small 2 and therefore presumably in it's very original paint:

Last edited by DX-SFX; 25-02-2008 at 11:15 PM.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #18
w8cmp
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Mcleod View Post
If it is the same model then it "looks" like the guy who made this one must have cut out the windows and fitted clear ones as on the version I have they are molded into the beak. I'm seriously considering doing the same anyway Then again it may just be reflections and his may be just be black with a few coats of high gloss varnish. Hard to tell. Hopefully he will join this thread soon and confirm.

Slate
I'm here !!!

The model I made was the small plastic kit, which was the first accurately shaped kit available. It's only about 8inches long - I believe 1:350 scale and already had the cut out windows, which I filled with Microscale Kristal Klear - though the years of dust have taken their toll on the finish of those windows.

If yours has got solid windows, the kit probably pre-dates mine - there were many versions produced...

Chris
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 12:05 AM   #19
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

<snip>

I've never been a fan of the Applejack theory either not least of which because all the paint code books I have don't show Applejack as available before the early seventies.

This screen grab shows the launch model cleaned up and with the bigger 2 applied to the side but is otherwise relatively unchanged. The yellow and grey kit pieces, mostly Revell Mercury Atlas and Airfix Girder Bridge, appear unpainted and well colour balanced so it's difficult to imagine the green in this shot being far off:

And this shot with the model still sporting it's small 2 and therefore presumably in it's very original paint:

<snip>

Thanks a bunch for those excellent reference images! They will really help me when painting this beast. I don't think anyone ever suggested that Rover Applejack was THE definitive colour...it was just the one Dave Sisson used on his version and has been adopted by many as the nearest available match in an available UK tinnie without mixing paints. I doubt anyone exists who even remembers what the original/s where painted in as it was likely a mix made up at Slough to suit on that particular day. That's probably why even Mr Medding's team weren't able to replicate it on future models.

If you have any more clear images of TB2 (especially the Pod underside!) please post them here...you're a star!

Thanks again

Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8cmp View Post
I'm here !!!

The model I made was the small plastic kit, which was the first accurately shaped kit available. It's only about 8inches long - I believe 1:350 scale and already had the cut out windows, which I filled with Microscale Kristal Klear - though the years of dust have taken their toll on the finish of those windows.

If yours has got solid windows, the kit probably pre-dates mine - there were many versions produced...

Chris

Thanks Chris. I have no idea about the dating but I have read up on the version you have. It's called the "premium" version or something similar and was also available with etched brass parts. You can still buy the etched brass additions over on Fab Gear somewhere as I spotted them yesterday. If yours is a 1:350 version then you truly have done a fab (excuse pun!) job. The detail on your paintjob makes it look HUGE. I only hope I can do as well with mine as you have certainly set the bar on this one! Can you describe how you weathered it so subtly?? It looks like you have masked and sprayed certain panels a different shade of green and then blended in with either chalks/graphite or an airbrush with an ultra fine jet???

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Cheers

Slate
Old 26-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #20
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Mcleod View Post
If yours is a 1:350 version then you truly have done a fab (excuse pun!) job. The detail on your paintjob makes it look HUGE.

Absolutely - certainly fooled me.

Regarding the underside of TB" - there is a shot of the original model from below in the 1960s style guide. There's a copy of it in the Japanese pink book, but it's very small. If anyone has the original style guide they might be able to scan a reference shot and enlarge it, but these are pretty hard to come by these days.