Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Launch Crater

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default I asked Mike Trim "What colour is TB2" he said....

If there was one person I had to talk to at Fanderson it was Mike Trim. So imagine my surprise when as I asked a common ice breaker question hoping to raise a humorous smile, the conversation went something like this....

"Hi Mike, it's Bernie from the Eagle Forum, pleased to meet you"

"Hello, nice to meet you too"

"So tell me, what colour was Thunderbird 2?"

Big smile from me really hoping Mike would pick up on my invitation to play a little before moving on to ask all the details from the UFO models he had designed. Instead he turned fully towards me and said;

"That is a great question, recently I have found some of my old notes and now have all the Pantone colour references for Thunderbird 2, let me have an email address and I will send them to you."

Taken aback I said; "You will never know how many modellers on our forum would be happy to know that information, may I post it there?"

He said; "Sure, come and see me in the sales room afterwards. It's nice to share information and give everyone on the forum my regards."

About now my mouth went dry and my hands started shaking, I legged it to the model room as I knew Chris Potter had some spare business cards for the forum. I scribbled my direct email address on the back and rushed back to hand this to Mike.

"There you go and thank you so much" I mumbled.... expecting to back away bowing and never hear from him again, I was very grateful of the chance to meet him and thank him in person.

He looked at my card and then said;

"I also have made a set of drawings of Thunderbird 2, I had to hunt down the same set of French Curves I used originally as I was certain one of them defined the shape used to form the fuselage, would you be interested in seeing them?"

"I can do better than that" I said, "I would love to offer them to the forum for the modellers there to buy"

I have to say at this point the nerves had eased, Mike is such an easy person to talk with that it was like chatting with any other forum member and not the super talent that had added the heartbeat to so many of the shows I love. For the next 10 minuets I had the most amazing conversation with someone I respect and admire greatly.

As promised a few days later he did indeed send me the Thunderbird 2 Pantone reference, below is the email, duly copied here to share with everyone as I promised him I would:

Hi Bernie,
Here are the Pantone references as promised, which I hope are still current. They are a few years old now and I know that, as far as Pantone markers are concerned, they have changed the numbers in recent years, so fingers crossed.

TB2 Green = Pantone 363 U. Yellow fuselage band = 602 U. Engine Red =485 U. Yellow bands on tail unit = 107 U.

These colours are as close as I could get to my memory of those used on the original model and prior to all the dirt that accumulated over time. Having worked on it it so many times, plus cleaning and respraying sections, that memory is still fairly vivid. The tail bands were an applied tape which was a much brighter and more acid colour than the fuselage band that was a spray on by Master Models.

The red circles surrounding the VTO exhausts on the underside were, I think, applied by us and were more of a poppy red (probably Trimite paint). The yellow band around them was, in all probability, the same tape as the tail bands.

So, I hope that these will be of use and I will certainly have a think about the plans idea.

Best wishes

Mike Trim

What a fantastic day, I can't wait to see Mike's drawings, obviously I will keep everyone up to date if I can make an agreement with him to supply them.

Cap'n
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
captain_Ed
Medical Technician

Well, I am certainly glabberfasted by this . I am always delighted by the generosity of people liike Mike and our dear Cap'n who are willing to share their knowledge. I hope that those pantone references can be found and decoded
thanks once again
Eddie
captain_Ed is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
w8cmp
Science Officer

One of several fantastic encounters we had over the weekend Bernie. All the guys - Alan Shubrook, Mike Trim and even Gerry were approachable and willing to chat about our favourite subjects - as it appears it is their passion too.

I'm still getting over the fact that Gerry said he'd film my Eagle tomorrow if he was making 1999 now...he actually thought it was an original !
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
Dave
Communications Officer

Nice one Bernie! Fantastic stuff.

Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
TonyB
Forum Supporter

The guests at the cons are great, they have always been very approachable and willing to chat to you, its just a shame that so many of them have now gone.

Great stuff on the colour reference Bernie.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-10-2010, 05:54 AM   #6
Fun Pod
Communications Officer

It's so pleasing to have some of these historical colour/model detail assumptions clarified by the original artists and remove the guesswork. A big thanks to Mike Trim for sharing the wealth, which, by the sounds of it, is simply part of his friendly nature.

Boy, look forward to those TB 2 plans!
Fun Pod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Thumbs up A priority of questions.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Nice one Bernie! Fantastic stuff.

Hi Dave and thanks, it's my pleasure.

Am I to assume this is a patch of the colour code referred to by Mike? I searched for samples of the codes he mentions but there are many results for this and it will take me awhile to find the correct link.

I contacted Pantone and requested a price for a set of colour chips, I had to sit down when they told me. I will buy a set just not this side of Christmas....

I will be talking with Mike again soon so if there are anymore questions you would like me to ask, now is the time to let me know.

Cap'n
Old 29-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

http://www.materials-world.com/panto...ated_stock.htm
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default Ask a researcher....

Thank you Mike Delamar, that'll make life easier.

I knew I made you a researcher for a reason.

The below are a guide only, EVERY monitor is different and unless you use colour corrected equipment DON'T use this as a replacement for a physical Pantone colour swatch. They are produced to accurately represent the colours noted and is the reason they are so expensive. The code number Mike has quoted is within the uncoated Pantone colour range.

I wonder if he remembers what the other craft colours were, I would love to know what orange TB3 was and the yellow of TB4 has always been a little problematic....

Cap'n

Old 29-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

not just thunderbird 2. will be usefull for other vehicles, green monorail helijet Im sure is thunderbird 2 green, and the yellow for MSP etc.

I think everything was sprayed with grey primer too? might be worth asking him that as that always affects colour.

Mike

Old 29-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
I will be talking with Mike again soon so if there are anymore questions you would like me to ask, now is the time to let me know.

Cap'n
List any questions and I certainly will ask. He only has to answer one person here and we will all know.

Cap'n
Old 29-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Great thread, Bernie! Thanks. And what did you find out about the UFO models?
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
w8cmp
Science Officer

Some blueprints of the UFO are wrong in showing a missing 'vane & paddle'. This broke off in production the day the Japanese team arrived to take infinite details of the models to make kits, and some drawings and kits were produced which copied this exactly, with the missing vane / paddle.

The UFO should have a full complement - all equally spaced.
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #14
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Alan Shrubrook explained the reason the mobiles were blue. Apparantly Derek Meddings had just bought a new car and guess what colour it was...??

Mike Trim explained why there was a step down in the width of both the Joe 90 Explosives truck and the later design developed from it, The SHADO Mobile. The cab was narrowed to make a camera angle called a two shot much easier as it moved both the driver and his mate closer together.

Mike also reminisced about the first job he did for Derek Meddings which was to produce a set of working drawings to send to Master Models of Thunderbird Two. He laughed at the irony as he has just finished a set of drawings recreating this work and come full circle.

Is this what you meant?

Cap'n
Old 29-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #15
Dave
Communications Officer

I could listen to these stories all day - keep going...!
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #16
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Sorry, Chris, but that's not entirely true: At the beginning of Psychobombs it is clearly visible, that the landing UFO is really missing that vane and paddle. Probably the "accident" of braking off the vane and paddle happened during filming, but the UFO without it, was used in "Psychobombs" and is therefore "official".

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8cmp View Post
Some blueprints of the UFO are wrong in showing a missing 'vane & paddle'. This broke off in production the day the Japanese team arrived to take infinite details of the models to make kits, and some drawings and kits were produced which copied this exactly, with the missing vane / paddle.

The UFO should have a full complement - all equally spaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UFOPsychob1.jpg (74.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg UFOPsychob2.jpg (75.0 KB, 91 views)
Old 29-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #17
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

yeah but it wasnt originally meant to have a missing vane
Old 29-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #18
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Delamar View Post
yeah but it wasnt originally meant to have a missing vane
Well Mike, I am not too sure about that. Maybe the Alien pilot in the UFO was just a bit bigger and needed a larger hatch to get in and out of the UFO...
Old 29-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #19
astrocat
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
Sorry, Chris, but that's not entirely true: At the beginning of Psychobombs it is clearly visible, that the landing UFO is really missing that vane and paddle. Probably the "accident" of braking off the vane and paddle happened during filming, but the UFO without it, was used in "Psychobombs" and is therefore "official".
That's quite right.
If you look at all the model UFOs in slow motion it becomes obvious ALL except the very smallest ones have one vane missing, and were filmed that way. Many often have extra bits of foil scrumpled up and stuffed in between the vanes just to add to the effect. The reason, I believe, was given by Derek Meddings in an interview many years ago. He said that in initial film tests it was difficult to see if the UFOs were actually spinning. I'm assuming the removal of one vane, the addition of extra foil, and adding a single black stripe to the disc right on the bottom of the white area all helped solve the problem.

I would imagine the original design was indeed supposed to have vanes all the way around, but as far as the filmed models are concerned one vane was always missing, right from the very first episode.
astrocat is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #20
astrocat
Medical Technician

Bernie, one question I can think of straight away for Mike Trim is: What was the ribbed foil they used on UFO - on the UFOs themselves, and most noticeably all over his Russian Mining rig design.
It came in both gold and silver, and appears to be self adhesive. Can he remember any brand names, or who supplied it?

Keith
astrocat is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote