Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Hangar

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Default Eagle One, and its wonderful thruster effects!

Hey guys,

I am watching Space 1999 yet again (can one truly get enough?), when I saw Eagle One in all her glory firing off her thrusters.

I know that the 44' model was fitted with compressed air cans, which were channeded to either her bells ot votols, but has anyone actualy worked out or documented the system? What did they use to time the jets? Has anyone mocked up a system for there own models?

I find this very interesting cause even thought something like this would be done with CGI these days, I believe you cant beat a model, and real physics. Somethings the eye just knows instinctual.

Would love to recreate this on my own model... Could be very cool.

Got to love those practical effects.
Alpha's last child is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The air can valves were operated by solenoids that were energised by feeding power down the wires that held the model up. That's why there's insulating tape wrapped around the framework where the wires were frequently attached.

Jon has recreated this on his AB 44" model.

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...?t=2042&page=2
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #3
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Thats really neat...

Im not familiar with solenoids, i'll have to do some research. Are they still available, or are they considered old technology nowadays?
Old 29-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

A solenoid is an electromagnet. They are very much in use today and still available from companies like RS Components and Maplins. You'll find them in the door of any car with central locking. Similarly the air valves are still available from RS Components too.
Old 29-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Hot the sites mentioned, but the only solinoids I could find were WAY to big to fit in a pod. Any chance you can point me in the right direction, or at least show me a picture?

Come to think of it, are these the same solinoids that were used to move the puppets mouths in Thunderbirds or Captain Scarlett? These things sound very neat!

Old 29-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Not the exact same ones but from the same family. They vary in size and power consumption based on what job they have to do. Your best bet is talk to one of the suppliers. I'd recommend a small 12volt type that you can hook up to a nice fat car battery. Don't let the hanging wires touch together though. They'll probably melt and break after glowing red hot.

Unless there's a reason to copy exactly what was used, also consider a modern cheap radio control outfit to operate the valve.
Old 29-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

The four rear engines were fed through a maze of thin tubing ending in two pipes that connected to a single inlet in the top spine. That single large bore inlet would probably have been hooked up to an external tank-probably nitrogen-as the airbrush cans used on the vertical thrusters would not have the pressure.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

There was a suggestion that the air cans were only intended to blow up the dust on the pad when an Eagle was taking off or landing but laying the air cans sideways in the passenger pod had a plume of propellant appear. It may have been a happy accident effect that they subsequently later used deliberately. As Mark42 mentions, the propellant in airbrush propellant cans tends to condense out very quickly if it's piped through a tortuous route and it simply drips. There was supposed to be a small burst of thrust when Cellini separates his Eagle CM from the rest of the Eagle to dock with the Dragon Ship but if you watch the shot carefully, you can see a drop of liquid propellant run down the edge of the black window area (the shot was done with the set up at ninety degrees so down is to the left of screen).
Old 29-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
cricket
Medical Officer

Cool! Off she goes to pull out DD for a close look-see....
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
Big Rab
Forum Supporter

You can also see in the Dragons Domain episode, when Cellini takes off from the launch pad, leaving behind the Passenger pod with the long legs, the jet thrust is not coming out of the VTOLs but looks like the two mounting tubes on the bottom of the walkways.