SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 12-01-2006, 11:25 PM   #1
fireflashfive
Eagle Pilot

Default Pacific-Atlantic Monorail

Hello everyone,

One of my favourite 'guest' models in Thunderbirds was the Pacific Atlantic Monorail. It's long been on my list for a scratchbuild, but, despite DVD's and frame grabs, it's always been difficult to get a reasonably accurate plan done. Has anyone ever done one, or maybe got a copy of the cutaway drawing that appeared in the Thunderbirds comic?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug.
fireflashfive is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
spiffer
Computer Technician

Default Pacific-Atlantic Monorail / Transcontinental Rocket / Anderbad Express

It's nearly two years since Doug's post.
Since then there must be many new members, myself included. Perhaps someone has some photos or information on this subject.
I'm planning a scratch build of the monorail too.
I have started with a SolidWorks CAD model based almost completely on frame captures from the DVDs (Brink of Disaster and The Perils of Penelope). This is just to get the proportions right and to sort out the profiles.
I will post some notes on my research in the near future but any photos or info would be most helpful.
spiffer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 10:49 PM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

There's one or two nice photos in the annuals and a side profile on one of the Mini Albums which would be good for proportions. I loved the monorail too.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
fireflashfive
Eagle Pilot

HI Spiffer, love the avatar. The monotrain remains a model I want to make. In the interim, I found the issue of the Thunderbirds comic with the cutaway drawing by Graham Bleathman. My intention is to make one in 'OO' 1/76th scale. Good luck with your CAD design. I would really like to see the end result!

Doug.
fireflashfive is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:26 AM   #5
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Always thought the Pacific Atlantic Monorail (or Transcontinental Rocket as it was known in Perils of Penelope) was a brilliant concept - and the design looked fantastic on screen. I don't think there's one bad shot of it. The scenes of it at night crossing the girder bridge are just stunning - topped off by great sound effects.

The original miniature was actually built to run on curtain track - the FX team called it the curtain rail express. Here's a shot of the kind of set-up they created to film it -

Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2007, 01:31 AM   #6
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflashfive View Post
despite DVD's and frame grabs, it's always been difficult to get a reasonably accurate plan done.

One of the main problems with getting decent images of the monorail is because the darned thing's moving too fast ! I remember having real problems picking screeengrabs I could use for a comic strip adaptation.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #7
spiffer
Computer Technician

That's a great picture Air Terrainean. Thanks for posting it. I had not seen that one before. It gives some additional insight into the way the monorail was filmed.
Although I do have some pieces of the old brass curtain rail I do not have enough to make a decent monorail track.
A few weeks ago I bought 12 metres of plastic valance track from the local car boot sale. Itís only 12mm deep (the brass stuff is 16mm) but unless I can find something better thatís what Iíll use for the model.
I used the track depth to scale my CAD model.
Other than the DVD screen captures I have found only two other reference photos. One is the one of Derek Meddings and crew standing behind the derailed PAM from Brink of Disaster; the other is one I found on the internet (see below).

I am still working on the CAD model. I will post some views shortly.

Kevin
Old 05-12-2007, 11:42 PM   #8
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Look forward to seeing the results Spiffer. BTW, I'm pretty sure the curtain track they used was called Swish, which was new at the time, and was a flexible plastic material - easier for creating curved sections of monorail.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:10 AM   #9
spiffer
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
Look forward to seeing the results Spiffer. BTW, I'm pretty sure the curtain track they used was called Swish, which was new at the time, and was a flexible plastic material - easier for creating curved sections of monorail.

Thanks, that would explain why the track flexes so much.
Though I didnít think Swish track came out as long ago as that.
I donít think you can get the original Swish track any more.
The modern stuff is the wrong shape completely.

Hereís what Iíve done so far. This is the Anderbad Express version Ė very much work in progress.
(Click on thumbnails).

Notice how the lettering changes between the two shots.
On the profile shot the ghosting of an S is just visible at the extreme left hand edge where the lettering has been altered for the close up.

DX,

I have looked through all the annuals I can find but none of them contain any pictures of the monorail. Could you tell me which one I should look for please?

Kevin
Old 06-12-2007, 01:33 AM   #10
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Now you're asking. Mine are still boxed up from the house move last year. It may be a TV21 Annual. It's been so long since I looked at them. I've a feeling it's that picture you've already found on the net. If you look at the top left corner of the image, the story title has been removed.

BTW, if you look at your third thumbnail image, the second coach is still in PAM colour scheme.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #11
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

The best shot in any of the annuals is on page 66 of the Thunderbirds 1967 annual - title page for the Bridge of Fear story. DX is right - it is the one above, which has had the title removed, but it seems much sharper in the annual.

Regarding the Swish curtain track - I'm sure someone told that this what they used, and it was pretty new at the time. I think it dates back to that period.

I might have a still of the Anderbad station somewhere. Will see if I can post it.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #12
Dave
Communications Officer

Yes, the shot in the 1967 Thunderbirds annual is a good one.

Another difference in it (from the one above) is that it shows the end of the canvas sky backing!

I've seen that behind the scenes shot before, but I just can't remember where...

Here's the one from Meddings' book that I found on the 'tinternet.

Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:57 PM   #13
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

There was also a shot in Starbust issue 9 (back in 1979, IIRC) which showed the full depth of the set including the bottoms of the trestle and a tin of 'Trimite' paint
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #14
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Here's a shot of the Anderbad staion -

It was built on the baseboard that was previously used for the North African atomic plant in The Mighty Atom.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #15
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

And here's another extremely rare shot. It's a film frame from a test sequence to show how the night lighting would look.

Some points to notice - The rail supports are completely different to those used in the earlier Pacific Atlantic shot, and the train's runners have a striped band around them on the Transcontinental Rocket, while the Pacific Atlantic's have a brass type beading on the leading edge.

I have also been able to identify some of the detailing on the front of the train - The lower grille, the backing for the upper grille, and the bar above the front screen are all parts from the chrome plated custom-competition grilles and bumber set 3005 by AMT. This also supplied the detailing for the heads of the robots in Thirty Minutes After Noon, and for a gun used by Lady Penelope on the cover of one of her comics.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #16
Guest01
Alphan

[quote=Air Terrainean;44405]The best shot in any of the annuals is on page 66 of the Thunderbirds 1967 annual - title page for the Bridge of Fear story. DX is right - it is the one above, which has had the title removed, but it seems much sharper in the annual.

Regarding the Swish curtain track - I'm sure someone told that this what they used, and it was pretty new at the time. I think it dates back to that period.

swish solo-glide(or glyde?) i hm hm used to hang curtains a while back as part of my job,thats what used and it is quite flexi and at the time im almost positive you could and can get it in various sizes up to at least 4meteres.looking at one of the pics its almost identicle to the sologlide its just been turned round with the flat face to the back if you comprehend?Any way good luck guys in building one,i also look forward to seeing the finished model/s
Guest01 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:11 PM   #17
Century21Slough
Astrophysics Technician

Nice night shot AT.
Century21Slough is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #18
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Thanks C21. Appreciate your appreciation.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:13 PM   #19
spiffer
Computer Technician

Default Monorail research.

First of all, thank you to Air Terrainean for posting the excellent photographs and for the additional information.

Here are some notes that I have been making over the last few days.
Some of the points have been covered in other posts (notably by AT and DX) but if I keep trying to bring this up to date I’ll never get round to posting it.

MONORAIL RESEARCH.

There were three versions of the monorail in Thunderbirds.

1. Pacific –Atlantic Monorail.
Blue/Silver with locomotive unit, 3 passenger carriages, and tail car.
Two carriages had 3 sloping (parallelogram) windows on each side. The third carriage (buffet car?) had rectangular windows, again 3 per side.
The rail hangers had a 'barley twist' detail - possibly a kit part - vertically down the leading edge.
The Loco unit had two sloping windows towards the rear, which matched those in the passenger carriages.
There was a sunken roundel between the driver’s cab side window and the ‘passenger’ windows and a nameplate between this and the cab window. The nameplate may have been a kit part but I don’t recognize it.
Other possible kit parts were:
The large ‘badge’ or emblem below the windscreen – could this be a model car radiator grille with additional detailing?
The small delta shaped object directly below the cab side window – looks like some sort of aerodynamic exhaust outlet.
The lamp bar above the windscreen and an additional grille on the lower nose.

2. Transcontinental Rocket.
This was basically the Pacific Atlantic Monorail with only minor alterations and additional carriages.
The Blue/Silver colour scheme was retained on the locomotive unit, 5 passenger carriages, and tail car.
The Buffet carriage was sign written 'Transcontinental Rocket.'
The rail hangers had a lost the 'barley twist' and now had a panel detail - possibly masking or insulating tape - wrapped around the leading edge.
The lower nose grille now had ‘cow catcher’ bars on either side – must have been for very tall cows!
With the new sign writing, these appear to have been the only differences between the PAM and TR Loco units.

3. Anderbad Express.
This monotrain was the same as Transcontinental Rocket but with a White/Dark Blue/Red locomotive unit. This was sign written 'Anderbad Express' in two configurations: the first with the lettering approximately half way along the side of the unit; the second with the lettering positioned further forward, probably to bring it into view for the close-up profile shot of the train in the Anderbad tunnel.
There were several differences between the PAM/TR and AE loco units:
The AE loco had three slanted side ‘passenger’ windows on the rear section. These appear to have been a little shorter than those in the passenger carriages and PAM/TR loco.
The front windscreen was positioned lower and the high-level lamp bar was omitted.
The cab side windows and main headlamp units were repositioned.
The profile of the front section was changed slightly, being slightly less rounded, and the underside air scoop was positioned much further forward. The scoop may have been narrower in cross section but this is not very clear on the views that I have available.
The lower nose grille/cowcatcher was omitted from the AE loco, as were the aerodynamic exhaust outlets.
Two underside marker lamps were added to this unit in line with the rear edge of the air scoop.
The sunken roundel on the AE loco may have been transparent or translucent as light appeared to be emitted from it in the tunnel shots, though this can also be seen in the tunnel shots of the TR Loco.
The buffet car on the Anderbad Express was the one from the Transcontinental Rocket with a printed Anderbad Express sign stuck over the 'Transcontinental Rocket' lettering.

All comments/criticisms will be greatfully received.

Kevin
Old 19-12-2007, 10:46 PM   #20
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Just a quick follow up to Spiffer's recent monorail research post. As far as I can gather the effects for Perils of Penelope were shot before Brink of Disaster - therefore the PA monorail is an adaptation of the Transcontinental Rocket. Otherwise very impressive research. Look forward to seeing the project progress.