SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 01-03-2008, 02:31 AM   #1
Silverleaf
Travel Tube Technician

Default Request: Blueprints/Plans

Greetings,

I had placed a bid on a set of Gerry Anderson Blueprints (volume 1&2) on eBay and while I was at work, I lost out by a measly 2 bucks (yeah it hurts). In case your not familiar with these, heres the Item number: 260214341768.

Perhaps this is a taboo subject, perhaps its one that has been broached here before - if the latter I've not found a relevant thread and I'll apologize in advance if it falls under the "don't ask" moniker and will kindly ask the mods to remove this thread.

So, this falls under the Request for help category because I've exhausted all known online sources. What I'm searching for is a simple copy of plans or blueprints for the following ships/vehicles if possible.

The Mole
Fireflash
Fireball XL5
Sky 1
SkyDiver
Helijet
Moonbase Interceptor
Spectrum Passenger Jet
Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle

On my end I have the following and am willing to make copies:

Thunderbird 1
Thunderbird 3
Thunderbird 5
Zero X

Cheers,
Silverleaf is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:21 AM   #2
Spacecraft Guy
Weapons Technician

Try here for Fireball XL-5 Blueprints -

http://www.supermarionation.tv/xl5/xl5.html

If it's possible, could you post the Thunderbirds blueprints you have?

The blueprints I have are from several different sources I'm trying to reconcile them.

Thanks!
Spacecraft Guy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:26 AM   #3
Spacecraft Guy
Weapons Technician

UFO Blueprints are here -

http://ufoseries.com/blueprints/index.html
Old 01-03-2008, 03:32 AM   #4
Spacecraft Guy
Weapons Technician

Captain Scarlet craft here - Cutaway of SPV, not blueprint, but may be of use.

http://www.spectrum-headquarters.com/spv_blueprint.html
Old 01-03-2008, 03:43 AM   #5
Spacecraft Guy
Weapons Technician

Just went back and looked at the Supermarionation site again - they have a SPV blueprint.

http://www.supermarionation.tv/scarlet/spv.html

Old 01-03-2008, 05:38 AM   #6
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I haven't been to the Supermarionation site for donkeys. A lot has happened. Good find.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:45 AM   #7
Silverleaf
Travel Tube Technician

Space,

Many thanks for the links.

What I have is the drawings of TB1, 3 and 5 from the Spaceship Handbook - drawn by Jon Rogers circa 1999. I also have the Tom Beach drawings - which appear in the back of the same book - though these are created for the rocketry builder more so - given they have specific tube sizes, types of balsa and dimensional breakdowns for modeling fins and the like.

Since I'm not able to post attachments yet - not sure when I'll be allowed to do so, I can send you a zipped archive of same if you need them.

Cheers,
Old 01-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Most of those drawings came from Phil Rae or the various more modern Japanese books on the subject. Most of them are line drawings interpretations of the profile photos that were taken at the time which can be found online. I prefer to work from the photos and print them up at the size you want your finished model because the problem with most drawings is there's either errors crept in depending on the fastidiousness of the draughtsman or they're an almagam of more than one model. Just a thought.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #9
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

That's what Martin Bower does too. He takes slides (or did) and blew the pictures up until he could recognise parts from kits in the right sizes. He mentions it here in his SPV build

http://www.martinbowersmodelworld.com/html/spv.html

DX do you use a computer programme to get your pictures to the size you want?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Yes, Adobe Photoshop but most image editing software will allow you to resize stuff. The only thing to watch is that some printers can distort the image in one direction. You can check this by including a couple of rulers set at ninety degrees to each other with the photo at the time you scan it. Again Photoshop will allow you to resize something in one direction to compensate.

Something else it will let you do, which I find myself making more and more use of, is lay one image over another and make the top one semi transparent so the bottom one shows through. Put a photo of your WIP over a shot of the original and it can highlight where adjustments need making. It's a great way to check if kit parts are placed in the right place or to check contours generally. Obviously you need to match size and camera taking position fairly closely but it's a useful tool and often picks up those things the eye misses.

Last edited by DX-SFX; 01-03-2008 at 11:17 AM.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #11
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Very helpful, thanks
Old 01-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #12
Silverleaf
Travel Tube Technician

Just got Photobucket set up, so you'll find a copy of my colorized versions of TB1 and 3 here:

http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/j...ilverleaf1982/

As well, I'm currently working on updated versions of some basic plans so that dimensions can be added when I have them available, I'll post my results here.

Finally, even though none of these ships exist in the real world, if anyone has information on "proposed movie length" of any of these models, it would make drawing them accurately much easier.

For instance, if the size of the Mole from tip to stern was supposed to be approximately 12 feet in the series, I can resize the drawings to that length and that would give all other dimensions the proper size. Then simply add a scale i.e., 1/25th and voila.

Cheers,
Old 01-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #13
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
For instance, if the size of the Mole from tip to stern was supposed to be approximately 12 feet
That can't be right. They wouldn't be able to stand up in it.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #14
Silverleaf
Travel Tube Technician

Lol, that was just an example...
Old 02-03-2008, 12:07 AM   #15
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

A very small example... Its the mole they use to dig stump post holes

Old 02-03-2008, 11:37 PM   #16
zipface
Alphan

Default blueprints from UFO and 1999, info needed!

Hi, I'm trying to come up with "good" plans for the UFO ships, the best that may be possible might be to generalize the UFO shape, that spins in flight, around a small round "manned compartment" in its bottom, that does NOT spin, and carries the crew, etc. This would be like the one in an episode, where the little round capsule was an "escape pod" from the UFO.

Also, I'm interested in the Eagle Ships, but, the Pilot's Windows do NOT "line up" with those very LOW positioned seats, it seems they got the seat placement from the "spaceplane" in 2001, that's the ship that docks with the space station, in that one the seats are "low-set" with a "raised" aisle in the middle, just EXACTLY like the Eagles, except that the Pilot's Cabin has PROPER seat placement!
zipface is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:49 PM   #17
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Welcome zipface to the forum. Lots of discussions here about these issues.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:49 AM   #18
Spacecraft Guy
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverleaf View Post
Just got Photobucket set up, so you'll find a copy of my colorized versions of TB1 and 3 here:

http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/j...ilverleaf1982/

As well, I'm currently working on updated versions of some basic plans so that dimensions can be added when I have them available, I'll post my results here.

Finally, even though none of these ships exist in the real world, if anyone has information on "proposed movie length" of any of these models, it would make drawing them accurately much easier.

For instance, if the size of the Mole from tip to stern was supposed to be approximately 12 feet in the series, I can resize the drawings to that length and that would give all other dimensions the proper size. Then simply add a scale i.e., 1/25th and voila.

Cheers,

Thanks for the post of the blueprints! The TB-3 from the Rogers book is online, but as a sample page with wrong callouts for the dimensions and the colors.

As far as I know, the only craft that had a size specifiically mentioned on screen was
TB-3, at 287 feet high.

DX-SFX was right about the blueprints that I currently have - gotten from several Japanese books, the best of which has dimentioned blueprints of all the Thunderbird craft, with TB-2 and TB-5 having multiple blueprints of different variations that had to have been interpreted from profile photos. I also use the photo overlay technique.

This has been a very interesting thread.
Old 13-03-2008, 08:41 AM   #19
Silverleaf
Travel Tube Technician

In my excitement I forgot to reply to all of the great help and ideas. I've used the overlay technique in the past and am really glad it was mentioned again, since I totally forgot about it. Thanks!

I've been very busy with projects for my animation degree so I've not been able to get much work done on some of the updated drawings, although I've finished 3 views of the Helijet with just the "top" view left to complete. Will have to fine tune the final drawings since the top and bottom views are slightly off kilter and don't match, but so far they look good.

Space,

Glad I was able to help.

Thanks again,
Old 13-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #20
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The TB1 plans from the Japanese books leave a lot to be desired. The forward/upper fuselage isn't bigger in diameter than the rest of it. If you want a plan, you can't beat the TV end title profile shot.