Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Launch Crater

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 05-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Default Micro Detail - Am I being ridiculous??

I chose to post this away from my normal TB2 build thread as I wanted it to get to a wider audience!

I was working on the Pod again today. It's at 1:200 scale. The supplied kit Pod had zero detail and I know I need to add it to make it look authentic..but how far do I go?

I was trying to replicate this part below this morning...I need 4 of them!

Problem is at 1:200 scale this makes them TINY. I made one so far. Its a 3mm square of styrene with a 1 mm square of styrene stuck to it with the tiniest drop of superglue I could create! The large tubular thing next to it is a Pen!

I managed to finish it but it was a ridiculously fiddly job! Just as I'd finished I sneezed (!) and the part blew of the desk and onto the floor. It was so tiny I just couldn't spot it anywhere amongst the dust and crisp crums etc. I had to search this dustpile with a pair of tweezers to locate it again...it took me twenty minutes

Right now I think I need someone to slap me on the head and tell me not to be so stupid and to leave these parts off the model...but they form such an important part of the Pod detail I don't really want to do so.

So tell me...am I being ridiculous or should I stick to my guns and create another 3? The first one took a good 30 minutes as it was so damn fiddly even to cut out the squares never mind trying to arrange the 1mm square on top of the 3mm one and keep it all lined up!

Slate
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Another handy tip, if you ever lose a tiny part or etch brass piece in carpet, put a piece of nylon stocking over the end of a vacuum cleaner and hoover the carpet. Any tiny bits will be rescued by the stocking material.

As for tiny detail, it's why I like to build big models and save myself this bother. The guys who superdetail 1/72nd scale aircraft are very good but think how much more detail you could get into it's 1/24th scale equivalent! I'm obviously biased to looking at it from just one way but I believe the camera is the best judge at seeing if all the details are "scale" regardless of the model's size.

Making one and moulding it seems to be the best option to get four the same. For this sort of size you can press your master into plastercine that's been dusted over with graphite powder and cast the bits in epoxy.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
HUNCH
Communications Officer

If I were you I would mold that piece to make duplicates. It's coming along nice by the way.
James
HUNCH is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
mack29
Astrophysics Technician

At that scale I'd just cut out 4 squares of styrene and not worry about trying to get anymore detailed
mack29 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Just go ahead and finish it. The molding in epoxy is a good idea. The pain is the ridges. Sadly I have to make a few of these for the TB1 hangar in the same scale. However you do it they need to be there because 1:200 is still big enough when it comes to TB2 for their absence to be noticed. Sux but get to it
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 12:13 AM   #6
telster
Medical Technician

but if you're being ridiculous so would most of us here - now I ask you, is that likely?
telster is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #7
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by telster View Post
but if you're being ridiculous so would most of us here - now I ask you, is that likely?
Thanks for your support guys! The plastacine tip is a great one...I didn't know that. As it happens It took me about 45 minutes to make another 3.
The ribs will be impossible I'm afraid...my eye-site just isn't that good! I'm going to try and fake them somehow though...

Slate
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote