Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Another Time, Another Place - Classic British Film and Television Discussions

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 23-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Default Children Of The Stones

Does anyone remeber this 7 part series on ITV from the late 70's ? About a village in the grip of some ancient force, and a link with some standing stones ? It was really scary but good ! I think it was filmed in Avebury. I bought the DVD some months ago and watched it again recently. Its stars a pre-Blake Gareth Thomas as the the man who comes to the village and gets caught up in the weirdness.

Intro to the first epsiode ... - awesome theme tune !
Dorzac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

Happy Day!!! Definitely spooky ! That painting on the wall was really weird and the keystone to the plot ! I went to Aylesbury one foggy morning some years ago and wandered around the stones. It was haunting.And then the sun came out and it was quite pleasant. Strange you should mention this one. I hadn't thought about it for ages but I've been watching John Mills in Quatermass recently and that used a suspiously similar plot. I'd forgotten about it until you mentioned it! Also there used to be a coulpe of really spooky Itv series, one for kids called Shadows I think where in one episode a tree attacked a kid in a house with his future self in there and one for adults where rats attacked a couple in a house in the country. You never saw a damn thing but I can still remember a skull on a car ignition keyring swinging gently from side to side whilst the viewer heard the screaming of a couple being eatten alive to this day. Of course they'd CGI today and you'd forget about it after a strong cup of tea!!
Known Space is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 12:23 AM   #3
Big Rab
Forum Supporter

I remember it, wasn't it some sort of anti tech drama? NO that was something else, what was that called??? "the long way home". "the long chase"????????????
God am i getting old or what?

One thing is sure, I did have a fancy for the girl with the long hair (no change there) when i was a plookie teenager (Was she in "into infinity"???)
Old 24-03-2008, 01:30 AM   #4
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Known Space View Post
I've been watching John Mills in Quatermass recently and that used a suspiously similar plot.
Great bit of '70s dystopian SF. I can still hear that bloody 'Ringstone Round' song...!
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 01:56 AM   #5
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rab View Post
I remember it, wasn't it some sort of anti tech drama? NO that was something else, what was that called??? "the long way home". "the long chase"????????????
God am i getting old or what?
That might be a reference to another series i vaguely remembered from the 70's. All i could remember was the end where some children found this underground rock which had magical powers and was connected to Merlin (of Arthurian fame). It bugged me for ages til I chanced upon a description on another MB of a show called The Changes, has a plot involving people rebelling against technology and smashing up machines. I watched the clip on YouTube, and when i saw the rock pic towards the end i knew it was the series i was thinking of. Perhaps its your memory too !?

Old 24-03-2008, 06:09 AM   #6
Senmut
Eagle Pilot

Yup. Remember it well. It was Nickelodeon, over here. Be cool if it were on again.

"Complete the circle!!!"
Senmut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzac View Post
That might be a reference to another series i vaguely remembered from the 70's. All i could remember was the end where some children found this underground rock which had magical powers and was connected to Merlin (of Arthurian fame). It bugged me for ages til I chanced upon a description on another MB of a show called The Changes, has a plot involving people rebelling against technology and smashing up machines. I watched the clip on YouTube, and when i saw the rock pic towards the end i knew it was the series i was thinking of. Perhaps its your memory too !?
Yep, Definitely 'The Changes', based on the children's book 'the Weathermonger'. If memory serves, the stone was the last resting place of Merlin the magician, whose awakening ttriggered off the uprising. I remember that Sikhs were immune to the effect
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
Howard
Deputy Commander

Yes I remember it - used to put the ^&*( up me!
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
Baggers0046
Medical Technician

I wasn't allowed to watch it as it scared my younger sisters. Really spooky music I seem to recall.
Baggers0046 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:46 AM   #10
Senmut
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers0046 View Post
I wasn't allowed to watch it as it scared my younger sisters. Really spooky music I seem to recall.
And for the obviously bare-bones budget, pretty good FX.
Senmut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #11
Stu73
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kane View Post
Great bit of '70s dystopian SF. I can still hear that bloody 'Ringstone Round' song...!
As a fan of the boffin, I actually found this extremely depressing. Quatermass did NOT die in an atomic exoplosion!! It's Government propaganda!!!!
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #12
Baggers0046
Medical Technician

Hey Stu they repeated Quatermass on ITV 4 recently did you see it? I last saw it originally and i have to say it has stood the test of time. Really good stuff.
Baggers0046 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:15 AM   #13
Doomsday
Communications Officer

As a youngster, Children of The Stones scared the bejesus out of me.
It was bloody brilliant!!

Last edited by Doomsday; 07-06-2008 at 01:16 AM. Reason: thingy didn't work right
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #14
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
As a youngster, Children of The Stones scared the bejesus out of me.
It was bloody brilliant!!
It still works after all this time

A Good Story
An intelligent, well-written script which didn't talk down to the intended audience
Good Actors who took their roles seriously
Good use of sound and camera
Interesting locations that are genuinely mysterious

Put them together: A series that worked and still works after 30 years
Old 05-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #15
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_D View Post
.... and 'The Changes'?
I think you missed an earlier post in this thread ...

Old 06-12-2008, 06:48 AM   #16
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

On a similar theme, an image that's stuck with me for decades is from, an ITV childrens show, of a girl who creates anything she draws in a book.
There's some sort of drama and a bunch folk need to leave the house in a hurry but, as they go, they see she's drawn eyes on the standing stones outside.
Someone opens the curtains, there's the stones. And slowly eyes open.
It creeped me right out and still does now as i type.
Would love to see it again, if only to show i've built it up into something worse after all this time.
Any clues?
MangaMax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #17
timpollard
Hydroponics Technician

I've just managed to get my hands on a copy of another 'kids' classic, 'Knights of God' - Patrick Troughton, Gareth Thomas, John Woodvine in a very bleak religious fascist future. Top stuff.
timpollard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #18
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Nickelodeon network in the early 1980s on cable in the US aired a lot of those creepy programs as part of their "Third Eye" anthology series. Children of the Stones was one I watched and I also remember the cave one (it was called "Into the Labyrinth" series 1) as well. There was also one from New Zealand called "Under the Mountain" which involved an alien recruiting twins to battle aliens from a mud world in the volcanoes of New Zealand. All of the shows were creepy in their own way and I'm glad they were shown at the time.

When I visted the UK in 2003 I passed close to Aylesbury on my way to Yeovilton, but didn't pass through the town due to an error in navigation and given that I was behind schedule as it was (it was my first full day of driving in the UK, so I was still getting used to the roads there). I did want to check out the place since Children of the Stones did leave an impact on my psyche as a child and I was curious to see that town in real life. When I returned to the UK in 2004, I was staying too far north to make the trip south to that region, so I am saving that experience for a future visit. Of course, I suppose I'll have to pass by Stonehenge as well, playing Spinal Tap on the CD player while I'm doing it.
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:00 PM   #19
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Well worth a visit. Its a got a strange, otherworldy atmosphere to the place, helped by the absence of crass cashing on.
MangaMax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:15 PM   #20
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

On the subject of Children's fiction, can anyone identify a book for me?

I remember reading it when I was about 10 or 11 so it's going to be at least 40 years old. The plot, what I remember of it concerned two RAF pilots, Johnny Wild and Danny Black, during WW2 who are shot down and land on a small island. The end up falling through a sandy pit into a fantastic Underworld where they overthrow a dictator and manage to build a plane from a monotrain (called a Waggon) which they use to escape.

The story was written in an unusual style; in that each chapter was told from the viewpoint of one of the two men.

I remember enjoying it but I cannot remember what it was called.

Can anyone help?