Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Hangar

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Default How long does it take for an Eagle to get to the moon?

Hey guys...

I was thinking about this today, and thought I'd ask it here....

How long does it take for an Eagle to get from the Earth to Moonbase Alpha? (Pre Breakaway!)

Given that the Apollo missions took around three days, I was curious as to what the timeframe may have been? Has anyone run the numbers?
Alpha's last child is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
EAGLEMAGNET
Eagle Pilot

Is that before it left earths orbit or after

I remember reading somwhere an eagles max speed is 15% of light speed , i am no mathemetition but i would think it would take aprox 30 mins from lift off to landing.

Even faster with spine boosters!
EAGLEMAGNET is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Its generally assumed that we're talking hours rather than days. There's an interesting discussion in this thread (The Eagle, what a crap design) about take off and re-entry and the eagle. Starts about page two. The whole thing is interesting actually

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=1968
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

That's another impossible question to answer. Without knowing the mass of the spacecraft or the amount of energy available to it to turn into movement. The impression is hours. The Apollo missions were calculated around low fuel consumption as they carried just enough to do the job.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

You'd think there would be a ball park figure in a Writers guide or something...
I cant see an Eagle taking three days to go from the earth to the moon in the series.

If it was like 15 hours, it would be an understandable figure..
Alpha's last child is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-03-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

There are two basic options. You fire the engines continuously meaning that it's constantly accelerating, turn around half way to then decelerate. This would be quickest but very fuel thirsty. Or, fire the engines and then cruise with them off before repeating the turnaround process. This will take longer but use less fuel.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #7
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

That would be rather strange... doing the turn around thing. Interestingly it never shows such an important reduction of speed in the series, but as has been pointed out, the eagle can also fly like a fighter plane in space, and doesn't drop like a brick in the atmosphere.... like the Vogon constructor fleet hanging in the sky like bricks don't
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
Name changed by request
Exile

Depends on how long Terminal 5 get their act together with the baggage system!
Name changed by request is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #9
Terry35
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Price View Post
Depends on how long Terminal 5 get their act together with the baggage system!
Tut...Tut...Tut....nice one, kick them while they are down.
I've been reading this and heres my two cents.
In Break Away, I got the impression that with a stewardess on board, offering coffee, and Commander Koenig not looking too tired, maybe the same time as a modern trans-atlantic flight(Not Concorde), about 6 to 7 hours. We are never told where on Earth the Eagles launch from but can be sure that it's not a big film studio (secret Like UFO).
Maybe Military bases or major Civil Hubs. Not terminal 5.

I must now go and muse over my thoughts.

Regards,

Terry.
Terry35 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
cmdrkoenig67
Eagle Pilot

It took only a few hours to get to some of the planets the moon flew past, so I would imagine it would only take hours (as opposed to days) to get to the Moon from the Earth.

Dana
cmdrkoenig67 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 15-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #11
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLEMAGNET View Post
Is that before it left earths orbit or after

I remember reading somwhere an eagles max speed is 15% of light speed , i am no mathemetition but i would think it would take aprox 30 mins from lift off to landing.

Even faster with spine boosters!
is it me or would the spine boosters make the eagle go round in circles when thrusting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #12
cmdrkoenig67
Eagle Pilot

Loop the loops?
cmdrkoenig67 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 03:55 AM   #13
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKVIEW View Post
is it me or would the spine boosters make the eagle go round in circles when thrusting
It's just you. Actually, check out that whole thread as I posted a LOT of my theories on Eagle travel there. It begins on page 2, but I think page 4 is where the discussion of reentry profiles and orbital mechanics begins. There is even a discussion about the spine booster a couple pages later.
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #14
dougkeenan
Weapons Technician

At constant 1G (half accelerating, then half braking) it takes about four hours from Earth to Alpha. It's not all about the acceleration though, when trying to set a speed record an annoying amount of time is spent creeping in for a safe landing. Doesn't help to get Simmonds or Koenig there quickly if all you leave is a stain on a lunar hillside!

And I second the recommendation from the other thread to try the Orbiter simulator if one is at all interested in piloting an Eagle.
dougkeenan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #15
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

Default fire!!!

off the sub a tad but.... wheres the guns on the eagles head where it fires a double shot as l recall

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #16
Hawk
Communications Officer

When you factor in the time frames that have been given in the series for Operation Exodus to take place -- assuming the Moon isn't passing closer to those planets than its orbits about the Earth (which would be a DISASTER for that planet) -- then the answer HAS to be measured in hours and not days.
Hawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote