Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 30-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
Baggers0046
Medical Technician

Default Metallic paint

Hello all. I paint a lot of Citadel/ games workshop figures, and though I really like Citadel paints I find that I am never satisfied with some of the metallic (especially gold) colours. Can anybody suggest a really good brand of metallic paints that they may have used? many thanks.
Baggers0046 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
mack29
Astrophysics Technician

If you want to keep to acrylic you could try Liquitex or Vallejo, although I must admit I've been quite happy with the GW metallics. Otherwise you're into enamels and lacquers of which I don't have a lot of experience.
mack29 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
doon
Communications Officer

I like the citadels as well, but use Humbrol from time to time for the metalics. They are enamels, but give a great effect
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 12:05 AM   #4
USS Atlantis
Waste Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by doon View Post
I like the citadels as well, but use Humbrol from time to time for the metalics. They are enamels, but give a great effect
For any of my metallic work, I also stick with Humbrol

Though it's getting harder and harder to find 'this side of the pond'

Atlantis - stuck in 'The Colonies'
USS Atlantis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 12:12 AM   #5
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I'd go with Humbrol too. Don't put lacquer paints on top of what you've got though. Unless everything you've painted is painted with lacquer paints already, you'll pickle and wrinkle the existing paint.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 31-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Humbrol used to have those metal coat paints which could be polished. They gave a very nice finish. Do they still exist?
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Baggers0046, I too paint loads of Citadel Miniatures and have the full range of GW paints an Inks to paint them. However I also use other brands as well, Vallejo as mentioned, also Humbrol and Tamiya, but I will mention two other brands to keep an eye out for, these are:

Miniature Paints, a good range their metallics are good especially the Golds, good value at 99p per pot, although the reds and yellows tend to be a bit washy and thin on pigment.

Inscribe, a good range all round and the Silver is the brightest acrylic metallic I have seen, again good value as the basic range of colours are 99p, with the metallic range around 1.75, however the pots are quite large so these are very good value for the price. I use this range for all large scale terrain projects because it is a good range and is very good value for money.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

In my projects to date, I've only used gold or silver paint on very small areas. I've therefore obtained good results from fine-point 'Zig Painty' pens. I bought mine in a 'scrapbook & ribbons' shop rather than a model shop.

Humbrol 'Metalcote' is still around and I've just used the 'Gunmetal' colour on a model. I found it annoyingly 'flaky', even after prolonged stirring, but with care I was able to polish it up to a good finish.
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
Baggers0046
Medical Technician

Thanks guys! Picked up a really good tip in white dwarf which involves mixing the metallics with other colours to use as base coats then highlighting and drybrushing in the top colour. Tried it out and it works really well. I think the metallics are a little thick and the other colours thin them a bit! Just painted one of the figures over the weekend that came out great! Space marine master of the fleet. Will post some pics! Than ks guys will have a crack at using some of the other brands.
Baggers0046 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote