SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 03-04-2008, 12:36 AM   #1
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Default 'Sub-Smash' (Warning: spoilers)

Having just watched this again, I offer some observations and questions:

1. The search & rescue plot elements have the ring of authenticity, notably the references to escape training, the buoy with radio beacon & dye and the line 'initiate SUBSMASH procedures'. 'SUBSMASH' sounds very close to the real-world terms 'SUBMISS' and 'SUBSUNK'. Good research, or was someone with real-world naval experience involved in the production?

2. I hope Straker developed claustrophobia after he retired from active duty as an astronaut. Then again, we've seen him travel in spacecraft, visit Moonbase and perform an EVA without obvious ill effects; is his claustrophobia just an Earthbound thing?

3. In this episode the Skydiver set is tilted to indicate the sub is not on an even keel. Why isn't the set tilted when the whole sub elevates to 45 degrees or so to launch Sky 1 during 'normal' operations?

(Because it would have been overly expensive & difficult to film, and make actors & viewers alike feel sick? OK, forget this one.)

4. Lt Lewis seems like a good bloke - a shame he isn't in the series more.

5. Dolores Mantez looks foxy out of the Moonbase costume (see also: 'Confetti Check A-OK')!
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:47 AM   #2
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I love the way she pulls off the scenes while stuck in the tube, she looks like she's pooing herself. Really well done. The only thing about this ep is the way it finishes... just way too quick and no "real" solution offered... just a sort of "its A good thing I put the sub floating device in the bat utility belt Robin or we'd still be down there...."
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:04 AM   #3
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

According to the Chris Bentley book, the poor woman really did start to feel claustrophobic - no acting necessary!
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote