Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Control Room

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #21
paul gray
Forum Supporter

definately a garden hose attachment . the b58 kit is the aurora 5/32 scale. enjoying the threads you have started Mike. always enjoy these type of threads trying to work out where bits have come from
cheers Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #22
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

thanks Paul,

now that people have pointed certain things out to me, Im seeing them all over, and one thing may give a clue to what another thing is, I keep seeing vollmer refinery parts and the railings from it, and the atlas rocket and parts from its base.

I cant believe I havent found out what this ladder is from yet tho, Im fed up searching for toy fire engines

I dont wanna start any projects till ive got the bits

still need to find out

trailers, wheels, square water jet container thingys, ladders and bulbs

I read on the tvcentury21 site that the yellow engine appeared in Captain scarlet episode seek and destroy, wonder if this is a blink and you miss it moments, or whether its worth looking at? I havent got that on DVD yet, anyone know?

some more pics of the red engines which I plan to recreate, in the episode 30 minutes after noon, the bulbs have been changed from red to blue, but in the last episode of the series security hazard they are red, I wonder weather in fact the footage from security hazard was in fact early test footage as the red tractorcat appears in that shot also and that was later destroyed?
and because in alias mr hackenbacker they are blue again

I think the round part on the trailer with the ladder, that I originally thought was a chrome bulb surround, could be part of the airfix srn1 hovercraft? another rare kit

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #23
Dave
Communications Officer

We use connectors at work which go onto the end of cables. They look pretty much like those garden hose type thingies in the picture. I'll try and post a picture of one if I can find the same type.
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #24
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

thanks Dave,

really appreciate all the help and advice everyones giving, and hope I can help others with what they need help with

I also meant to post these screengrabs of the engines in The mighty atom episode

cheers

Mike
Old 14-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #25
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

after quite a bit of searching the net and ebay for 1960s radio controlled aeroplane wheels and tyres, I think I may have found the wheels and tyres for the yellow engine,

from a company called Great planes,which as far as I can tell where available back in the 60s and I think theyre still made now.

there was another company I found called du bro, but checking theres I dont think it was Du bro wheels.

now trouble is they make so many different sizes, and I cant quite gauge what size they where on the model, theres a good shot next to the atlas rocket if that gives the scale away,I havent got a atlas to check, anyone got any ideas?

they do them in sizes

GPMQ4220 1-3/4" (45 mm) 1 pair
GPMQ4221 2" (51 mm) 1 pair
GPMQ4222 2-1/4" (57 mm) 1 pair
GPMQ4223 2-1/2" (64 mm) 1 pair
GPMQ4224 2-3/4" (70 mm) 1 pair
GPMQ4225 3" (76 mm) 1 pair
GPMQ4226 3-1/4" (83 mm) 1 pair

and Ive only seen them available with treaded tyres so far, the ones on the model appear totally slick, and people put crappy little pictures on ebay

Mike

Old 14-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #26
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

I was reading Martin Bowers site about the elevator cars, and he mentioned AMT did a fire truck,

quick search and there readily availble and cheap, I thought I had found the ladder I was after Its the closest Ive come so far,

Ive always assumed the ladder and swivel unit with cog on the studio model was from one model or toy, maybe they are from seperate things?

Old 14-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #27
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

The inner ladder extension looks like it could be a good match for the ladders in the screen-grabs. Wonder if the chrome pieces were used anywhere ?

Referring back to the firetruck lights and the episode filming order - good point about the lights changing colour - that's very observant ! Have seen some shots of the IR Firetruck with models from Joe90 era in the ITC archives which suggest that the Security Hazard sequences were the last time this vehicle was used on screen, although I believe Security Hazard may not have been the last first season episode filmed. Why they'd change the flashing lights though is a bit of a mystery.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #28
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Here's a BW shot that might show some more detail. A Ripmax (?) spotlight on the cab by the look of it,
Old 14-04-2008, 06:41 PM   #29
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

thats an amazing shot, it shows things Ive never seen before, thats a lot clearer than the screengrabs

it shows 2 wheels on the ladder base, Never seen that side before, so that could give a clue to what was used, I definatley think thats from a toy, ie you turn the wheel and it moves up or down, could be from a toy rocket launcher or toy fire engine, its got a diecast look to it.

never noticed the spot light before too (although I have seen them in Thunderbirds before) and what appears to be a airfix signal gantry part behind it,

I need some better quality pics of the amt fire engine parts to be quite sure on the ladder, I hope it is that.

a big thank you for that picture

with regard the tractorcat in joe90, never knew that, havent seen joe90 since it was shown in the 1990s, it wasnt really one of my favourites but I am becoming more interested in it now because of the impressive models Im seeing on the net and in books, so will have to check that out.

I know big film studios usually make 2 or more miniatures, so maybe there was one or more tractorcats, or the one that was destroyed was built to be destroyed, ie not as detailed etc

many thanks for the info guys

Mike
Old 14-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #30
paul gray
Forum Supporter

try ripmax for the wheels , they have a great range of tyres
cheers Paul

paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #31
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

thanks Paul,

Ive had a look at the ripmax site, the tyres they do seem smoother, but all of theyre tyres all have 8 spokes rather than the 6 finely spoked wheels,

I think what ill be best to do with them, is once ive worked out how long the atlas rocket is in the shot, then visit a model aeroplane shop that stocks them wheels and have a look at them in the flesh, theres one not too far away from me

looking a bit more at the black and white pic of the red fire engine, the trailer seems to have a few joins in it, maybe its not one solid toy, and seperate parts and corners to build it up?

Mike
Old 14-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #32
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike Delamar View Post
with regard the tractorcat in joe90, never knew that, havent seen joe90 since it was shown in the 1990s, it wasnt really one of my favourites but I am becoming more interested in it now because of the impressive models Im seeing on the net and in books, so will have to check that out.

I know big film studios usually make 2 or more miniatures, so maybe there was one or more tractorcats, or the one that was destroyed was built to be destroyed, ie not as detailed etc
The shots I've seen of the IR Firetruck with the Joe 90 vehicles weren't from an episode - not sure what they were intended for, and have never seen them in print. Wish I had copies !

I know the tractor cat was designed by Mike Trim for End of the Road, so it wouldn't have existed before then (probably around spring '65). At least one duplicate would have been made for the crash scene in that episode, the main model being most probably revamped for Sun Probe, then used again in Cry Wolf before another revamp for Security Hazard. The fire trucks from Thirty Minutes After Noon/City of Fire were probably constructed around spring/summer '65.
Old 14-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #33
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

thats very interesting info,

the explosion scene in end of the road, you see clearly the model fall in one piece, hit the ground, then it explodes

then theres a cut to the puppets watchin it,

and then its on fire destroyed with bits of airfix bridge parts that are not on the model scattered about it,

I wouldnt have known without reading Alan Schubrooks book, that they quickly put the models out, then set fire to them again, I think thats a scene where they did that

Mike
Old 14-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #34
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

One of many !
Old 15-04-2008, 12:13 AM   #35
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

seeing the right hand side shown by Air terrainean, and the wheels on the ladders on this side,

I should have spotted them before but didnt think to get screengrabs of this shot, schoolboy error

Ive done some more screengrabs at slightly different angles to see if they give anything away this time

this part has had be puzzled for a while

If you look at the construction of the trailer, the part Ive lined out in blue seems to be of different construction to the rest, and there is a join line so maybe that could give away what it is?

all suggestions welcome

cheers

Mike

Old 15-04-2008, 12:52 AM   #36
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

Ive managed to find the lights

https://www.europaspares.com/LIGHTIN...LAIN_3480.html

and it also appears that the base part could be the water jet part on the yellow fire engine?

Mike
Old 16-04-2008, 12:24 AM   #37
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

Im wondering weather this part could be from the airfix srn1 hovercraft?

all opinions welcome

I know these are a rare kit so dont really want to get one just for this part

if someones on here has bought one to use other parts as a kit bash and therefore has no use for this particular part, I would be interested in buying just this part

cheers

Mike
Old 16-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #38
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

for a minute I thought I had found it

not yet, but another clue,

Matchbox, Lesney "MERRYWEATHER" fire engine, its very similar and the ladder is the same pattern, although it doesnt have the cog arrangement,

Ive had a quick search for "MERRYWEATHER" and pictures of real engines Ive seen so far have the same ladder pattern, so I think it is a toy, based on a Merryweather engine

interestingly, it appears in the city of fire episode close ups, they have taken the cog wheel and shaft off the red engines ladder, so as they can lower it by wire from above?

Mike
Old 16-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #39
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

In the Give or take a million episode, in the harmann store there is lots of toys, I spotted a box from a fire engine which looks like it could be the one

does anyone recognise the engine or box at all?

cheers

Mike
Old 16-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #40
Dave
Communications Officer

The wheels used on the Elevator Cars appear to be Dubro 3-1/2" wheels. Whether or not other wheels were supplied by Dubro is unclear.

I recon those headlights look the same type as the ones used throughout Captain Scarlet/Joe 90 (back lights on the SPV and Explosives Truck) that used to be available through Radio Spares - but it difficult to tell for sure in the photos. These would be smaller than the panel lights in the photo.
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Tags
fire trucks, thunderbirds