Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 09-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

Default Matchbox toys used in Thunderbirds

there where quite a few matchbox cars and vehicles in Thunderbirds and Stingray, a lot in the airport scenes such as the matchbox lesney BP tanker (also seen in Stingray) the Bedford tk BP Van and the blue inter freighter,

I also remember spotting this when I was younger,as I had an old Matchbox catalogue from the 60s,

its a large Matchbox Lesney, tractor without Shovel which was briefly seen in "The Imposters" episode

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

And unless I'm mistaken, those planes are a combination of (Airfix?) SAAB Draken and F-104 Starfighter parts.

I'm enjoying your posts in this vein, Mike.
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

this is where I need you guys help because I can spot loads of model railway pieces in Thunderbirds with being so familiar with model railways, saying that Ive only just found out about the Vollmers bits, my dad collects the old plastic minix cars and Ive seen a few of them in Thunderbirds.
but I know nothing about aeroplanes and rockets so that info youve just said comes in handy

most of this stuff I spotted when I was a kid or when the re runs on Bravo where on, and its coming back to me now with watching the DVDs again, Im sure this is a big Matchbox like the orange digger but cant be quite sure at the moment, from Alias Mr Hackenbacker, theres also a stock shot like this of 2 matchbox bedford tks, one with the cab took off to make a trailer but cant remember what episode that is at the minute

cheers

Mike
Old 11-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
A Study in Scarlet
Computer Technician

Those two coaches,red and black,one to the extreme right of the picture the other on the other side.Corgi Major Midland Red CM5 motorway coach.Current from 1961 to about 66.Lovely model.
Quite incredible how much of '50s industrial design fits in perfectly around Fireflash and does nt look in the slightest out of place.A prime example being the Hillman Minx series 111,more prominent in some shots than others.
A Study in Scarlet is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

I never knew what the bus was, nice one

I used to look out for these at toy fairs,this was all before the internet and dvds, had to always pause the video

the Thunderbirds toys themselves never really interested me, but the toys that where used in it did, I managed to get a freighter,bedford tk,and bp 8 wheel tanker. 2 of which can be seen in the above pic, 1 in between the red tractor and trailer,looks like the one from stingray, and the another to the left, theyre used for the smaller scale red fire engines also.

Ive spotted the hillman but didnt know what it was so thanks for clearing that one up too, I recognise the colours

heres the bedford tk I mentioned, the cab on these folds up so theyve just removed the cab on one to make a trailer, also these have small grain of wheat bulbs in them,I always wondered how they got the lights to flash, Id imagine the power for them was via 2 wires that pulled it? seen in "Operation crash dive"

also the freighter, you still see these at Toy fairs, managed to pick a tatty one up a while ago,

this snow mobile is also seen as the rtl2 emerges from the hanger in The cham cham

and this is in alias mr hackenbacker

Mike

Old 11-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

doing a little search for the autotanker,came across this pic, I never realised the freighter was a real prototype, learn something new everyday shows its quite a good replica for the time.

The Bp autotanker, and sorry again for those who already know all this, thought id post for those who hadnt seen it, and for a bit of fun

first seen in Stingray, unless its in Fireball xl5 im not sure.
you see this in Stingray as standard toy or this neat conversion which covers the wheels

next to fireflash

theres 2 in the opening of the imposters, in front looks to be a yellow triang minix simca 1300 no 9, the little towbar giving it away I think, not sure what the other cars are

and they where also converted into small scale fire engines by having the back cut away, you can see this in Edge of Impact and Trapped in the sky, you can make out the distinctive front windscreen,

not sure what the ambulances are based on

you still see these at toy fairs too, pick them up quite cheap and can make good little vehicles for the back of diorammas,either standard or modified

Mike
Old 12-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike Delamar View Post
doing a little search for the autotanker,came across this pic, I never realised the freighter was a real prototype, learn something new everyday shows its quite a good replica for the time.

That's a great shot - must have been an amazing sight on the road !

Quote:

theres 2 in the opening of the imposters, in front looks to be a yellow triang minix simca 1300 no 9, the little towbar giving it away I think, not sure what the other cars are

Most of those vehicles are Matchbox toys - at the left of the shot are a red Jeep pick-up, Ford Fire Chief car, and a two-tone Ford station wagon. In front of the building are a Vauxhall Victor estate, a Cadillac and a Chevrolet Impala taxi (not the Minix Simca as suggested).

Quote:

not sure what the ambulances are based on
The ambulances look like converted versions of the Victor estate mentioned above.

From looking at the shows the AP/C21 crew seemed to use various scales of available toy vehicles and kits, sometimes combining them in shot to create false perspective. The main manufacturers featured were Lesney (Matchbox and Superkings), Dinky, Mettoy (Corgi and Husky) and various 1/24th scale kit producers including AMT,Revell, MPC and Johan.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

all great info, id never heard of the amt, mpc and johan1/24 kits till I came here

the simca was just a guess going by the tow bar,

off topic but Id imagine the buildings in that shot are kit also? probably model railway, maybe vollmer?

Mike
Old 12-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #9
Century21Slough
Astrophysics Technician

Yes, it's a Vollmer station kit, can get you the kit number, but I am at work at the moment.

Cheers H
Century21Slough is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #10
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

yeah that would be great,

Ive had a search of the Vollmer site but theres so much they do,

heres a shot when the camera pans to the left, there is another building and some more cars, at the top of the picture looks to be the airfix OO water tower?

cheers

Mike

Old 13-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
cricket
Medical Officer

Just to add that I'm really enjoying this thread. I find all these details completely fascinating.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #12
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

great

just realised as Ive been digging through my bits of airfix kits, the 2 square parts on the top of that building are from the airfix footbridge, with what look like 2 coins painted grey

this red van appears very briefly in The mighty atom and the cham cham, I think this could be a big matchbox lesney?

Mike
Old 13-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

sorry, was connvinced the matchbox 6 wheel fire engine was in alias mr hackenbacker, just checked and it wasnt

Mike
Old 13-04-2008, 11:28 PM   #14
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Century21Slough View Post
Yes, it's a Vollmer station kit, can get you the kit number, but I am at work at the moment.

Cheers H
Kit Number 3500 in the 68/69 catalogue !
Old 13-04-2008, 11:29 PM   #15
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
great

this red van appears very briefly in The mighty atom and the cham cham, I think this could be a big matchbox lesney?

Never seeen this in any diecast range - no idea where it's from !

Old 14-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #16
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Mike, can I ask a favour? If possible can you add arrows to the images pointing directly to the parts you mention? I know you instantly recognise them and in lots of cases I do too, but sometimes I'm not sure exactly what your referring to. If you can get hold of Paint Shop Pro on a trial download or one of the older free versions there are arrows in there that can be used to add to the images.

Cheers

Slate
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #17
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

Yeah no probs Slate, will do

with regards the red van,reminds me of the german vw war vehicles, maybe its a kit or some japanese toy?

Mike
Old 14-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #18
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

And might it not also be the basis for this ?

Quote:

Old 23-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #19
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

not Matchbox, but Im pretty sure in the background of this shot is a Corgi Simon snorker fire engine?

Mike
Old 14-07-2008, 03:08 PM   #20
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

I think the red van could be this with a modified front

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AQUACAR-1960S-...ayphotohosting

Mike