SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 20-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

Default The AMT Silhouette 1/25 kit in Thunderbirds

Hi chaps

I was reading Martin Bowers site on the build of the firefly and recovery vehicles, he mentioned that parts from the AMT silhouette and trailer was used on both, id never heard of it.

a quick google and check of ebay, revealled they are still quite easily available and cheap, Ive just bought one for $10 will let you guys know what its like when it arrives, the AMT range of kits certainly looks great, I knew nothing of them before I started researching all this, the options they offered for custom and standard cars etc seems a great idea.

this particular kit looks very cool, the car goes in the futuristic trailer.

the shape is quite distinctive, main reason I bought one was for the clear bubble domes, and the chrome pieces, Im sure they could have been used on several futuristic vehicles in Thunderbirds, maybe even the smaller fab1? Im hoping some bits where used on the fire engines Im building.

the standard kit also appeared as a futuristic police car in several episodes, be great if anyone knows any vehicles that used bits of this kit.

anyway, heres some screengrabs of it as the police car, some police decals and a grain of wheat bulb could make a authentic Thunderbirds studio model

cheers guys

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Dave
Communications Officer

I got hold of one of those kits a while back.

To be honest, apart from the chassis for the Firefly 'cage' and a couple of chrome bits for my Elevator Car, I couldn't really find any useful parts from it.
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
TVC21
Life Support Officer

Got to say, Mike I love what you`re doing sourcing these old kits. At the last Fanderson con display room there were a couple of really cool kit based rebuilds, Pauls Swift Truck and Hilton`s Sports car (Man from MI5)
It would be really cool to see a series by series database as to what came from where. I`ve always been into puppets, but I`m getting drawn in to the idea of a Tbirds Police car....
TVC21 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

gotta be said it aint me whos finding all this out, wouldnt have known if it wasnt for Martin Bowers site,

didnt notice at first that it has a front wheel arch from something

but gotta be worth a go for around $10 each, weather its for bits for a firefly, elevator car, recovery vehicle, police car etc etc

thankfully they arnt a rare kit for a change

Mike
Old 20-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris King View Post
Got to say, Mike I love what you`re doing sourcing these old kits. At the last Fanderson con display room there were a couple of really cool kit based rebuilds, Pauls Swift Truck and Hilton`s Sports car (Man from MI5)
It would be really cool to see a series by series database as to what came from where. I`ve always been into puppets, but I`m getting drawn in to the idea of a Tbirds Police car....
Think I met Hilton Fitsimmons once at a Dr Who con. I like his work and he did a great TB1 hanger once. We have a mutual friend Ray Phillips who also makes some great replica stuff.
Is he on these boards btw???

Slate
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

it can be seen outside the Anderbad tunnel in perils of penelope

and talking of Police cars

I love the way theres futuristic vehicles in Thunderbirds alongside a mix of what are classic cars now, I do like the Police cars in 30 minutes after noon, Ford Thunderbird???

note the magazine cut outs on the buildings

the tracy roundhouse in the background

I do like this car with its paint scheme and white wall tyres

Mike
Old 21-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
Dave
Communications Officer

Even more interesting - what are those police cars doing on Tracy Island...?

If you look at the photos of the cars crashing, isn't that Thunderbird 3's roundhouse in the background!
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Mcleod View Post
Think I met Hilton Fitsimmons once at a Dr Who con. I like his work and he did a great TB1 hanger once. We have a mutual friend Ray Phillips who also makes some great replica stuff.
Is he on these boards btw???
He certainly is - AKA Century21Slough !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris King View Post
At the last Fanderson con display room there were a couple of really cool kit based rebuilds, Pauls Swift Truck and Hilton`s Sports car (Man from MI5)
These weren't actually kits - they were large scale toys. But as you say, great work on both.

The police cars in those screengrabs from Thirty Minutes After Noon were probably Monogram Ford Thunderbirds, plus also what looks like an AMT Ford Galaxie.

Will post some more info on the 1/24th auto kits used in T-birds plus pics of some builds.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Certainly looks like the round house. A very easy rescue really, a "stay at home" rescue in fact
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

the end part of the roundhouse looks like 2 vertical pieces of perspex or clear plastic with a roof, but without any actual end piece

and Air Terrainean if you could post info on the model car kits used that would be great

Mike

Old 21-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #11
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

I really like the city scenes in 30 minutes after noon, remind me of the later and larger captain scarlet city scenes.

apparantly in the future the large north west of England car chain Carcraft wont be in the big sites they have now but little corner shops
selling Ford Thunderbirds and Jaguar mk10s, and also TV21 will be advertised too

I think the mk10 jag seen in the car showroom and in the car park in city of fire could well be this japanese toy which is the same scale, Ive not been able to find a kit of the mk10 jaguar

Mike
Old 21-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #12
A Study in Scarlet
Computer Technician

You know,on those buildings above they ve cut out the logo from a Hawk hobby kit.And it s just occured to me that i have nt,to the best of my knowledge,seen Hawks extensive range mentioned anywhere in these forums yet.
They may yield a few parts as well.
A Study in Scarlet is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #13
TerraForm1
Astrophysics Technician

Hey Mike and all:
Anyone spot the TV Century 21 comic logo - cut off on the right of the car showroom pic, and the TB3 roundhouse in the background again. I'm really lovin' these CSI type threads. Or maybe I just have waaaay too much time on my hands today.
Graeme
TerraForm1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #14
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Here are some rather old and fuzzy pics of some of the model autos used in Thunderbirds. They're all in a box in the loft at the moment so it might take a while to take any more. Also hides the fairly basic model making techniques !

These are three of the 1/24th kits. Monogram (I think) Intruder, as parked outside General Strond's villa in Martian Invasion, AMT Lincoln Continental estate conversion seen in Move and You're Dead, and AMT Pontiac seen in Duchess Assignment, and outside Swinging Star in Thunderbirds Are Go.

Corgi Toys Chrysler Imperial, Buick Riviera and Ghia - all parked next to Zero X in Thunderbirds Are Go.

Comparitive scales of 1/24th, 1/43 and 1/72 vehicles.

Other 1/24th kits that turn up throughout Thunderbirds include :

AMT Buick Riviera - police car in Trapped in the Sky

Johan Chrysler Turbine - parked at airport in Edge of Impact

IPC Ford Mustang, AMT Chevrolet El Camino and Lindberg (I think) Ford Cougar - parked in stacker in Move and You're Dead

Johan Rambler Marlin fastback - parked outside Swinging Star in Thunderbirds Are Go

If I can think of any more I'll add them to the list.
Old 21-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #15
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

this is all great info cheers AT

especially for someone like me who knows very little about american cars

Ive made quite a few tamiya 1/24 cars in the past, but whats interested me finding this out, is a lot of these AMT cars are 1/25 not 1/24, I know it makes little difference to tell, but I never knew of 1/25 scale

Ill keep asking questions, the more cars I spot

cheers

Mike

Old 21-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #16
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Yes - I always forget the American kits are actually 1/25th.

Also on the list -

AMT (probably) Chevrolet Corvette - Erdman gang's car in Thirty Minutes After Noon
Old 21-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #17
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

Im glad you mentioned the general strom car, that was something I was planning to ask,

one of the reasons I want to find all these out, is that one of these kits may just have a part in it I need for other projects, be it chrome part or bubble dome roof,wheels etc.

another Police car in Operation crash dive and some other episodes, is something american but seems to have the same roof as FAB1

and imagine driving along and seeing this come down! surprised theres no crash marks on the shutters! add to that, someone is driving on the wrong side of the road and also your stuck there till the airport reopens

Mike
Old 21-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #18
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

[/quote]

I love this build ! The base model is a Johan '66 Cadillac convertible, but whether the bubble-top was part of a customising conversion included with kit I don't know. Keep trying to find one on e-bay to check it out.
Old 21-04-2008, 10:19 PM   #19
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

maybe its 2 bubble windscreens back to back?

Mike
Old 21-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #20
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Just realised the same car appears in the shot of the firetruck I scanned recently - I think it looks like a one piece roof.