SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-04-2008, 01:44 AM   #1
Dakota_in_the_sky
Eagle Pilot

Default 44" Studio model replica prototype kit

Hello fellow model enthusiasts,

I'd like to introduce my next kit, the RB Models 44" prototype.

Here are some FAQ. Please let me know if you have any questions not listed below.

FAQ

Will this be a kit?
Yes.

What’s the name of the kit?
The RB Models 44” Studio Replica Kit.

What is the configuration?
The passenger pod version.

What year?
Season 1.

What scale?
1/24th.

What size?
44”

What does studio replica mean?
The same size and scale as the filming miniature.

What does prototype mean?
This will be the first version. Every kit will include a questionnaire that will ask how to improve the kit. All the information will be used on the production version. The kit will come with a label that says “Sample only, not for public sale”. The prototype models will also be used for trade shows, previews, presentations, etc.

How many prototype models will be available?
(EDIT by RB) 10 Kits

If it says “sample”, does this mean I have to send it back?
No, it’s yours to do whatever you want with it. All I’m interested in is the questionnaire.

If it says “not for public sale”, does this mean I can’t sell it later?
What happens to it when it leaves my possession is not up to me, but up to builder. After the questionnaire is filled out, I will have the info I need.

What will the questionnaire ask?
It will ask how to improve accuracy, quality, packaging, box art, etc.

What media will the prototype parts be in?
Resin.

Will there be metal parts?
Only as an upgrade kit. This will also determine if the metal parts are feasible on the production model.

What parts will be in the metal upgrade kit?
The bells, VTOLs, disks, complete frame, and landing gear. Possible the engine parts if there is a demand for it.

Will it have a cockpit interior?
No, but an interior upgrade kit will be available.

What will be in the interior kit?
The CM interior rear wall and two pilots. A set of consoles and chairs might be a possibility.

Will the 44" be available as a built up?
Yes.

What is the price of the buildup?
Unknown until the first few are built. My guess would be anywhere from $3500 to $5000.

How much for shipping?
Unknown until the first kit is cast.

How long will it take to get the prototype?
Unknown. It depends on how fast the rest of the parts can be CAD’d, SLA’d, preped, and molded. The goal is to start shipping by the begining of July, and get all the kits shipped before the end of the year.

Can I preorder a kit?
Yes, but money will not taken until all of the parts have been molded and the parts are ready to cast.

What forms of payment will be accepted?
Pay Pal, U.S. money order, U.S. Checks.

What’s the difference between Bixkits and this one?
His is season 2, while mine is season one.

Why make one when Uncle Bill is doing one?
I started this last year before I know Uncle Bill was doing one. I sent an e-mail to ask if we can work together on some of the parts, but I haven't heard back yet.

How accurate is this?
Very accurate as it uses Daniel Prud'homme and Chris Trice’s highly accurate Season one blueprints.

Can I buy parts separately?
Yes.

What parts will be available first?
The CM Nosecone Beak. My apologies to Chris Thrice for doing this part first. It’s not my intention to hurt his sales. Just to let everyone know, my CM won’t be as accurate as Chris’. Mine has a few tells to set it apart from others that have been released, but is still very close to blueprints.

Will there be other parts available for it, like the spine boosters?
Unknown for now, but I’d like to eventually release spine boosters, side boosters, a grab arm, and glider. I'll probably ask for help from members of this board.

What parts have been CAD’d so far?
The CM, shoulders, Cages, spine, engine frame, engine parts, bells, VTOLs, Shoulder landing gear, passenger pod under frame and landing gear.

What parts are left to be CAD’d?
The walkways and the passenger pod.

What’s so special about a model that has been done is CAD and printed on SLA?
Parts are symmetrical. Also many parts have alignment guides similar to a styrene model kit.

What parts have been printed so far?
The CM, Shoulders, cages, spine, engine frame, engine parts, bells, VTOLs, and passenger pod underframe.

Are there any parts that won't be done in CAD?
Yes, the walkway shelves. These were laser cut in acrylic. The parts will be Plastruct on the master. I will have to decide if the parts in the kit will be Plastruct plastic parts or resin.

How heavy will the resin parts be?
Standard (good quality) resin will be used for many of the parts. Lightweight resins will be considered for the passenger pod.

How strong will the resin framework be?
Heavy duty high strength resin will be tested for the framework. The runners for the spine will be brass.

Will this be in production after the prototype is done?
Yes.

Will the production model be licensed?
A license will be requested for the production run. The application will not be submitted until all the prototype kits are sent out and most of the questionnaires are mailed back or e-mailed. The information collected will be applied to the model and presented during the application. The goal is January of 2009 for the application and July 2009 (Comicon) for the announcement.

How many models will be made during production?
1999 total units. 1000 passenger pods during the first year. 999 for the following year. These will be made up of Lab pods, freighter pods, VIP pods, and medical pods. This may change if the license holders request different numbers.

When will the Lab pods, freighter pods, and medical pods be released?
The year after at the earliest, but it also depends on how successful the Passenger pod is and if the license is granted.

What media will the production models be in?
Resin, but injection molded parts will be used wherever possible. Metal parts will be highly considered for the frame and landing gear.

What happens if the license is denied?
This will be a rare collector’s item and I will shoot myself.

What will the price be for the production model?
Unknown until the application in submitted. The cost of the license will affect the price, as will the type of material used (resin, styrene, metal).

Will the production model be a kit or built up?
It will be a built up.

Will there be licensed kits made?
Probably not, but that question will be asked during the application process.

Will you take trades for the prototype?
After a certain number of kits have been preordered, then yes. But only 1/24th scale kits will be considered for trades. The most important part is to cover the cost that has been invested.

Will this be available in any other scales?
Maybe. The nice thing about CAD parts is that it can be scaled up or down at the push of a button. There probably won't be a demand for 22" parts since there is stuff already out there. If there is a small demand for 33" kits, that will be considered.

Any photos?
Yes, later this week, with more submitted as the parts are ready.

How much money has been invested in this product?
A lot.

Can I pay for this in installments?
This is a possibility.

What is the price of the kit?
$1000 USD plus shipping. I’d like to keep the price point around this level to make the kit more affordable to more builders. If there are not as many interested people, the price will have to go up (However, I don’t see that happening).

What does the RB stand for?
My name, which is Robert Burns. I thought it might be good to call it this since the old kit was named AB models.

I hope this is good news to many builders. I have spent a lot of time and money on this project and I hope it pays off. My goal is to make a highly detailed, accurate, easy building, affordable product. I currently have a 1/24th scale Bee Wing that has priority over this project. As soon as those kits are shipped out, more time will be dedicated to this one. Please feel free to e-mail any other questions.

Many thanks,

Robert

Last edited by Dakota_in_the_sky; 13-05-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Dakota_in_the_sky is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 05:22 AM   #2
ostrein
Communications Officer

Good news that is

and with the current exchange rate USD-EURO you will sell lots. Put my name on the list, please.
ostrein is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 07:42 AM   #3
Communications Officer

Please put me on the list as well. look forward to seeing some pictures. Things are looking up for the 44" in 2008. BTW: Was this the 'Monday' announcement rob?

Last edited by 29390; 29-04-2008 at 08:27 PM.
29390 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29390 View Post
Please put me on the list as well. look forward to seeing some pictures. Things are looking up for the 44" in 2008. BTW: Was this the 'Monday' announcement rob?
How do people get on the list for a prototype Robert?

Slate
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Dakota_in_the_sky
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrein View Post
Good news that is

and with the current exchange rate USD-EURO you will sell lots. Put my name on the list, please.
I hope your right. With the buying power of the Euro, hopefully some of the guys will buy 2!

You're first on the list.

Thank you - R

Old 26-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
Dakota_in_the_sky
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29390 View Post
You got it. Thanks. Yes, this was the Monday announcement, but I recieved some of the parts in the mail sooner than expected.
Old 26-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
Dakota_in_the_sky
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Mcleod View Post
How do people get on the list for a prototype Robert?

Slate
All you need to do is state you want one on this thread. You'll get added to the list. It would help to send me an e-mail as well.

To everyone, please only preorder one if you are serious about wanting to buy one. I remember Steve of Nice'n'Models got burned because a lot of people preordered one of his kits. Out of 50(?) only around 14 bought one when it was time to pay for it.

My e-mail is below if you want to confirm the preorder with your name and shipping address.

Thank you,

Robert
robertburnsjr101@yahoo.com
Old 26-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #8
sliuman
Forum Supporter

ooh, yes please! Put me down for one!
sliuman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

You should sell them all I think. Well worth the wait for the announcement. Great price too.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
w8cmp
Science Officer

Please add my name to the pre-order list too.

I'll confirm details when I'm back home in the UK as I'm connecting in Spain via my IPAQ right now...

Chris
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-04-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Boy someone's got to do it. How's Spain?
Old 26-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #12
w8cmp
Science Officer

Warm...but the beer and sangria are cold :-)
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 12:38 PM   #13
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Well, have a beer for me.
Old 26-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #14
Eagle
Commander Ret.

I'm not sure. It's one hell of a chunk of cash to dish out for a prototype kit. I think I'll wait until later in the run.

Alternatively, you mention a build-up. Can you put me down on the reserve list for this please? My only initial question is; being resin, will there be any sagging issues?

Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #15
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8cmp View Post
Warm...but the beer and sangria are cold :-)
Ask for "tinto de verano"

...and sorry about derailing the thread...

Last edited by akoenig; 26-04-2008 at 06:02 PM. Reason: adding epitaph
akoenig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #16
JericoEagle1
Medical Technician

I'd like one as well if a payment arrangement can be made. Also, will this be a total kit or will some scratchbuilding skills be required?

Last edited by JericoEagle1; 26-04-2008 at 06:47 PM.
JericoEagle1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #17
Dakota_in_the_sky
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliuman View Post
ooh, yes please! Put me down for one!
Got it, thanks
Old 26-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #18
Dakota_in_the_sky
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8cmp View Post
Please add my name to the pre-order list too.

I'll confirm details when I'm back home in the UK as I'm connecting in Spain via my IPAQ right now...

Chris
Got it, Chris. Mahalo
Old 26-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #19
Dakota_in_the_sky
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I'm not sure. It's one hell of a chunk of cash to dish out for a prototype kit. I think I'll wait until later in the run.

Alternatively, you mention a build-up. Can you put me down on the reserve list for this please? My only initial question is; being resin, will there be any sagging issues?

There shouldn't be any sagging issues with the types of resins being used. The resin caster who trained me makes real motorcycle parts with the same resins. One product is a large upper fairing (looks like a police Harley) which stands up to weather and vibration. Another part (with the same material) is used next the engine. It doesn't get damaged by the heat. In fact, it gets stronger every time it heats up and cools down. This same resin is what other people use for models. I couldn't believe it until he showed me the parts.

As far as the structure goes, this is up to the builder. The spine runners will be brass tubing, which will add strength. There should be some inner support the builder might have to do. I'm thinking about adding a center support rod (thick threaded rod with washers and bolts at every wall) from the CM rear wall, through the walkway, throught the passenger pod, and through the rear walkway. This will take pressure off the spine to support the weight.

Eagle, did you want to be put on the reserve list for the prototype builtup? If so, that is no problem. However, I'm not able to take reservations for the production version builtup since I'm not submitting the license request until January. I have no idea if it'll be accepted or declined.
Old 26-04-2008, 08:09 PM   #20
Dakota_in_the_sky
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JericoEagle1 View Post
I'd like one as well if a payment arrangement can be made. Also, will this be a total kit or will some scratchbuilding skills be required?
Pm sent.

This will be a total kit. The builder must think about the inner structure as said in the above post. You'll see my test build up in progress as I get the parts cast. I will be open to suggestions if there is anything easier/cheaper/better/stronger to make the model hold up.

Mahalo