SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 08-05-2008, 02:45 AM   #1
Designasaurus
Travel Tube Technician

Default Scratchbuilding Engine Bells in the Shower

Hi Guys,

As some of you may know I'm presently obsessed with restoring and/or rebuilding Mattel Eagles. I've already posted on of my finished projects (I probably should have stuck it down in the Dragons Domain) and now I'm on to a couple more.

My current Eagle came to me without any of the accessories. This included the four main engine bells. I know that I can go to ebay and get replacements or I could turn a set myself but I've always enjoyed building models out of "found objects". (I guess this is a throwback to the my days of building BSG Colonial Vipers from cardboard tubes and toilet paper rolls.)

Anyway, as I was in the shower yesterday it occurred to me that the showerhead itself was pretty close in size and shape to the missing engine bells. I've used shower heads before in models as nose cones and main bodies but never as solo engines. The cool thing about them is that if you unscrew and disassemble the housing you find all sorts of nifty components inside. You can actually turn the whole thing inside-out and pressure-fit most of the components back together again making it look like something from 2001.

Right now, and much to my wife's dismay, I've taken or shower head off, disassembled it, and glued it back together to resemble the engine bell for the Mattel eagle in question. I stuck an empty AA battery housing (I found a box of these in an alley once) into the small end which provides a simple way of attaching the engine to the fule tanks on the toy. It actually looks pretty good, even unfinished. I'm primming it right now and will sand and phtograph it a little later. I'll post pics of it's development in a day or so.

My plan now is to finish it as a master component and then tak a rubber mold. I'm then going top use it to cast replacement enines for my two current eagles and any subsequent eagles that show up without a tail pipe.

If all goes well the first of these Eagles will be up for Action some time next month.

Cheers!
Paul
Designasaurus is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:49 AM   #2
Designasaurus
Travel Tube Technician

Wow, my typing/spelling sucks.

Along with the many other mistakes I meant to say the Eagle would be up for AUCTION next month.

Thanks,
Paul
Designasaurus is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
Tristan
Travel Tube Technician

Enjoyed your posts as usual Designasaurus. There is a very cheap, shower head, white in color, for a $1.97 and its almost a perfect match. What's really great is not only is it cheap, looks appropriate and you can take it apart for painting, there is the added bonus of an inside device that holds the circular plate to control the aperture of the shower head, one can remove it and add the blast plate with the center hole and 4 semi circle holes on the N/S/E/W position. Im very impressed with my $8 and some odd cents purchase and plan on enjoying customizing a stripped down MATTEL EAGLE I bought last week. Thanks again D.
Tristan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote