Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Anderson - Reference Section, Member Builds and Detailing > Space 1999 > The Eagles

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 08-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Default ANOTHER!!! Eagle viewports theory

A new theory about Eagle viewports (maybe not...)

I've got a 22" AB Eagle kit, and decided to build a complete cockpit for it. So, I hollowed the CM and then lost the rear part of it... but this another history (PLEASE HELP ME!!! http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=5364 )

Once the job done, I had a revelation... so I marked the supposed lower viewport profiles as you can see in this pic (i've darkened the area with Photoshop)

Then I placed a pilot in his logical place (per the series interior set and Baldassari blueprints, I'm a firm Baldassarian) and, being the upper viewports too high to view directly through, the lower ones are much more accesible.

And it's quite logical. If they were real viewports, would be used much more than the upper ones, because the Eagle, performing more or less like a helicopter in manual controlled flight in moon and planetary operations, would use the lower viewports (ground level) much more than the upper ones (space and more space). The last pic shows the pilot from the upper viewports and above. It's the only way to see the pilots if you place them in the Baldassarian way.

akoenig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
BrianS
Communications Officer

Except of course that the control consoles block them completely.
BrianS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
Except of course that the control consoles block them completely.
I don't think so my friend... the control consoles allow the view beneath them. They are located in a space between the two viewports rows. Just like in a helicopter. In fact, it's not difficult to think in the Eagle like a very sophisticated chopper...
Old 09-05-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
Transporter
Life Support Officer

I have another theory:

All the viewports were not viewports, they just look so from the outside of the Eagle. What we normally see, looking forward, is just a view of a special screen that more or less matches the form of the "viewports"...

Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

That's not as "funny" as it sounds. It's probably the most sensible configuration they could use, "on screen" viewing could provide all round visability for the craft and make it a lot easier to fly than with the crappy vision the windows provide as they are.

Hey.... if the Spectrum guys can drive SPVs via tv while seated backwards, I'm sure the eagle could have such screens.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Well, I think in fact than more than viewports, they are a sort of "sensors", photoreceivers in fact, and then the data is transmitted to the cockpit screens. There is no need in fact for viewports in a spacecraft, as the NASA engineers tried to teach to the original Mercury astronauts

But... my idea is, speculating wildly... What was the original Brian Johnson idea about them? He for sure had a very different concept of the Eagle cockpit that the one we know
Old 09-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
SC100B
Weapons Technician

Talking of viewports, while watching "The Last Enemy" I noticed that when Carter flys an Eagle out to inspect the damage done to the battleship he looks downwards and to his left side as if he was looking through non-existant side windows.
SC100B is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:49 AM   #8
Leif_G
Chef

In 'Break Away' they use the small communications view screen and a bottom mounted camera to see underneath the Eagle. If the main cockpit windows were actually viewscreens, you'd think they'd use those to project from the bottom camera, instead of the much smaller communications screens. Also, you can see the pilots through the top windows when positioned at the Eagle's nose section. As for the bottom cutaways on the command modules... the instrument consoles do extend right across the front of the Eagle, so I'm not sure how much they would see. Might be possible.

Leif
Leif_G is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:49 AM   #9
cmdrkoenig67
Eagle Pilot

Soooooo...I guess in the episodes which we see the astronauts through the "viewports" from the outside, we're really looking at more video screens mounted on the outside, showing the pilots inside?

cmdrkoenig67 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
Soooooo...I guess in the episodes which we see the astronauts through the "viewports" from the outside, we're really looking at more video screens mounted on the outside, showing the pilots inside?

Of course we are, they're still see through though used as screens.... its simple.... haven't you watched any sci-fi before
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #11
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

.... or it could just be artistic licence.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #12
skiffy
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
.... or it could just be artistic licence.
Given the constraints of filming a live action set in such cramped conditions, I think we've just got to live with the fact that it doesn't quite work. As far as I'm aware, there never was an exterior built for the eagle CM interior set.

Sometimes an exterior is built as a 'fly-away' piece which can be lifted away for interior scenes or put in place for 'looking in through the windows' shots. I don't think that kind of thing was a priority back then though...
skiffy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #13
Gumdrop and Spider
Astrophysics Technician

Occam's Razor: All things being equal, the simplest explanation is the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoenig View Post

But... my idea is, speculating wildly... What was the original Brian
Johnson idea about them? He for sure had a very different concept of
the Eagle cockpit that the one we know
Right from the ship's designer:

Viewports addressed 4th Question and answer down:

http://www.space1999.org/features/as...n/2001-9a.html

Cockpit set over-size addressed as second question and answer:

http://www.space1999.org/features/as...n/2002-2a.html

I strongly believe after reading the above; that the upper windows are intended to be just simply windows for the pilots to look through. The interior set was a compromise that allowed the best filming of the actors/ camera movement/ lighting. As a bonus it looked kind of cool to us youngsters

Shots of the inside screens helped direct viewers attention to the plot points. The viewports as seen from the inside are (of course) slightly inconsistent with the outside (height stretched); however the more narrow "actual" window shape would not have revealed as much to the television audience of a given subject: i.e. nebula, planet, fueling eagle, etc.

In fact; the upper eagle windows have lineage to those of the Gemini/ Apollo spacecraft:

http://www.daviddarling.info/images/...ini_mockup.jpg

http://www.courses.psu.edu/aersp/aer...Rendezvous.jpg

http://ganymede.nmsu.edu/tharriso/gemini2_a.gif

http://history.nasa.gov/ap08fj/pics/windows.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/83/206752920_a6cfd82a43_m.jpg

http://www.space1.com/About_Us/Our_A...sim_window.jpg

Last edited by Gumdrop and Spider; 10-05-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Gumdrop and Spider is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:47 PM   #14
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Wouldn't it be cool to see Brian Johnsons sketches of the 3rd season Eagle proposition?

Quote:
The EAGLE SPACECRAFT, I noticed, had four windows. Two were for Pilot, Co-Pilot. What were the bottom two for? Mapping Cameras? Instruments? Or were they solid?

When I came up with the original idea I did envisage all four windows with crew looking out. As the production got under way it was obvious that there was no need for the inverted positions, however I liked the symmetry and left it alone. They were solid. If you look at the Hawks in "War Games" you will see that I only used two windows in that design. I have somewhere a concept sketch of what the Eagles would have looked like for a possible third series and that has a two window set up.
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #15
EagleNut
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
Wouldn't it be cool to see Brian Johnsons sketches of the 3rd season Eagle proposition?
I was thinking the same ...maybe it would be a more believable design
EagleNut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #16
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
When I came up with the original idea I did envisage all four windows with crew looking out. As the production got under way it was obvious that there was no need for the inverted positions, however I liked the symmetry and left it alone.
Thanks very much Mr Johnson, that's EXACTLY what I was trying to discover