Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-09-2005, 05:48 PM   #1
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Default Straightening vinyl?

Some vinyl figures arrive with warped/bent parts - usually weapons for some bizarre reason...

Any ideas/tips for straightening them?
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2005, 06:32 PM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Dip them in boiling water for a few seconds, straighten them and let them cool.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Cheers.

Vinyl too (as well as resin)?...
Old 26-09-2005, 07:27 PM   #4
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

If anything, vinyl responds better than resin.

If these figures are hollow (and I'm assuming they are and quite large), I know most of the figure modellers pour plaster into the lower halves to stop the legs from bending and to make a weighty base so they don't fall over so easily. I've no idea if that's relevant or possible in your case.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2005, 09:32 PM   #5
TonyB
Forum Supporter

As Chris said that will work fine, however the only thing I do differently to that, is to dip the offending part in hot water bending back into the correct shape and imediately dip the part into ice cold water rather than letting it cool at room temperature. This has served me well over the last 15 years of building vinyl kits.

Also as Chris mentioned filling the hollow parts with plaster or similar will also be benificial with these kits, you need to remember that the models will sag slightly when they get warm if the part is thin like an anke joint for example, and they will lean markedly if the temperature gets too warm, this is one of the major problems with vinyl kits, unless you fill them.

To get around this I use a material called 'Gyps' to fill the parts, this is a Gypson plaster compound from Germany that looks and works a bit works like Plaster of Paris, but does not dry out quite as quckly. You should be able to get this at any good craft shop, and it costs around 5 for a 5KG bag. The down side is that it adds quite a weight to the finisehed model.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #6
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Cheers guys.

(btw, Tony - it's not your Tusken Raider - that, bizarrely enough, sorted itself out over time!)

This is a Kotobukiya Clonetrooper* which I received today. Everything else is fine - just the blaster is a little warped.

*I really ought to get some pics up of this figure - it's K's best peice yet. (But even that'll get blown out the water though when the Snowtrooper is released... )
Old 26-09-2005, 09:50 PM   #7
TonyB
Forum Supporter

The end of the Gaffi Stick on the Tuskan Raider in my display cabinet is is up and down like a fiddlers elbow in really warm weather, talk about brewers droop, that's the trouble with those Polydata Star Wars vinyl kits, the vinyl is very soft.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote