Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-02-2006, 12:07 AM   #1
TerraForm1
Astrophysics Technician

Default New Mike Trim (Century 21 designer) Book due out mid year

And about time too. Mike Trim designed many of the secondary vehicles and locales used in the Anderson Supermarionation series from Thunderbirds through UFO. It's great to finally see him get some recognition, (stepping out of the shadow of Meddings if you will). The Spectrum Patrol Car & MSV, from Captain Scarlet as well as UFO's SID and the SHADO Mobile (to name but a few), all came from his drawing board. The book (which features his post-Anderson art as well) should make a nice companion to '21st Century Visions' which focussed on Derek Meddings career with the Andersons.

The Future Was F.A.B.: The Art Of Mike Trim (Paperback)
by Anthony Taylor is available for pre-order at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193...25720?n=283155
TerraForm1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
Captainplaid
Astrophysics Technician

Hi TerraForm 1,

I soooooo agree with you Sir, "finally" a book about Mr. Mike Trim.
This amazingly talented man, whose designs haunt most model builders dreams as " ohhh must have one those projects".
The laurels always falls to the Big names and not those in the shadows as in the case of Mr. Trim. But in my view these two great men soon became equals in there own right.
The genius of there Art/ talent has given us timeless designs.
I am greatly honored to know Michael and anyone whom has had the honor of meeting him, soon learns he is a big hearted Gentleman. It is so wonderful to finally see the World of Mike Trim's artistry come to print. I've had an in on this one for a while as some of my collection was asked to be added, which i did in a hearts beat to help Mr. Trim. "Wild', i just looked at the posting for it at Amazon site you linked, if that is the final draft of the cover art then they used one from collection..
Captainplaid is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
TerraForm1
Astrophysics Technician

Hi Captainplaid!

Thanks for the enthusiastic reply and it's great to hear of your hand in the book's assembly of material. I've not had the pleasure of meeting Mike but based on his episode 1 commentary on the North American Joe 90 DVD set, he sounds really interesting and very down to earth.
I remember seeing a few of his sketches and paintings on EvilBay quite a while back - As usual, I hadn't the funds to put in a decent bid at the time ..... but I was blown away by the detail and artistry evident in the scans (which I saved), that accompanied the auctions. If memory serves, the original plans/ drawings for the Lunar Module & Carrier, T'Birds Wombat jet and communication dish were up for bid along with the SID painting and a lovely rendering of the SHADO mobile.
I'm guessing that the pre-release cover shown on Amazon is perhaps a prototype and not the final jacket image, a practice which is common in the publishing industry. Closer to the printing date, the publisher might want something more Thunderbirds related to achieve the greatest recognizability factor with the general public - but you never know: It's a lovely fine art rendition of SID and I'm unashamedly envious of your aquisition.
Can't wait 'til summer!
TerraForm1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
Captainplaid
Astrophysics Technician

Hi again, nice to hear back from ya, grrrrrrrr it's -20's a good day to work on Eagles. You Sir are bang on with your sleuthing, i too LoL, have never had the great honor of personally meeting Mike but would love to shake his hand. I have had the amazing fortune of building a close Friendship with Mr. & Mrs. Trim.
As a diehard fan of Gerry Anderson shows (TB, CAP. S., JOE 90, U.F.O. and SPACE) vehicle design from them has captivated my dreams and building habits from about 18 to now turned 42 years of age. The chance to aquire original plans was hard to pass up, i was and am grateful to have aquire the Lunar carrier and module toned pencil plans used by the model dept. to build the filming minatures. Mike wrote me and told me he only had the time twice to do this for U.f.O. he did this for Skydiver and the carrier sadly he only retrieved the carrier from the model Dept. We can only hope oneof the chaps in that shop took it home or it ended up in the skip The painting was a commison which fell threw i again was blessed to aquire it. About a year latter i came up with the idea of an opposite view of the earth with interceptors attacking incoming Ufo's to protect S.I.D. thus i was blessed to have Mike do me that painting. A tough thing to do with out the original of S.I.D. beside it for color balance and form, but the master he is at his art he ddi it from color copies.
Again your bang on target, this could be a draft cover and end up being something wayyyy different. But should they keep it as final my guess they may use my other painting on the back to make a wrap around art.
I am just so glad i could help Mr. Trim I too can not wait to see his work, as a scratch builder learnig how they approach a design is food to learn and grow with. We are so blessed here at our Eagle site to have Mr. Trice among us, his years of study and work in the film Industry and his private passion to study the original filming Minatures, gives us insight into our passion for eagles we would neverrrrr have or Know.
loL Mike/ Capt. Plaid out
Captainplaid is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote