SPONSORED BY
&

Closed Thread Bookmark and Share

Old 30-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Default Century 21 FX man Dave Mitton

http://news.awn.com/index.php?ltype=...sitem_no=23415

Last edited by Air Terrainean; 09-12-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 30-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

I couldn't get through to the site due to a plethora of javascript ads, but I'll (sadly) assume Mr Mitton has passed away.

Thanks, Mr Mitton; I just hope you knew how much pleasure your work brought to many, many people before you left us. My sincere condolences to family and friends.
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 30-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Children's TV Creator Dies Unexpectedly

May 28, 2008

Pineapple Squared Ent's Creative Director David Mitton died from a sudden heart attack last week. At the time of his death Mitton was overseeing a number of Pineapple Squared's projects including the animated epic for boys, ADVENTURES ON ORSUM ISLAND.

Television industry stalwart Mitton worked for the THUNDERBIRDS creator Gerry Anderson in the 1960s as a special effects floor technician on THUNDERBIRDS. It was there that he met Pineapple Squared's Supervising Director David Lane.

In the 1980s Mitton started a film company with Ken Turner called Clearwater Films. Clearwater then set up a feature arm, which teamed up with Britt Allcroft to make THOMAS THE TANK ENGINE. Mitton went on to direct write more than 180 episodes of THOMAS THE TANK ENGINE.

Later, Mitton's imagination led to the creation of ORSUM ISLAND, a series for 7-11 year old children. With the benefit of all the experience he gained on THOMAS, TUGS and THUNDERBIRDS, Mitton was convinced that he had come up with a show that would deliver the sort of pace and variety he recognized today's young audiences are demanding. What's more, he viewed his work on ORSUM ISLAND and other upcoming Pineapple Squared productions as a vehicle by which to hand down his knowledge and experience to a new generation. Happy to be seen as something of an elder statesman, Mitton was keen to nurture the younger team members at Pineapple Squared.

Having been one of the main drivers behind several hugely successful shows, Mitton believed his work at Pineapple Squared would set a new tone for worldwide production focusing on story, plot and quality animation through a proprietary pipeline. The production facility was built as a robust feature of Pineapple Squared and is ideally placed to continue his work and provide the market with a fitting legacy for one of its great contributors.

The producers at Pineapple Squared, Michele Fabian-Jones and David Lane, have paid tribute to their partner, saying in a statement, "David Mitton was one of the greats of children's TV, his loss is a considerable one personally and professionally. The blow is cushioned only by the knowledge that he goes on through the continued success of Pineapple Squared Ent. and in particular of ORSUM ISLAND, about which he was so passionate."

Last edited by Air Terrainean; 09-12-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 30-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

thats really upset me

I only found out recentley that he worked on Thunderbirds

but growing up, I was a huge fan of Thomas, to the point when I was a bit older I looked into how it was made and filmed etc,

you can definatley see he learned his trade on Thunderbirds when he did Thomas,
Ive only ever seen the Ringo Starr narrated episodes, they where the best ones and still look back at them now and then,

its what got me interested and hooked on model making and model railways and also film miniatures such as Thunderbirds

a great amount of the success of the show owes a lot to David as Gerry Andersons programmes did to Derek Meddings

rest in peace

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 30-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
Sorry you had trouble with the link Dr.Kane
Probably just down to me being on dial-up. Thanks for reproducing the text here.
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share

Old 31-05-2008, 03:04 AM   #6
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I have a similar story re Thomas the tank engine, having four kids you understand. A lot of the model making in the series is outstanding, little surprise then the link to C21. May he rest in peace, he's been responsible for quite a bit of joy for kids and adults alike
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 31-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #7
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

is there any pics of him working on Thunderbirds?

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 07-06-2008, 12:01 AM   #8
Knight1966
Communications Officer

Sincere Condolences to his family, yet another sad reminder of our own mortality.
Knight1966 is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 11-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #9
tibbington
Medical Technician

Its sad that he has left us but i never knew he worked on thunderbirds oh well you learn something everyday
tibbington is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Closed Thread