SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 14-02-2006, 05:08 AM   #1
CelticNut
Medical Technician

Default When SPACE: 1999 is "Re-Imagined," Will Eagles Fly

And I do mean "When..."

The producers of "Battlestar Galactica" took liberties when reinterpreting the Viper. Is it reasonable to assume that Alpha's Eagles would also be retrofit? How do you think they would fare?

Should the Eagle be redesigned or simply streamlined?

How would YOU change it, if at all?
CelticNut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

One of my personal bug bears is when people tinker with things for the sake of it. Sometimes, with the right person in the art department, you can come up trumps but more often than not, it gives you results like the Thunderbirds from the recent Thunderbirds movie. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I might change a few small details but otherwise leave the craft intact.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
doon
Communications Officer

I, for one, hate the redesigned Galactica and Vipers, actually didn't like the darkening, Days of our lives turn of the show took at first either. But, now I consider it a different series altogether and find myself not only watching it but also enjoying it. So, if they were to redo, remake or what have you to 1999, I would hope they wouldn't change the eagle! Better premise for the moon being on a wild trajectory, sure, upgrade or change in costume ok, Alan Carter as a pedophile, no!
Just my 2
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
CelticNut
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I might change a few small details but otherwise leave the craft intact.
We're both on the same page. I think the current design is perfect. The only thing I would do is retract the landing gear into the pods. Make it a seamless fit so when the craft is cruising, there's nothing dangling beneath it. Of course, the bells from the retro rockets are kinda HUGE, but you can't have everything. The obvious problem is if one or more of the landing gear fails to deploy, the ship would be unable to land safely.

I liked the way the landing struts popped out of the drop ship from Aliens. Perhaps I just like crafts that reveal moving parts, like real aircrafts and spacecrafts. That tends to make them more interesting than static crafts.
Old 16-02-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Zoidberg
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticNut
The obvious problem is if one or more of the landing gear fails to deploy, the ship would be unable to land safely.
And there you go, a plot device for a dozen episodes (a la ST:TNG's holodeck).
Zoidberg is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2006, 04:55 PM   #6
ianclaire
Alphan

Hi, i'm abit of a newbie,

i noticed this from one of the other guys (scroll down a bit)
http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...opic.php?t=417
(sorry not sure about linking forums yet)
I imagine that after the exodus and 25 years surving on terra alpha (am i right about this?) before the moon swings back round again alot of scavanging would produce something like this.

It would be great to see a story line, to people post possible story lines?

ian.
ianclaire is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:11 PM   #7
BlackBirdCD
Geological Technician

The Eagle should simply be used in space only. That's what its design would dictate. Incorporate some kind of glider for planetary landings.
BlackBirdCD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:06 AM   #8
CelticNut
Medical Technician

Indeed! A separable pod for planetary excursions only. Very clever and sensible. Especially with the Eagle's multitude of appendages and frail-looking landing gear! I salute your attention to practicality. Science fiction is capable of allowing us to suspend our belief...to a point. In the real world, smoother is better (at least when it comes to space craft).
Old 06-03-2006, 03:12 PM   #9
Sciquest
Travel Tube Technician

Default Landing Gear

I'll go for treaded gear replacing the pads to allow a ground taxi capability. Gear like that could not retract. Other changes I have described before in other threads but boil down to increasing size by a factor of two for eight fold volume increase and double decker layout, encapsulated ejection seats for crew and passengers, CM at the rear as well as front engines relocated to lengthened cages with bidirectional splayed nozzles. Fuel in shoulder pods and fusion engines able to operate in atmosphere. The VTOL engines provide lift in flying in atmosphere or a gravity well such as airless moon. Pod seperable in flight and capable of being 'space dropped' to land independantly. Returning to landing gear, use telescoping support legs to jack up the Eagle frame enough to allow a forward/rear pod ramp to deploy for straight in/out cargo or vehicle unloading. Dimensions difficult to compute but baseline Eagle at another site was calculated at 102 feet length. My SuperEagle is in threat of it's own, I lack ability to post a drawing usinng public computer. Does anyone feel like drawing this ship?
Sciquest is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:48 AM   #10
space1999org
Hydroponics Technician

Default Re: When SPACE: 1999 is "Re-Imagined," Will Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticNut
How would YOU change it, if at all?
To quote the creator of the Eagle, Mr. Brian Johnson, who answered that question for me a couple of years ago:

"Not one bloody thing."

Michael
Space1999.org
space1999org is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 09:05 AM   #11
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Works for me!
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #12
Mark IX Fan
Weapons Technician

While I hate the newly designed Galactica, I must admit that the creators did a pretty good job of re-imagining the Vipers. Much like a car will retain the basci shape but with subtle changes, the new Viper looks like a logical extension of the old design.

I guess the Eagle could be successfully "updated", but I'm hard pressed to find anything I could change about it.

One possible exception....where on earth is there room for ENGINES behind the VTOL thrusters on the bottom of the passenger pod?
Mark IX Fan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:14 PM   #13
tak5haka
Eagle Pilot

Dare I mention this:

Thunderbirds 2086?
tak5haka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:19 PM   #14
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IX Fan
....where on earth is there room for ENGINES behind the VTOL thrusters on the bottom of the passenger pod?
Sssshhh! That's blasphemous talk round these parts!
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:03 PM   #15
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

C'mon boys... you're not asking in the proper place... seriously, do you think anyone in this forum would vote for a radical design change in the Eagle????
akoenig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #16
cricket
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoenig
C'mon boys... you're not asking in the proper place... seriously, do you think anyone in this forum would vote for a radical design change in the Eagle????
"Not I," said the little red hen.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:05 PM   #17
Ron
Travel Tube Technician

I think the re-imagined Galactica and Vipers are pretty cool, but it really wasn't necessary to redesign them... The design was fine the way it was and I guess it was just some art director showing off.

About the Eagles: I wouldn't redesign anything, except that the interior of the cockpit should be updated to make it look a tad more futuristic and up to date.

I probably would add a few more pods, e.g. a pod which can fire rockets and lasers (something they would invent on their journey for self defence), etc.

The retractable landing gear was the original idea, but I heard that the model just looked boring that way, so they left it lowered all the time. I guess the same would apply for an update: I think the idea is great... but would it look great?

The last thing I would change, is that the eagles should look more and more patched up, the longer the series runs... like they did with the vipers. They should look pretty and neat at the beginning, but you should see that they need to fix the eagles with parts from crashed ones and with parts and materials at hand. Not every scratch and bump they pick up on their missions can be fixed in space. At the end, the reamaining eagles should look like patch-work, bruised and battered.

I would also like to see, that the Alphans really retrieve damaged and crashed eagles in the episodes. In the series they just left a lot of hardware (alien and terran) behind, while I always felt they should try to bring as much of it as possible back to Alpha. Their supplies of parts must be really limited after a while in space.

E.g., in Dragon's Domain, they leave a whole eagle (detached cockpit and body), the Ultra Probe and tons of alien spaceships behind... what a waste, if you have limited resources and could profit from new technologies, e.g., long range engines!
Ron is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:46 PM   #18
Moontrekker
Life Support Technician

Okey guys, after reading all your posts here...Ive decided to give it a try and update the eagle slightly. As we say out here in Spain, Im going to "wet" myself in this delicate matter.
This is a crude sketch, came up with it in 10 mins or so. Maybe someone will feel up to designing a full mesh or something.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...lesketch-1.jpg

Well, complaints, moan , groans...anything?
Moontrekker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:19 PM   #19
CR
Science Officer

Looks more like your landing gear rotates rather than retracts, but overall that's a pretty interesting design. Something about the engine assembly looks familiar, but I can't quite place it...
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:09 PM   #20
Moontrekker
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR
Looks more like your landing gear rotates rather than retracts, but overall that's a pretty interesting design. Something about the engine assembly looks familiar, but I can't quite place it...
No, they actually retract backwards, up into a slot, or sort. I think it makes it more aerodinamic.

Ah, the engines...yes there are two main thrusters, the lower ones are smaller. Dunno, thought it could be a change from those bells we got used to.

Now you mentioned it...yeah, mmm sort of ...So many ideas right now
Moontrekker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote