Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > Launch Pad

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 03-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
Roger3d
Life Support Technician

Default 3D Eagles in CRYSIS - the pc game :-)

Hi , I am new here , my 3rd post , first thred

i originate from here -

http://crymod.com/thread.php?threadi...tuser=0&page=1

Crysis is a 35 pc game made by crytek of germany distributed by Ea - its been out since November 07 in your local pc games shop

it comes with a multi million dollar fully featured level editor , call SANDBOX 2 or sb2 for short - it also has a free sdk to download - or software development kit - it is the pc game engine to model a fully working MOONBASE ALPHA on in 3d with fully working hangars and flying Eagles , as well as first person perspective combat in the 3d moonbase corridors itself

here are my Eagles for Crysis , big thanks to this forum for inspiration , particularly - the pod u like competition thred with photos

the models are unskinned - naked , but added to the crysis pc game engine for testing purposes , they will fly as fully functional vtols eventually !

enjoy below

apologises for the copy and paste below

Roger

=============

THE EAGLES HAVE LANDED !

Ok here we go its update time

you can download a screenshot pack from here

http://rapidshare.com/files/119577213/eagles.zip

Firstly the content update was delayed on sunday night due to having to watch the 2 hour season finale of Lost , with my wife on the new 42 inch plasma telly - woot )

anyway onward and upward !

let me introduce to you SPACE 1999 Eagle Transporters for Crysis SB2 editor in 12 flavours - yum )

these models have been worked on over the last 8 weeks , and i intended to only make 3 versions , but it mutated , more on that later

Space 1999 was a sci fi series 1st shown on tv in 1975 , and it was made by the legendary Gerry and Sylvia Anderson sci fi team tv producers , that made childhood fave tv shows - Like Thunderbirds , Stingray , Joe 90 , Captain Scarlet and others

plenty of web info on space 1999 tv show and eagle transporters to search out for those interested )

So why did i build these ?

well firstly i owned Dinky die cast metal eagle transporters as a kid , i actually bought them from a toy shop before the tv series aired ,i was 6 years old ) and i thought the design was something special and iconic back then , and still do !

- as a kid i played with my eagles to death , with my toy soldiers and other vehicles , in my physical sand pit , as a kid , back in the 70's

i had both these Eagles shown here -

a while ago , i came across this pic of eagles on a usa carrier -

so my mind went - Roger you must build these for SB2 editor , and get them on the usa carrier in crysis - so i have )

the Eagles , will fly in game exactly as a Vtol currently does - its not to replace the Vtol - its another fun option with bells on )

Also within the context of my mod idea and storyline , these vehicles give me access to go into orbit / space / and the moon

There is a forum online , devoted to purely Eagle Transporters , i will post the link later - in fact i am off there soon to post over there too

anyway on that forum is a POD U LIKE thred , where enthusiasts have designed additional equipment for the Eagles , that did not appear in the tv show

- they modelled the stuff ,posted photos etc - i liked them so much i decided to 3d model the additional pods from the photos - hence the mutation to 12 vehicle versions of the Eagle Trnsporter

- all 12 are now in SB2 Crysis as below -

A few comments to make about the models
===========================================

It was my intention to make a circa 20000 poly Eagle model - this proved impossible , the shape of the EAGLE is impossible to recreate lower poly

i have modelled very cleanly , no hidden faces , and as low poly as possible , but still create and retain a reasonable shape , particularly for the engines , the nose capsule , and the overall vehicle superstructure

some parts were removed and rebuilt lower poly - note the rocket engine cones etc

the Crysis game engine is more than capable of handling these models - in fact the game engine eats polys for breakfast , no problemo on my pc rig at all !

i have had about 30 eagle models in sb2 , plus a populated island , usa carrier etc - and all is smooth and playable

30 eagles is totally unrealistic for a sp game level , but it was a stress test )

for 3d Eagle purists , you will note that i have removed the strengthening nodules nodes from the spine lattice superstructure to reduce the 3d model poly count ,for the pc game engine

additionally some equipment was not moddeled in the mesh , where the feet supports join - again this was deliberate poly reduction

- this to me makes no difference to the overall look of the Eagles , its a trade off that i am more than happy with )

In conclusion
==============

i am personally very happy with these models and how they turned out ,
please note i am not a sci fi purist re space 1999 , i just love making 3d vehicles of different types

- i make 3d models for myself , for my own personal enjoyment in sb2 editor / Crysis

- i make whatever i want , 3d things that make me personally happy , if other people enjoy and appreciate them too , then thats cool and a big added bonus , but its not the reason i do what i do as my hobby , and it never will be !

Enjoy the visuals of the different 3D Eagle variants below

All the Eagles are fully enterable , the player can run about inside the vehicles and enter the cockpit etc

additionally the player can jump about all over the vehicles -
the Eagles are correctly scaled in sb2 against the player character

The Future ?
===========

I am interested in perhaps building a mini mod 3d level map in the SB2 editor of the moon surface , with a fully featured MOON BASE ALPHA on it , with underground silos , and launch pads , and have the Eagles , flying about and stuff , and having sp battles with possible alien invaders in the corridors of Moon Base Alpha

The level would be gravity in the base , and zero gravity outside !

- if anyone is interested in pursuing this idea with me further , please speak up in thred here or via private message - i am aslo floating this idea on another forum )

so without further ado , here are the Eagle versions

Eagle Chick Hopper
==================

28117 polys

- 2 man fast craft , for covert ops insertion in my mod idea - ideal size for landing in small forest clearing and dropping off an operative

access into craft , via sliding hatch in roof of superstructure

Eagle Chicks
=============

38673 polys

- personal fast vip transports for high ranking officials - generals / admirals in the mod etc

Eagle Spectre Gunship
======================

52706 polys

Armed

- nose mounted gatling / laser gun - pops out of a hatch

pod mounted heavy weapons 2 x gatling / laser guns and rocker launchers

designed to hover or circle over battlefield and provide targetted and devastating fire support in mod

Science Pod Eagle
===================

50549 polys

pod can carry alot of troops and ammo in mod - has a laboratory and airlock on board in tv show

Science pod Booster Rocket Eagle
===================================

58405 polys

fitted with booster rocket pack for longer range and higher speed

Original Eagle Transporter
===========================

43849 polys

from tv show

in mod the tranport pod can carry between 50 to 100 troops in sb2

the pod could be deployed as a mobile comms center or as an equipment and ammo store - or field hospital

Original Eagle Transporter with booster packs
================================================

67127 polys

Extreme long range and high speed variant , with multiple rocket booster packs fitted

Eagle Lorry
=============

57417 polys

elongated Eagle , with a lorry made out of the Eagle nose cockpit and transport pod with moon buggy wheels )

i saw this lorry idea on a fan made video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6awg...eature=related

Transport Eagle with nuclear cannisters
=======================================

50037 polys

from the tv show - radiaoactive waste carrier etc - in mod could be fuel delivery for USA nuclear carrier - or nuke warhead delivery to the fleet

Eagle Winch Pod
================

45681 polys

from tv show - can winch up nuke cannisters etc

- in mod could be used as search and rescue to winch up downed pilot dudes from the sea or in the jungle - or used as heavy lift crane in construction of a base etc

Eagle Vehicle carrier Pod
==========================

47735 polys

my favourite - a suspended vehicle platform , drive your vehicle on , park it , jump in Eagle fly away , land , jump on vehicle drive it off - delivery )

can carry either 4 tanks - or 6 apc's or 9 jeeps each load

Enjoy

Roger :-)
Roger3d is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Haha! Brilliant - you've obviously worked hard on this project. I don't have the sandbox (or even the game) unfortunately but it looks great.

(PS: I hope you supplied them with that link! )
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:32 AM   #3
BrianS
Communications Officer

EXCELLENT work! I LOVE it!
BrianS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:00 AM   #4
cricket
Medical Officer

Okay, I might be a bit biased, but I rather like the Eagle Chick Hopper.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with all these.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Superb work. They really look the deal
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
cmdrkoenig67
Eagle Pilot

OOOOOOH!
cmdrkoenig67 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

Roger3d - check this out:

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=5370
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:05 PM   #8
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

Hi Roger

I just had a quick flick through your Crymod thread - you're gifted, man

Are you planning to release this (and some of your other) mods? That would be awesome
Old 04-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #9
chrisu
Hydroponics Technician

Hi, I'm working on a videogame dedicated to Space 1999 - any chance to get some of these low poly models???

Thx in advance

chrisu
chrisu is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #10
Roger3d
Life Support Technician

thanks everyone for your kind comments and enthusiasm , appreciate that )

i have read the forum here for about 1 month before i first posted a few days ago in the introduction thred for newbies

i hope in the future to make all my 3d models fully usable in the crysis pc game - eagles , hovercraft etc - need to get them fully skinned animated etc - so i hope in the future , we can all play with all the vehicles properly

re the space 1999 pc game , you really need to come over to crysis , and build moonbase alpha in the sand box 2 crysis editor - i can explain more about how it works , and the reason why you should in more detail , if you are interested ?

Roger )

Old 04-06-2008, 02:06 PM   #11
Roger3d
Life Support Technician

crysis needs a medium to high spec pc to run wih a good 3d graphics card

the game costs 35 and you get the sb2 editor for free included , and you download a 500 mb sdk file off the web

then you can use 3dsmax to make objects , vehicles , buildings , people etc - and with a few mouse clicks port them into the game engine to test - as per the pics above

crysis has full physics - water - snow - gravity - zero gravity - terrain builder etc

so making moon base alpha would be easy - moon landscape - zero gravity - inside base - gravity , you can even have the swimming pool fully functioning in base !

ideal map size is 8km square i believe , with millions of polygons on screen- so moonbase - interiors - exteriors - the moon surface and some space to fly around in - no problem - and thats just one level - you could build other levels for other alien world - or earth levels - like Nasa command or ?

crysis is played first person perspective - so you see thru the players eyes - with hands and gun out in front of you - you can jump into vehicles - aircraft - tanks - cars - drive them etc - a real world - so eagles and space buggies no problem

inside moonbase you can run about with weapons - and fight aliens in the corridors and even go underground into installation and hanger bays and have fully detailed and working environments -

say eagles on cranes etc - working landing pads - etc etc

crysis sb2 editor has 1000s of objects in it - eg stairs - railings all sorts of stuff already in - ready to build Alpha !

http://www.space1999.net/~alpha3d/

if we can get permission from this site to use there 3dmax objects in crysis / sb2 editor - as a free non commercial mod - call it MOON BASE ALPHA CRYSIS - we can use all these fantastic 3DS max assets to make Alpha even quicker !

does anyone have an email contact for them ?

Last edited by Roger3d; 04-06-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #12
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

I'm a big fan of Crysis - playing it through for the 2nd time now. Looking forward to hearing more...
Old 04-06-2008, 02:28 PM   #13
chrisu
Hydroponics Technician

I'd prefer to stay at my engine, especially because of the work I've already done - would you though help me out with your models?

chrisu
Old 04-06-2008, 02:50 PM   #14
Roger3d
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisu View Post
I'd prefer to stay at my engine, especially because of the work I've already done - would you though help me out with your models?

chrisu
i am not going to say categorically no - but i was hoping you would see the benefit of crysis

no offence but no way can your hobby pc game engine compete with a multi million dollar top of the tree pc game engine which is crysis - cry engine 2 and the ease of use of the sandbox 2 editor - so my mod is definately focussed on that game engine

also the forum there - and support from the developers - would be invaluable help in making Alpha in sb2 - that in itself is priceless imo !

i would like to see more of what you have done in terms of content - screenshots - models etc - is this on forum to view - ?

i have scan read your 6 page thred etc )

Roger
Old 04-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #15
chrisu
Hydroponics Technician

Well I dont know if MOD just means modifications in the range of crysis and it's surroundings or a fully new game. For my part I'm doing a fully new game with it's own look and feel and features, and so on. Especially when it comes to controlls etc., doin own stuff is far better than to mess around with script-languages or understanding the whole technological background behind crysis and it's engine in the api.
Anyway, I'm not hired for developing this videogame, it's just my fun and my will letting the community participate in the result.
Btw., there will be coming better engines again and again, I would not like - and I guess you won't either - to change the base periodicly.

Cheers Chrisu.

PS: Viewable stuff is on my website as listed in my signature.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #16
Roger3d
Life Support Technician

Thanks for your info

well already in crysis is a vehicle called vtol - it flies like an eagle - has cockpit and outside camera views - all we need to do is swap the 3d model over - and eagles will fly in crysis )

re mod - the crysis mod idea - is a new game - player will have 1999 phaser weapon - uniform in 3rd person camera , and communication thingy - and the moon and alpha - and eagles and buggies - all 3d - true virtual world - true physics so its probly what you invisage and want to do in your head re your game

the game engine crysis exists , and the mod - will be a new game 1999 experience

so thats my target - my idea and what i would like to achieve - if it gets done depends on people - support - and working together to make it - i wish you well with your game - but i know crysis is the right game engine for it - i used to work in the games industry and i have played games for 30 years - so i know my vision is correct both technically and from a 3d view point too )

Roger
Old 04-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #17
chrisu
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger3d View Post
i am not going to say categorically no - but ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger3d View Post
... i wish you well with your game - but i know crysis is the right game engine for it - i used to work in the games industry and i have played games for 30 years - so i know my vision is correct both technically and from a 3d view point too ...
I just asked kindly for the models - not for some kind of general indoctrination and the implication that my approach is completely fu**ed up ...
Therefore a simple NO would have pretty done the job.

I wonder why there are always people thinking that others don't get their stuff right in their own way?
Old 04-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #18
skiffy
Communications Officer

There's a lot of work here Roger3d - well done for getting your meshes into the sandbox.

Having produced and worked on several mods in the past, I know that it can be an awful lot of work to get the whole game engine - video, audio, user interface etc to 'fit' your concept. Hopefully though, since Crysis has the 'frozen' look, you could adapt that to be moonlike. Crysis is a feature packed engine, and I imagine that it's perfectly possible to produce a working 'Alpha'.

I also appreciate Chrisu's point of view - that a 'rawer' engine can be specifically adapted to the content. And of course not everyone has a cutting edge PC. I'm currently developing several concepts for the PC platform, which would need to work on anything from a Pentium 450 housing a TNT2 video card to a modern shader 2 enabled beast.

Again, well done getting this far. I look forward to seeing where this goes.
skiffy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:36 PM   #19
Roger3d
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisu View Post
I just asked kindly for the models - not for some kind of general indoctrination and the implication that my approach is completely fu**ed up ...
Therefore a simple NO would have pretty done the job.

I wonder why there are always people thinking that others don't get their stuff right in their own way?

Chrisu , i am disapointed in your choice of words , and there is no indoctrination needed , i simply explained the proposal to you and everyone else , that is reading , i am new here and i was trying to be polite , honest , and non patronising to you - i am sorry if you feel or took my words other wise !

i give my thoughts and words , my ideas and my concepts alot of consideration before i post or share ideas , so i am certainly not trying to tell you what to do or how to do it , i am merely explaining , what i know and my vision , and what i would like to do re the crysis engine

i am also approaching everyone here as being crysis pc ignorant - i don't know how much each individual here is clued up or not re pc games and crysis modding / sdk . sb2 editor etc !

as i said before i genuinely wish you well with your engine , but for me personally its crysis engine all the way !

Roger

==========

Thankyou Skiffy , i totally agree with your points , i made a point of saying that crysis needs a medium to good spec pc to run well - so its certainly not a game engine for older pc spec machines !

i changed my pc back in sept 07 from an athlon 1900 to a intel core 2 duo e6850 @ 3ghz - a 6 yr old pc upgrade - for crysis and other modern game engines

- but i am a pc gamer a player ,and a collector of games - so upgrades have to occur from time to time - a 6 year upgrade gap was quite good going in retrospect )

Roger

Last edited by Roger3d; 04-06-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:20 AM   #20
Roger3d
Life Support Technician

Its 1 am . i m off to bed in a min , but i am so FRIGGING EXCITED !!!!!

i have just been flying an eagle around the island , with guns and rockets firing , being attacked by nk - mowing down palm trees and doing vtol touch and goes - landing and jumping out of the eagle attacking on foot , getting back in eagle taking back off

its frigging awesome i am sooo excited - gonna get all my vehicles moving now including the hovercraft !!!!

firstly i installed the proper sdk exporter - i made an eagle cga file - used vehicle editor - renamed /cloned the vtol and made it the eagle cga , and voila - we have eagle as a flyable entity with perfect flight and speed - truely awesome fun !

the cockpit pilot view needs adjusting , so does camera angle 3rd person , and the vtol under rockets need placing to match the eagle under rockets - but man what a frigging awesome beast to fly , and what a first test , don't think i am gonna be able to sleep tonight !!!!!!!!

Roger