Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 14-02-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
Spaceace2001
Alphan

Default SPACE 1999 REMAKE

The recent threads on here got me thinking what changes and improvements I'd like to see if Space did get remade as a movie/series..

Given that the overall design of the Eagle and moonbase exteriors would remain essentially unchanged what aspects would you alter? I considered the following;

1. The date, given that when Space was concieved in the early 70's it was set in the near (i.e. 25-30 years) future how about SPACE:2030

2. The costumes, I think these could definitely stand a make over although keeping the colour coded sleeves would be good.

3. Main computer, a huge mainframe producing till receipt printouts is very IBM/70's. Making the Commlocks into bluetooth mini-computers/videophones and providing a more 21stC interface for computer would be interesting. (3-D holograms perhaps?)

4. A more convincing explanation for the moon leaving earth orbit...perhaps replace the meta probe with a stargate/space warp device that is based on the moon and malfunctions zapping the moon accross space. In a series the Alphans could attempt to use the drive to zap themselves home or to within range of a habitable planet.

Any other ideas?....
Spaceace2001 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
Eagle
Commander Ret.

As long as Hollywood didn't touch it, it'd be fine...

Tom Cruise as JK? Don't think so.
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 04:32 PM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

With either Keira Knightley as Russell or Cameron Diaz (no, I'm not serious about the former).
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 04:36 PM   #4
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Natalie Portman would fit in just fine though...
Old 14-02-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
w8cmp
Science Officer

Any of the young ladies above, or alternatively Katie Holmes or any of the following:

Chloe Annet
Gabriel Anwar
Kate Beckinsale
Sandra Bullock
Kirsty Gallacher
Jennifer Garner
Heather Graham
Anne Hathaway
Natasha Henstridge
Natalie Imbruglia
Kristin Kreuk
Denise Richards
Alicia Silverstone
Rachel Weisz

Just for starters...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-02-2006, 04:52 PM   #6
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Is this the beginning of a 'Babe Thread'?...
Old 14-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #7
Capt Steele
Chef

Most of those ladies in a mini skirt would be fine with me

But my big question is, should they start from Breakaway and totally re-do the series, or do a "Next Generation" new series? Ive read spectualtion for both.

I can see points to do eather.
I totally agree, IF it was to be made, keep Hollywood as far away as possible, or else they will turn Maya into Tweeki from Buck Rogers, or Make the Main computer into Brian the Brain with more lines then CK or something even more stupid

As long as Gerry Anderson gets approval on things, maybe it would have a chance.
The whole reason most even think its possible, is because they did a pretty good job on BSG. (which when i first watched, i expected those involved to TOTALLY DESTROY the series compared to the original. If one good remake can be made, then maybe another)

I really think GA should somehow put together a pilot movie for TV, to at least judge if the intrest is even there for a new series, same as BSG did.
We may be rabid fanboys (dont know if they can make a whole show on just the Eagle, hehe) , but is the general public interested ?
Now would be the perfect time to do one, like back then, Star Trek is at an end, at least for the moment.
Capt Steele is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 06:29 PM   #8
Eagle
Commander Ret.

In all honesty, I'd rather not see a remake being produced in any way, shape or form.

No, really.
Old 14-02-2006, 07:05 PM   #9
tak5haka
Eagle Pilot

They could do with actually showing the originals on TV for those of us without the DVDs ... I mean, some of the rubbish they repeat on digital channels - it's about time they showed some classic GA
tak5haka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 08:12 PM   #10
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

I've never really understood the point of making a new film/series of a program because people liked it - but then change it all using the feeble excuse that it needs to be updated!! Tweek the details fine but change the basics and you should have the honesty of calling it a completely new program. Too many films/series are clearly using the claim of being a remake simply to use peoples good will in order to raise money for financing a production thats really a completely different product.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 15-02-2006, 12:38 AM   #11
rlcrosse
Hydroponics Technician

Here is my idea regarding the "moon out of orbit" thing from another thread:

Instead of a nuclear explosion "hurtling the moon out of orbit", have a new Dr. Bergman be experimenting with some sort of "mass displacement" that results in the moon being displaced (by accident) to a new location whenever the mechanism is activated. The gravity well of a planet or star would signal an interruption in the mechanisms function, allowing for exploration, all on a weekly basis, of course. And, naturally, Eagles would be required...
Just a rough idea.
rlcrosse is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 01:37 AM   #12
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

That does sound rather like making Bergman the villain of the piece whether accidental or not. At least in the original, mankind shares the collective blame for dabbling with atomic power. That seems larger scale in concept to me anyway.
Old 15-02-2006, 03:54 AM   #13
Spaceace2001
Alphan

hmmmm... next generation... the moon has been away from earth for 30 years and the Alphans have had children who are now running the show...

That does suggest some very interesting scenarios.... appearances by original cast members as they are now 30 years on alongside a new generation of actors

Eagles (of course) patched up and still running but perhaps with some modifications and impreovements over the last 30 years....

What would 30 years of life on Alpha have done to the inhabitants I wonder?
Spaceace2001 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 06:58 AM   #14
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceace2001
...What would 30 years of life on Alpha have done to the inhabitants I wonder?...
I'd imagine it'd be a cross between a typical scene from The Ninth Configuration and an (un)healthy dose of Cheech & Chong!...
Old 15-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #15
Zoidberg
Chef

I posted in another forum, but I've been working on a writing exercise type of project (i.e., for myself) called SPACE: 2119 for a bit. Fun project, too.
Zoidberg is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 15-02-2006, 10:29 PM   #16
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Q: Do you think Space: 1999 would ever have a chance of returning in this climate of sci-fi retreads/bringbacks (examples in the works: Time Tunnel, Lost in Space, Battlestar Galactica, etc.) whether as a newly designed show or a continuation of the original? And, if so, would you want to participate?

A: I would love to advance Space: 1999 into a future millennium. I could do so much with Digital Imaging to enhance the Visual Effects. I would emphatically not continue the original. When we first started Space, I begged for the concept to be on an Asteroid, large, but not Moon sized and I wanted the Moon to be hit by a monster Asteroid that sprayed the Earth with debris and caused mayhem that way, rather than the stupid atomic trash explosion pushing the moon out of orbit. Why we couldn't stay within the bounds of reasonable science fact for our basic premise I do not know. But then, I was just the visual effects guy.

===

Excerpt from interview with Brian Johnson, Feb 2002 courtesy www.space1999.org.

More at: http://www.space1999.org/features/as...son/index.html

Old 15-02-2006, 10:47 PM   #17
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

There are so many scientific holes in that idea of BJ's, I don't know where to begin not least of which is that the asteroid only has so much energy tied up in it's mass and velocity. Assuming it imparted that energy into the Moon without loss and without the Moon getting mashed, the Moons mass would be so much greater that any velocity it acquired would leave us waiting centuries between episodes. That also assumes that the plot of wandering through the universe is maintained and they don't just stay in Earth orbit.
Old 16-02-2006, 01:45 AM   #18
rlcrosse
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX
That does sound rather like making Bergman the villain of the piece whether accidental or not. At least in the original, mankind shares the collective blame for dabbling with atomic power. That seems larger scale in concept to me anyway.
Naivete' was apparently the cause of the nuclear accident in the original series, shared by all who saw the disposal of nuclear waste in the manner proscribed as an option. I never really looked at it in an environmental manner. Did they ever really take the tack that dabbling with atomic power was a no-no, or was it just a plot point?
The scenario I mentioned is one that provides a more updated plot point. If not Bergman, then someone else. No villain need be created, just the good idea gone wrong.
rlcrosse is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 02:14 AM   #19
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

You have to think of the series in context. It was made in the mid seventies when a huge debate was going on in the UK about nuclear power stations and the radio active waste they created. The pro side were very pro saying essentially "we can handle it" but there was still much concern from a large proportion of the public. I don't think the series was trying to make any comment about the issue but it did provide a suitable background for the story that automatically was of interest to the audience. There's also something refreshing about the fact that mankind should not be so arrogant as to assume it knows all the answers, a lesson that many still fear is relevant today in respect of enviromental issues. You can never plan for the unexpected.

The idea of dumping nuclear waste on the moon is still an interesting and believeable idea in my opinion but now tempered by the advantage of hindsight we have that what we thought my come to pass in the mid seventies now seems much further away. I also like the fact that the series "keeps it real" (sort of) rather than going geeky and falling into trek technobabble solutions. On the whole, the series was driven by characters using limited technology rather than finding a technological solutions to each problem.

For the purposes of discussion, I have gleefullly put season two out of mind as it has nothing to say.
Old 16-02-2006, 04:57 AM   #20
Capt Steele
Chef

One Word - WormHole or is that two words? hehe

WHs are all the rage right now. No need to blow up anything, if some way to open a WH up and just suck the moon outward every episode, LIS fashion,
or just shoot it out somewhere else at a tremendous speed, starting it out on its long journey.
That would even work for an asteroid.
Maybe combine the two ideas, Bergman heads up the research department creating a WH to stop an asteroid heading to earth, sending it out into deep space, instead, the moon goes with it, after an over load opens the WH bigger then expected, or, changing the gravity in that area of space, pulling the moon into it. Some screw up creating the disaster

Whatever, you get the idea.

They even used space warps/wormholes in the original series.

Save the Nuclear Piles for an episode plot in a few shows, besides, i would hope they could convert some of that waste for fuel, they would need it to run everything from the base itself, to the fuel for the ships.
Capt Steele is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote