Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 15-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Default MEV models underway.

Just thought I share a WiP picture or two of the MEV kits with you.

One of the MEV kits was very well cast and need only marginal cleaning up before assembly, the other one unfortunately was a right bugger, the right front end of the lower section of the body was badly miscast and had a huge hole where the corner should have been, plenty of cleaning up and Milliput was needed to rectify it.

Link to pictures. http://www.tnthobbies.co.uk/benchcam.htm

I still need to drill out a load of small holes to pin all of the parts, (around 72 on each MEV), before I look at painting the model.

More pictures as I have them.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Two!!! One isn't enough!!!!

At least tell me your going to make the "Thunderbirds are Go" and the "Captain Scarlet" versions.

Some people get all the luck...

(Shaking his head... Two!!! )
Alpha's last child is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Unfortunately both of the MEV kits are not mine, the Thunderbirds are Go version is my MEV, the Captain Scarlet version is off the Holland when I have finished it.

I was just optomising my time by working on both kits at the same time.
Old 25-02-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
TonyB
Forum Supporter

I have added another WiP picture of the two MEV builds.

http://www.tnthobbies.co.uk/benchcam.htm

I am getting on pretty well now after the little problem that I encountered early on in the week with the white paint reacting with the metallic blue paint, and forcing me to strip both models back down to the primer and start over. Hopefully they will be fully finished within the next few day's or so.
Old 25-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Tony

Looking really good.

Beware of the decals though. On certainly the first batch released the word Martian is spelled wrongly with the A and the I transposed. Because the decal is white on white I did not notice until after I had sealed the whole model and it was a pain to rectify.

I spoke to Tony who promised to rectify the situation and send me a replacement decal sheet but that never happened, so I don't know if subsequent kits had the correct spelling. Of course this is only relevant for your Captain Scarlet version.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-02-2006, 01:48 PM   #6
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Keith thanks for the heads up on the decal sheet problem.

To be honest I hade not really looked that closely at them, assuming that everything was as it should be. However, as you say it only really matters for the Capatain Scarlet version.

Hold on a minute and I will go and check the two sets of decal sheets, BRB.......

Bloody hell, guess what, two sets of decal sheets and both of them have the incorrect spelling of Martian.

This kit has proved to be a bit of a cock up for Bill, many of the kits sent out have had incorrect parts in them, or just had missing parts, both of these had missing bits in them, only one set of undercarriage doors, missing track sections, two of the same grill type rather than one of each, that type of thing, and now the decal sheet problem.

What on earth has happened to quality control here, he never used to be as bad as this with his kits.
Old 25-02-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Must admit my MEV seemed to come with all the correct bits. Though I have to say it never occurred me to spell check the decals! And I noticed too late. I had to scrape of the offending letters and try and cobble something together with strips of white Letraset. Less than perfect but I dirtied it down so it wasn't so obvious.

I've got most of his kits (not familiar with who he is), and the only problem I have is with his decals. Unfortunately they are printed out fairly low resolution and when you look closely you can see the jagged edge. He obviously composes them in the PC, but if only he would make them at 200-330dpi instead of what looks like 72 dpi, they would print out far better.

Keith
Old 25-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #8
TonyB
Forum Supporter

I have met him a couple of times, he is a really nice chap. In fact I stood across from him as a dealer at the last Fanderson convention held in Coventry in 2003 as he had a stall selling some of his old models and some brand new ones, (the 1/48th Angel Interceptor), where I manged to get one of his old 1/48th scale Sky 1 models which was fully finished. That particlur Sky 1 model was limited to only 50 pieces when he originally produced it in the mid 1980s, and the one I have was one of only 10 that he actually finished in the correct colour, and even better than that, I got it at a bargain basement price, I was well pleased with that purchase I can tell you. It was a good convention all round as we made lots of money selling our models and dioramas.

From what I can remember he used to produce kits under the name SHED. The decal sheets I recieved for the two 1/48th Angel Interceptors I have were really good quality, although I cannot speak for any of his other kits, last time I spoke to him he was using an Alps printer to get the metallic finish for the decals. I have the aformentioned Angel Interceptor, (they both need finishing off), the MEV, and the Type 3 Laser Tank, I am considering getting the SID kit as well as I really fancy that one.
Old 25-02-2006, 05:23 PM   #9
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Ah, he ran SHED. I've still got the TB3 and UFO models from that era.

Hadn't realised that he had once produced a Sky 1. You lucky thing!

I've built the Angel, TB1, Elevator Car and obviously the MEV. Also built SID, which I would really recommend - excellent kit (as are they all). Still got the Spectrum Hovercraft and the lunar tank to build. You can see photos ogf most of these on my web site.

http://www.keithmcneill.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Would definitely recommend SID though!

Keith
Old 25-02-2006, 07:48 PM   #10
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Already been there and looked mate, very nice selection of models, and well photgraphed too.

Do you know I had forgotten that I had built a UNCL Spectrum Hovercraft model until you mentioned it, it was nice kit to build, hardly any cleaning up needed doing IIRC.

There are some pictures of WiP on the same page as the MEV models, the Captain Scarlet MEV is going to the same person in Holland that I built the Spectrum Hovercraft for.

Pictures of the finished model can be seen on this page, just scroll down the page a little bit, http://www.tnthobbies.co.uk/anderson3.htm

I am definately going to have to get a SID model now having seen yours.

Old 25-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #11
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Thanks very much for your comments!

And thanks also for the link. Must say the hovercraft looks brilliant. I'll get round to it one day. The guy is a good pattern maker - I've always been impressed with his kits.

I was talking to Tony at the IPMS Nationals in November at Telford and asked what he was going to do next. I suggested the Spectrum Passenger Jet but Tony said that that was never going to happen. Don't know why. But I assume the Explosive Truck from Joe 90 advertised on the Comet site is the next one.

Also I see you like snow dioramas too. Always think some of the best effects were snow scenes in Scarlet.

Keith
Old 26-02-2006, 11:35 AM   #12
TonyB
Forum Supporter

He is currently working on the War of the Worlds Martian, (or should that be Martain ), Collecting Machine and War Machine/Thunderchild diorama kits, they should be about done now as Tony had to take the masters of both around to Jeff Wayne's place late on last year to get final approval for them.

Snow, yup did loads of snow diorama's, especially on Scarlet subjetcs as you may just have gathered.

I never bothered with one of the Hovercraft kits for myself, but having looked at it again I am now pinning for one of my own, typical.
Old 26-02-2006, 01:19 PM   #13
w8cmp
Science Officer

I've got this somewhere to build - will probably end up in the Hovercraft Museum on display in the 'Fantasy Craft' section...at least it gets me over the 'where to store it once built' problem

Chris
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:59 PM   #14
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Good news indeed, both MEV models are completely finished, I completed them late on Saturday afternoon, thank the Lord nothing else went wrong.

Pictures will be posted when I can get round to taking some.
Old 28-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #15
TVC21
Life Support Officer

Tony, would you like to exhibit the MEV at the con? We will hopefully have a five foot Z X, the MEV would look cool displayed with it. Chris
TVC21 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-06-2006, 11:02 AM   #16
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Yeah Chris that would be great, if you think it good enough for and want it for the exhibition then just let me know, I will be down at the con from early Saturday morning until Monday morning. BTW is the 5 foot ZX Davids.

I do have a couple of other models/figures if they are of interest to you.

Here are a links so you can go and have a look.

http://www.tnthobbies.co.uk/UFOAlien.jpg
http://www.tnthobbies.co.uk/UFOAlien2.jpg
http://www.tnthobbies.co.uk/Resin12inchLtGayEllisA.jpg
http://www.tnthobbies.co.uk/StingrayTerrorFish.jpg
http://www.tnthobbies.co.uk/StingrayX20Sub.jpg
http://www.tnthobbies.co.uk/UFOSky1HH1.JPG

None of them are particualy large pieces, if any of them are of interest to you then give me a shout.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:03 AM   #17
TVC21
Life Support Officer

Hi Tony, left you a pm, Chris
Old 02-07-2006, 09:04 PM   #18
TVC21
Life Support Officer

Hi Tony, don`t know why the pm didn`t work, was basically saying would love the Terrorfish and X20 sub too, if poss. Best, Chris
Old 02-07-2006, 09:40 PM   #19
Barrington Bond
Astrophysics Technician

Talking about the SID model it is lovely but I find his "eyes" are a tad too small in my humble opinion.

Hopefully helpfully,
Barry
Barrington Bond is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:49 PM   #20
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Hadn't noticed before, but I've just checked and you're right enough! They are a bit too small. Too late to rectify that now!

Interesting site

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicl...hadoSIDTop.htm

Keith