Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 21-06-2008, 10:48 PM   #1
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Default AIRFIX "Welcome Aboard " Tardis Kit

I finally picked up the AIRFIX "Welcome Aboard " Tardis and Doctor figure kit(s) set today after umming and aahing since it's release and I must admit , first impressions are pretty good . I was surprised to find the heads, hands and feet of both the Doctor and Martha figures are cast in a vinyl-like material instead of the polystrene of the rest of the kit . This means the likeness of the headsculpts is very good ( the Doctor more so than his companion ) and the detail of the castings is sharp and crisp ( especially the hair of both heads ). The kit features light and sound effects, but as I don't have any batteries at the moment , I can't comment on the effectiveness of these features . Another feature which pleasantly surprised me was the inclusion of 12 paints and 3 brushes , which initially didn't interest me, but on inspection of the ( very good) instruction booklet it dawned on me that the painting instructions are pretty well thought out and if the paints are of a decent quality then they're a worthwile inclusion . I'll most likely use them ( and the brushes) as I'm taking a "low-tech" approach to building this kit , that is , no airbrush work , no "super-detailing" or any of the usual malarky , I'm just going at it straight from the box because this model is going to take pride of place on my lad's "Doctor Who shelf" and I intend to have it done in a week or so of "relaxed modelling" !( Yeah right !) After all , I think that's the intention behind this release , it's not some "high-end" model , it's a Doctor Who model for God's sake !
Anyhow , if anyone has any experience of this kit worth sharing , let me know as I'll no doubt keep you all informed of my progress .
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 01:18 AM   #2
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

This may be a stupid question: you say the heads, etc are made from a 'vinyl-like material' - it's not the soft plastic Airfix toy soldiers were moulded in? Will it take paint? I remember trying to paint some Airfix figures as a kid, and the paint just flaked off.
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 03:21 AM   #3
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Me too. Spent hours painting HO/OO Germans and Brits, and well ... the rest is flaky history. Photos of your build up when you can
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Try here:

http://cs.finescale.com/forums/951177/ShowPost.aspx
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
TonyB
Forum Supporter

I intend to get hold of this set for myself, I may even have a commission to build two more of them for other people, still working on the details of that one at this point though.

The Dalek set that I keep hearing rumors about sounds interesting too.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 22-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
w8cmp
Science Officer

There were some aftermarket decals available for this set primarily for Martha's tattoo & pattern on her top - I got some myself, as well as the artwork for printing my own.

I'll dig out the contact details if anyone's interested.

Chris
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Chris that would be good thanks.
Old 22-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #8
w8cmp
Science Officer

They were available from "jimjames2001 at hotmail.com"

If you send him an e-mail he may be able to assist...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #9
Guest01
Alphan

what size are the tardis and the figures?
Guest01 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #10
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

They work out at about 1/12 scale(?). Unfortunately , my build is on hold as I've discovered my Doctor has two left hands . ( So much for the quick build!)

Old 23-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #11
TonyB
Forum Supporter

1/12th, I had thought that they were to 1/10th scale, but that may just have been poor memory on my part.

The Dalek Encounter kit sounds rather good with a Dalek opened up revealing the inside of one of them. There is also a set entitled Gridlock, and a Kylie figure with Titanic coming out in in the autumn too.
Old 23-06-2008, 09:36 PM   #12
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

You're probably right TonyB . I guessed at 1/12 from the size of the heads and hands , I've taken nothing else off the sprues . The Dalek kit does indeed look good .
Old 25-06-2008, 08:36 PM   #13
Styrofoam_Guy
Life Support Technician

Anything else wrong with the kit? I won one on ebay but then the seller said there were problems with the kits they got and they had to wait for replacement parts.
Styrofoam_Guy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #14
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Now you mention it , I've had to contact Hornby customer care due to my Doctor figure having two left hands! Still waiting for a reply after two days .
Old 26-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #15
TonyB
Forum Supporter

I now have two of the kits, I picked one up yesterday from the Samaritans for 8.00 still sealed, my what a bargain .

My mate who I share the workshop with brought me one from the wholesalers this morning, heh I forgot to let him know that I picked up the cheap one, anyway no problem as I will build both and sell on the other fully completed diorama.

Old 26-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #16
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
I now have two of the kits, I picked one up yesterday from the Samaritans for 8.00 still sealed, my what a bargain
A bargain indeed. A local retailer wants $95 Aust for it - that's about 45, or $90 US.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #17
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Well , I managed to make a start on the Tardis set . (Still waiting for a replacement hand) . Some reviews I've read of the kit have pointed out that the construction of the Tardis itself can be hampered by poorly fitting parts , but I found quite the opposite ! What I will say though , is that paying close attention to the instruction book at this point pays dividends because although the parts look alike ,they aren't . ( Maybe this is the source of the rumours of bad fitting parts ). Anyway , I had no problem with the basic construction and soon the familiar contours of the Tardis were taking shape . No filler was needed and next I undercoated/primed with a can of Halfords Satin Black . My idea , as I don't intend to use the airbrush , was to use the black basecoat as a pre-shading coat and then to "mist-coat" the blue over this . As I had a spare can of Humbrol Acrylic "French Blue" , this is what I used . ( This colour is a pretty good match , though in photos it looks a little too light ). I was pleased with the results I got and after a couple of washes with a dark blue/grey mix , the texture and shading on the surface was brought out nicely . The clear window parts were masked off and sprayed with the same blue spray can . I must admit , this job was a little rushed and the results reflected this ! But , I reasoned that I could get round this when I treated the windows to a couple of grimy washes . I think I got away with it . ( just!) The back of the windows got a misting of white from another spray can . At this point I made the decision not to utilise the opening compartment for the phone as I didn't have the reference to paint it accurately and the fitting of the opening door was a little TOO loose and rather obvious . The working light and sound feature works a treat though and although the top section fits a little loosely , it's not enough to really cause concern . That's it so far and it must be said , I'm really enjoying this build . Within the space of a few hours , I've got a respectable looking replica on the go and I'm looking forward to the next stage , the Tardis interior!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #18
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Cool as

"At this point I made the decision not to utilise the opening compartment for the phone as I didn't have the reference to paint it accurately and the fitting of the opening door was a little TOO loose and rather obvious"

Can you explain this a little further. Is this something you access from outside extra to the opening door for the interior?
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #19
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Sorry Tony , the panel to the left of the door ( the one with the white notice on ), opens up a boxed off compartment which contains a telephone . There's nothing wrong with this feature , the phone is quite o.k , but as can be quite common on this type of thing , the opening panel is quite "obvious" and toy-like . With minimal work it could be made to look pretty effective , but as I'm building this kit "from the box" and I'm not overly bothered about this feature, I can live without it .
Old 02-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #20
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

I found these pictures of Ms Agyeman's tattoo for anyone who fancies hand-painting the design. Apparently the Farsi script means 'free'.

I have retained a copy of the picture on the left for... er... future reference.