Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 27-06-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
ostrein
Communications Officer

Default 12" Ultra Probe - Dimensions needed

The Ultra Probe ship is one of the big points on my "to-do" list.
I sourced many pictures and so, also there're brilliant Ultra Probe images on the 2006 Eagle Meet DVD. Still I'm having problems getting the right dimensions of it.

Has anyone a Ultra Probe ship and can tell me please the basic dimensions so that it will work with James Small's Ultra Probe CM?
If I can get at least the three different diameters of the pipes used to build the hull and tanks, this would help a lot.
What tubes and cones could be used?

Any information would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Oliver (ostrein)
ostrein is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The proportions of the two original studio models of the whole ship differ quite a bit as do the details. Unless you pick a specific one to work from, within reason, anything goes.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 01:45 AM   #3
Big Rab
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrein View Post
The Ultra Probe ship is one of the big points on my "to-do" list.
I sourced many pictures and so, also there're brilliant Ultra Probe images on the 2006 Eagle Meet DVD. Still I'm having problems getting the right dimensions of it.

Has anyone a Ultra Probe ship and can tell me please the basic dimensions so that it will work with James Small's Ultra Probe CM?
If I can get at least the three different diameters of the pipes used to build the hull and tanks, this would help a lot.
What tubes and cones could be used?

Any information would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Oliver (ostrein)
DX said (on another thread) that the frame work for the UP was in the same scale as the Eagles.
But i too would be grateful for any extra information and dimensions as well
Old 28-06-2008, 02:26 AM   #4
CR
Science Officer

I'm also eventually going to build an Ultra Probe ship to go with the SAW Ultra Probe CM. Using screen grabs (particularly the one of the UP docked to the Dragon Ship, with Eagles alongside for size reference), I'm going for an approximation of size & proportion, with detailing to be something that 'looks right' compared to behind the scenes pics of the models. Would be nice to know for certain just how big a diameter to make the long cylinders on the forward & aft sections of the ship, but oh, well.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 02:31 AM   #5
Big Rab
Forum Supporter

CR,
I think we are going to have to start a petition to get some dimensions from a certain,, , , , , "you know who"

Old 28-06-2008, 03:16 AM   #6
CR
Science Officer

Uh, yeah, good luck with that.

Actually, I'm not too concerned, precisely because of the fact that two different models (three, including the large-scale CM) were used in the episode, so a 'replica' on our part would have to either be one of those, or else an amalgam of those. I'm going for the amalgam.

Just sayin'.
Old 28-06-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

To get you started, the1/96th scale (which equates to an 11" Eagle) is made from mostly 1" diameter EMA and the main body is 2 1/2" diameter. Not including end caps or elliptical heads, the front tanks are 150mm long and the rear tanks are 112mm long. The main body without the conical front or rear is 180mm long. All the framework is wire reinforced 1/16th EMA pipe with the equivalent EMA tee pieces joining it all together.

There's also a famous profile shot of the five footer in the 1999 edition of Sci Fi and Fantasy magazine.

If anyone actually starts building one and gets stuck, let me know.

Last edited by DX-SFX; 28-06-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 28-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
ostrein
Communications Officer

Thanks for these information

Now I have what i need to get started with this project.

Thanks a lot
ostrein is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #9
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I have a small personal interest in not giving too much away but I don't mind getting people started. Once you get the ball rolling, it starts building itself anyway. Knocking a few rough drawings together first will get you 99% of the way there. Nearly all of it is EMA components.

Last edited by DX-SFX; 28-06-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 28-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
Big Rab
Forum Supporter

Totally understand DX, as a professional model builder, you obviously can’t give too much away; it would be like shooting yourself in the foot… . . .

We are all very grateful for the help and nudges in the right direction that you have and constantly still do give us.

Old 28-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #11
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Thanks for the understanding.

Here's another of the smallest UP CM that shows how the proportions varied between models. As mentioned, this remains largely untouched from it's filmed condition.

Last edited by DX-SFX; 29-06-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 29-06-2008, 11:35 AM   #12
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

This photo is a great illustration of just how "rough as guts" some of these models were, yet they look so good in the shots. A real testament to the skill of all involved in putting in getting the models and the shots together.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #13
Guest01
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
To get you started, the1/96th scale (which equates to an 11" Eagle) is made from mostly 1" diameter EMA and the main body is 2 1/2" diameter. Not including end caps or elliptical heads, the front tanks are 150mm long and the rear tanks are 112mm long. The main body without the conical front or rear is 180mm long. All the framework is wire reinforced 1/16th EMA pipe with the equivalent EMA tee pieces joining it all together.

There's also a famous profile shot of the five footer in the 1999 edition of Sci Fi and Fantasy magazine.

If anyone actually starts building one and gets stuck, let me know.
another fantastic ship
Guest01 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 04:57 AM   #14
CR
Science Officer

Many, many thanks, DX, for your helpful photos & insights. (The tubes I'm using for my UP are about 1" in diameter, so it looks like my own research got pretty close to the real thing, for that size model, at least!)

I have to second what DX said about making sketches first, just to get a rough idea of size & proportion. Plus, you can scale up the sketches & make cut-out patterns first, before cutting plastic & potentially wasting that.

Last edited by CR; 30-06-2008 at 05:04 AM. Reason: typo