Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 27-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
eagle44
Astrophysics Technician

Default 44" Buggy.

I've just received the 44" Buggy moulding from Daz / Phil, really quite pleased with it .
Therefore I wondered if the "Knowing Ones" had any info about the balloon tyres..if they are from an original retailed kit ?, or maybe a complete original from the builders hands ?, and maybe the Yellow colour info ?.
Im just interested that's all, hope others are also.
Evening to all, Cheers Ian. "eagle44"
eagle44 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

When I had an opportunity to examine the original, the wheels appear to have been simply turned in wood and the tread pattern is strips of tape or paper stuck on.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
eagle44
Astrophysics Technician

Thankyou DX , (hope you're well).
Regards as always..Ian. "eagle44"
Old 28-06-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
Big Rab
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
....... the wheels appear to have been simply turned in wood and the tread pattern is strips of tape or paper stuck on.
It always amazes me how these guys cheated us with models and effects on these shows.

Its all just sticky tape, smoke and mirrors. . . but it looked (and still does looks so good)
Old 28-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
sliuman
Forum Supporter

I have one of these as well and it's not a bad little casting, I like it a lot. Even the crack where the original appears to have been broken and the outlines of the insignia are visible. And it all matches perfectly with the close-up shots available on another thread here of the original from its new owner. (Thanks!)

I had always assumed that the buggy was based on the Banana Splits model kit, but after comparing photos of the two, there are a number of differences. I guess the Moon Buggy was hand-made in the Bray shop.

There are a couple of holes that should be easy to back up with card and also resin balls in places but a scrape with a fingernail and the back of a scalpel blade had them sorted.

I may attempt to get some tube and rod to make the wheels turn, except they're a bit hard to get in HK when you can't find a stockist! Any pointers to what sizes I need?

I bought this at 50 BIN and thought it good value then. It dropped briefly to 35 BIN -- but it now starts at that price. Still, it can't be beat and it's as close to an original piece of Space: 1999 as I'm liable to get!

Cheers to Daz and Phil.
sliuman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #6
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Default Moon Buggy

I owned ALL the various Moon Buggys at one time or another....incl. the full size one, and can tell you that each were painted in different shades of yellow.........personally I'd go Banana.....splits that is of course ...if you get my meaning! LOL
Phil Rae
deraenged is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
eagle44
Astrophysics Technician

Default bananas-are-go !

Sincere words "sliuman" ,
The same could be said for the 22CM casting, the original details show up on that one too, worth getting if money allows, and the 11" is a bizzare little thing, no details at all...they were all painted on !.
So the moonbuggy colour, just bought Ford Signal Yellow, appears garish..but anything similar would be okay'ish .

And Phil..stop making us jealous..I suppose being in the right place at the right time helped ? .

Cheers again all, Ian."eagle44".

ps, anymore interesting e-bay items coming up Phil ?.

-------------------Space 1999---------------
Old 28-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Here's a quick tip, if anyone is putting one of these together, set the axles as low into the body as you can to give clearance between the top of the wheels and body. It can be a bit tight.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
Senmen
Astrophysics Technician

Hey Phil,
great to see you more often in here.

Cheers
Oliver (senmen)
(your proud Shado Mobile owner)
Senmen is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
sliuman
Forum Supporter

There's a casting of the 22cm version available? Eek, my aching wallet (actually my credit card!).

For the size that would be a nice one to have, but the 12cm version is really pleasing on the eye proportionally. Probably another reason I like it so much.

But who knows, if I could get one I might change my mind!

Oops Eagle44, just realised you meant the 22in Command Module. Got confused thinking there was a version of the 22cm buggy!

Last edited by sliuman; 28-06-2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: mistaken identity
sliuman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #11
Hawk
Communications Officer

I got a resin kit for a buggy off of eBay recently that is sized to the 23" Eagle. I haven't done anything but clean it to try to get rid of the horribly oily smell of the release agent (mixed success), patch a few little holes, and sand down a few rough edges. Waiting for a weekend when I have enough time to really pay attention to it.

I have not spent a lot of time with it, to be honest, but my first impressions are that it is fairly accurate.
Hawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #12
eagle44
Astrophysics Technician

Default Buggy-off.

DX hi again ,
Luckily the moulded stubs are almost at the lowest point on the belly plate, I will file 3 half round grooves across the botom and replace with brass rod, if it's still tight i'll dremel out the undersides of the sponsons..might even make it a roller ?, real steering is a no-no !.
The tyres were soaked in Acetone this morning to remove the tacky stuff, nice solid resin now, and the footwell will be replaced maybe tommorrow.

Yes..the length of the eagle / Buggy "sliuman" , the Buggy is in scale with the 44", the 22CM is from..yada..yadau, the smallest one I think is from a 11".

Check here for info on the / my 22" Phil Rae special....
http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=5410

and here for the real deal....
http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...2meagle12.html

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...2meagle4p.html

------------------------------------
Old 28-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #13
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Default Moon Buggy

Just a qick remark...all the wheels on the original buggy don't turn properly due to them binding with the main body above.
Phil Rae
PS: I understand having a user ID, but why don't you guys use your real names when posting messages? I guess the taxman must be after you.....or maybe the NHS cos we're all loony tunes...LOL!
Old 28-06-2008, 03:01 PM   #14
eagle44
Astrophysics Technician

Default Buggy-ye-off

Phil..good day mate ,
Main body is all clean now, I have resurfaced the tyre / wheel backs..and now off to drill out the centres, "we'll see if they won't turn..god damn you" ...

On the other subject..can't understand why "I" didn't sign off that last message, but I would agree with you Phil, misunderstandings etc have been seen on that very subject.. including myself actually.

Hip-hip-hooray for insanity , plastic models I tell you

Cheers until drilled....Ian "eagle"

----------------------
Old 28-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #15
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Default moon buggy

Hi Ian,
Good luck with the wheels....guess it depends where the axles are
Phil
PS: why are you on the forum when you've modelling to do!

Old 28-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #16
eagle44
Astrophysics Technician

Default Cheeky Buggy

Indeed, tis me..Ian Hello Phil , Shed outside..computer inside..time to type is now.
The drilling is done..and I wonder Phil..if maybe you let me have your best one (so far)..as they all look to be well round in the going round department , however I will admit it is a bit up and down..in parts , but no binding at all , I have to get the shafts straight though or else the up and down bit..will be more pronounced..and the round and round situation will be...destroyed forever .

I digress, It's great to have you on the Forum Phil, a seriously well informed chap on Anderson Matters , many others are here as well, but your the new boy here..so get in line ..and keep them e-bay bit's a-comin mate .

Off drilling again, cheers for now...Ian "eagle44"

--------------------------------------------------
Old 28-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #17
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Default moon buggy

The original moon buggy was made especially for the show....the Banana Splits kit is similar but there are differencies....they also cost a bomb when I've seen them occasionaly on Ebay.
When I had the original there was damage to the cockpit control panel which is reflected in the mould.....otherwise it's pretty clean, and unlike the Ultra probe was in good shape.
Cocerning the colour of this small one it was rather a "limey" (greeny) yellow
I also have the following castings in the works.
44 inch Eagle Nose cone....if I get a good price on the casting.
44 inch scale Exiles "coffin".
44 inch scale Small air supply device...last sunset I think?
11 inch scale Ultra Probe CM
"Small" Moonbase Interceptor from UFO
22in Eagle pod
22in eagle main engines
22in eagle side pods
22in eagle complete master CM from Space Models
More inexpensive model parts
Phi Rae
Old 28-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #18
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Default Moon Buggy

Hi Ian
Thanks for your comments, but although I have the moulds / casts I've not yet done one myself....guess it's years of having the original...but I've no time!....do you fancy building one for me in trade?
Phil
Old 28-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #19
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraenged View Post
Phi Rae
Hi Phil. Which Eagle beak will this be cast from? An original Eagle (1,2 or 3) or a copy? Do you know yet if it will it be a solid or a hollow resin cast ?

Last edited by 29390; 24-12-2008 at 12:31 AM.
29390 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #20
eagle44
Astrophysics Technician

Default Buggy-me

I think your getting me confused with a half decent model builder Phil ,
I will gladly put one together for you mate, but I have no means of recasting..so if you would like to send another one in bits some time..I will do my very best for you, you could even send it with..the..um..Knopfler head..oh dear what did I do that for , got confused..thought i'd bought something else..et-voila..too late.

Some interesting stuff in that pipeline Phil, get it unblocked and surge forward, could try sending some cheap petrol down it to Guernsey too , I think you can expect more interested queries soon Phil, putting that list on this forum ...they'll be coming out of the woodwork like like rats out of an aquaduct .

Onwards..and upwards as space ships do at launch, cheers for now..Ian. "eagle44".

ps, thankyou as always for the information Phil, much appreciated..Ian.

-----------------------------------------

The original moon buggy was made especially for the show....the Banana Splits kit is similar but there are differencies....they also cost a bomb when I've seen them occasionaly on Ebay.
When I had the original there was damage to the cockpit control panel which is reflected in the mould.....otherwise it's pretty clean, and unlike the Ultra probe was in good shape.
Cocerning the colour of this small one it was rather a "limey" (greeny) yellow
44 inch scale Exiles "coffin".
44 inch scale Small air supply device...last sunset I think?
11 inch scale Ultra Probe CM
"Small" Moonbase Interceptor from UFO
22in Eagle pod
22in eagle main engines
22in eagle side pods
22in eagle complete master CM from Space Models
More inexpensive model parts
Phi Rae

---------------------------------