Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Another Time, Another Place - Classic British Film and Television Discussions

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 30-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
BrianS
Communications Officer

Default The new Number Two...

Apparently ITV1 and AMC are doing a remake of 'The Prisoner', which will star Jim Caviezel as Number Six and Sir Ian McKellen as the new Number Two.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...rss&feed=media

NUMBER SIX

THE NEW NUMBER TWO

Last edited by BrianS; 02-07-2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: replace lost image
BrianS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
cricket
Medical Officer

Hmm... Well, the choice of actors is interesting and potential.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:42 AM   #3
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Interesting. Talented blokes, both of them.

Last time I heard about this, Chris Eccleston's name was linked to the project.
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
cricket
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kane View Post
Last time I heard about this, Chris Eccleston's name was linked to the project.

Oooooh... now that would pique my interest!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Sorry, Cricket: 'I have it from a source very close to Chris that he is not up for the role of Number Six, and nobody has approached him about playing the part, which is also being confirmed by his agent.'

http://www.sixofone.org.uk/Prisoner-Remake.htm

Old 01-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #6
cricket
Medical Officer

Rats.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
evapodman
Hydroponics Technician

Default Prisoner remake

Why, why,why why ,why,why??????? Another remake of a classic series that will taint the memory and efforts of those who made it what it was. Look for more special effects, explosions, etc. and poor writing.
evapodman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

It needs to be very well cast because Number Six needs to be single minded, resourceful, defiant, determined and principled. I quite liked the fact that Patrick McGoohan insisted that although his character would look after a damsel in distress, he would not let the character get into a clinch with any of them. It's funny watching the series again recently how even more relevant it seems to be in todays atmosphere of Big Brother.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
evapodman
Hydroponics Technician

Default Prisoner series

I bought for myself the special edition of The Prisoner series for Christmas and grokked it over the holidays. I saw stuff I hadn't seen in forty years and a lot of stuff that I had never seen or known about.

One thing that impressed me was that with the limited budget they had, they had to concentrate on the story, something that seems to be lacking in a lot of shows today. Just cover gaping holes in the plot with a special effect or explosion.

I'm sure that at The Prisoner fan sites the battle lines have been drawn and they will get fierce as any new episode will be dissected and critiqued by the loyal fans.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #10
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evapodman View Post
One thing that impressed me was that with the limited budget they had, they had to concentrate on the story, something that seems to be lacking in a lot of shows today. Just cover gaping holes in the plot with a special effect or explosion.

At the time it was made The Prisoner was one of the most expensive TV shows produced - but obviously they didn't have access to the technology that there is today. You're right though, the technical limitations of the time meant that a strong story was far more important. I get the feeling from what I've heard about the new version, that it will take a serious approach to the concept - but without the emphasis on cold war politics.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #11
evapodman
Hydroponics Technician

Default The Prisoner

You are right that the original show was one of the most expensive ones at the time ( mere pennies by todays standards). But the thing that sent the budget skyrocketing was the cost of on site shooting at the seaside resort that was used for the village.

The site was relatively isolated requiring hours of travel by train and car to reach. Figure the cost of transporting crew, actors, equipment and having to house and feed them for the weeks of filming required. That is why so many shots were interior ones and the few frequently used exteriors were set reproductions of the site.

And while this came out in the height of the cold war I never got the impression that it was the russians versus the west since I never heard a foreign accent (except British) and the constant question was it us or them that was behind the village.

There were many question raised during the series with few answers and this was Patrick McGoohans intention. The story ends where it begins. Was it all in his mind? Is this a prelude to what comes? All in all it will be pretty difficult to live up to the standards set by the first show and make it appealing to current audiences.
Old 15-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #12
otis
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by evapodman View Post

And while this came out in the height of the cold war I never got the impression that it was the russians versus the west since I never heard a foreign accent (except British) and the constant question was it us or them that was behind the village.
did you see "V as vengeance" ?
otis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 11:38 PM   #13
evapodman
Hydroponics Technician

Default V for Vengance

I don't recall that episode. Just that for the most part I don't recall any cheesy russian or eastern european accents that seem to be the staple of American TV.

My own impression of The Prisoner is that it was about a man struggling to retain his individuality and human rights in a world that seems destined to take them away.

To paraphrase Number six " I will not be briefed, de-briefed, filed, stamped, indexed or cataloged" The village was a place where everyone was a number and all "freedoms and privleges" were false or superficial and the individual was subordinated to the common good. In a sense it had more to do with Orwell's 1984 than spy stuff.

And the more I think about it the more I realize how difficult it will be to live up to the original. A new village? Or will it be the prisoner being followed constantly around a la the Borne movies.
Old 16-07-2008, 03:44 AM   #14
BrianS
Communications Officer

Okay, this remake is sounding less and less promising:

"In AMC's remake of the 1960s show The Prisoner, the imprisoned spy Number 6 "finds his way back," and we learn what the village is, says actor Hayley Atwell. She plays the "love interest" in the program, a woman who works for a very important corporation. She's not what she seems. She turns up in the Village blind, with a number. Asked whether her character stays blind the whole time, Hayley answered cryptically: "She's in a parallel world, and it's actually a different part of her." Also, the new show will be about post 9/11 security concerns, the same way the original was about the Cold War"

--

Also, apparently not only will there be a mini-series remake, but now (completely unrelated to the mini-series) it appears there is going to be a feature film of The Prisoner as well.

"Universal Pictures is near a deal for Christopher Nolan ("Batman Begins", "Memento") to direct a feature version of TV series classic "The Prisoner" reports Variety.

Janet and David Peoples ("Twelve Monkeys", "Blade Runner", "Unforgiven") are set to write the script based on the series. Scott Stuber, Mary Parent, Barry Mendel and Emma Thomas will produce.

Plan is for Nolan to direct a contemporized transformation after he completes work "The Dark Knight," the "Batman Begins" sequel that begins production early next year at Warner Bros. Pictures. Nolan's next film, "The Prestige", hits theatres in October."

"Stuber and Parent took on the project as they kicked off their Stuber/Parent banner at Universal, where the film has become a high priority. Director and scribes are experienced in paranoid fare. Nolan directed the thrillers "Memento" and "Insomnia," Janet and David Peoples wrote "Twelve Monkeys" together, and David Peoples co-wrote "Blade Runner."Stuber is producing with Michael Mann the Peter Berg-directed "The Kingdom" while Parent is in New Zealand, prepping "Halo."

While the posting for this is dated 2006, IMDB currently has this listed as In-Development for 2009. So the actual status of the movie is questionable
BrianS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #15
cricket
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
.... and we learn what the village is, says actor Hayley Atwell. She plays the "love interest" in the program
Why must producers and writers feel we have to be given all the answers? And I'm not at all sure about the 'love interest' concept. That seems very contrary to the original series.

Old 17-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #16
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Yep.

If you take an enigmatic series and provide all the answers, it ceases to be enigmatic.

And surely the whole point was that you couldn't tell who were the guards and who were the prisoners so the "love interest" is a bit of a non starter.
Old 17-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #17
Elric
Astrophysics Technician

Thumbs down

"contemporized transformation" = "dumbing it down" = "Pile of S$^"

All they are doing is stealing the name of the series...
Elric is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 11:18 PM   #18
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Errr, wasn't No 1 revealed at the end of the original series? In an ambiguous and left-field ending that suggested it may have all been allegorical?

I agree with Cricket, DX-SFX and Elric. I like a bit of ambiguity in my art. Imposing a neat, explicit resolution on this story seems so unsubtle, so lame-brained, so... noughties.

Still, I have faith in the Christopher Nolan project: he's a great director, in my opinion.
Old 19-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #19
evapodman
Hydroponics Technician

Default Prisoner series

You're right, after reading that studio blurb it seems to me that this series is going to be bad, with only a nodding referance to the original series and what it was about. A cheap Bourne Identity on TV.

As to the question of the final episode, Number One was never revealed and we never learned the prisoners real name. There was some implication that the Prisoner was really No.1 all along and is a subject of considerable discussion among fans.

The series ended where it began. The silent, dwarf butler goes to the Prisoners London flat, which is coincidentally No. 6, and the Prisoner is seen heading towards his headquarters in his Lotus sportscar.

Also several episodes were written and directed by Patrick McGoohan which kept the series true to his vision, something I don't see happening with this one.
Old 21-07-2008, 12:51 AM   #20
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

When he's introduced to Number 1, he rips off the monkey mask and Patrick McGoohan is behind the mask. There was a very good documentary about the series on Channel 4 several years ago where McGoohan was interviewed and he admitted there had to be an ending but he had no idea what the ending was going to be or who could possibly be number 1 that wasn't going to disappoint the audience. For that reason he took the allegorical route but freely admits the audience felt short changed and he barely got out of the country alive. I confess I'm a fan of the first half of the series which was played very straight and quite gripping. I didn't mind some of the more experimental episodes later on like "Living In Harmony" or "A Change Of Mind" (although a couple were real turkeys like "The Girl Who Was Death"). I can't hide the fact that I found the last two episodes confusing and disappointing although they compel you to watch them again in the hope of catching whatever you felt you missed the first (and second, and third, and fourth...) time around in the hope of 'getting it'.