SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 20-02-2006, 04:06 AM   #1
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Default Jig Template

Hey Guys,

Does anyone have a jig template that I could use to make up the spine of an Eagle? Or are jig designs closely guarded secretes? Looked around, but I have yet to find one...

Thanks..
Alpha's last child is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 06:24 AM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I use a wooden bread board carefully drilled to take four 1/4" rods in the correct position. I then make up each trapezium frame by sliding the reinforcing tubes onto the jig and then soldering all the cross pieces in place. Once you have a set, you can then slide and space them all along the four longerons before soldering them in place and then add the diagonals.

For drawings featuring all the measurements you're likely to need, you could do worse than get a set of these:

http://www.smallartworks.ca/PS/Space...lueprints.html
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 06:43 AM   #3
Capt Steele
Chef

For the 44"?

Id like to see a pattern for the Spine as well as the Cages if someone is willing to post one for us
I did see, (but would have to look it up), someones post, that they used a jig to make the tubing sections, had a photo log going on the construction as well.

44" I would personally rather, but can always size it up.

Did everyone use the Prud'homme/Trice Prints? Baldassari's?
or the Mandel/Starlog? or even the Kennedy Shipyards?(Have the #1 of the Eagle Tech Manual from them)
I have a couple others in my collection as well, even an original of the old 1979 Starcraft Productions prints.

If I knew what was the best print to go by, (i know some are way out as far as accurate), I might be able to draw up a jig to post.

*Guess you were posting as i was typeing DX-SFX
Capt Steele is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 08:52 AM   #4
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Well, I plan to build a 22" first, but thought I could scale up or down any jig design that was offered.

I have Phil Rae blueprints from SIG, and were going to use those for the model. Will have to do some serious thinking about these ultimate plans though!

It would be interesting to see the different ways people go about building there eagles.
Old 20-02-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The Starlog one's are hopeless.

The Baldassari drawings are loosely based on Phil Rae's SIG drawings with a few differences. They are quite good but have some dimensional errors. They were never claimed to be 100% accurate but produced as a pleasing set of drawings.

The Kennedy Shipyard drawings are, as far as I can tell, traced directly off Phil Rae's drawings but with added errors. Most of his drawings are lifted from other sources or traced from photographs. Much of the detail is fudged, made up or contradictory. Phil's original drawings are better.

Incidentally, Phil Rae's original drawings are generally very good but not well detailed enough to scale up. They were drawn as a set of centre page blueprints for Dave Nightengale's much lamented SIG magazine and as such, were fairly basic (and small). Phil owned the original model at the time but admitted he didn't spend a lot of time on them since he was basically doing the drawings for nothing.

If the Starcraft ones are the dye line drawings that came folded in a white envelope and occasionally crop up on eBay being sold by "Intergalactic", they're dreadful.

The Trice/Prudhomme drawings were done from measurements taken from the actual studio model and the season one detailing was researched over many years. They are printed exactly half size so although the drawings are of the first 44" model, the drawings are perfect for making a 22". I'm biased but I think I can say none of the others come close but obviously it's down to personal taste.

Old 20-02-2006, 03:05 PM   #6
Capt Steele
Chef

Thanks for clearing up the print question for me.
I only have what i could get from the web as far as Prud'homme's print, i just dont see myself affording $55 for a set of prints anytime soon.
Old 20-02-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

If you don't want to spend any money then Phil Rae's drawings are a good starting point. The ship is drawn proportionally very well.
Old 21-02-2006, 02:36 AM   #8
shrugger
Eagle Pilot

Here's the measurements I got from the daniel prints. Give or take 1/64"
http://public.fotki.com/shrugger/eagle_11/eaglejig.html
shrugger is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 03:45 PM   #9
skyfullofstars
Astrophysics Technician

Default Re: Jig Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha's last child
Hey Guys,

Does anyone have a jig template that I could use to make up the spine of an Eagle? Or are jig designs closely guarded secretes? Looked around, but I have yet to find one...

Thanks..
Here You see my spine jig for the 88" Eagle based on the blueprints of Trice and Prud'homme (double the size):

http://public.fotki.com/skyhopper/ea...and_tubes.html

It would be simpler to make one jig for the cages and the spine. My cage jig is made of steel. See the other pics on the fotki site.
skyfullofstars is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 04:00 PM   #10
doon
Communications Officer

Quote:
My cage jig is made of steel. See the other pics on the fotki site.
Alpha's, do yourself a favor and be seated before ya do You aint gonna believe your eyes
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-02-2006, 04:47 PM   #11
Big Rab
Forum Supporter

Ah the Jig Again…………………………………

Well Alphas last child, i have to agree, the best thing to do is get a set of blue prints from Trice/Prud’homme. From that it is easy to work out where the holes on the jig should be using a centre point, two circles graph paper and a good ruler ……………. However, drilling the holes in the exact spot!!!!! That is the real problem. trust me on that one.
For ideas and advice, check out the “44” for beginners, page 1a” thread. The guys gave me great help on that very subject.

Remember that it does not need to be 100%, 99.9% is close enough
No body is ever going to know that it is less than 0.5mm out in only two of the holes ……………………………………. Except every body in this forum. . . . MMMMMM . . . . . anyway......

As for my build up, I still have to add the diagonals and clean up all the excess solder but it is heading in the right direction, so far, with not too many mistakes at all.

The next problem is that before i start my engine mounts, is to do the “Brass Rings” for the engine bells. I will try the “heat up and bend round” technique first of all and see how that goes.
I wish DX was still making Eagle parts! Come on Chris, what do you say? Go on, , , , Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on, OOOOPPPPPPS, SORRY ! we have done that one before haven’t we.

Anyway, here are a couple of photos of my 44” Eagle progress so far.
http://photobucket.com/albums/e83/44Eagle/
Old 21-02-2006, 05:55 PM   #12
shrugger
Eagle Pilot

Very nice.
The best way I found to fab the engine rings is to take the ID and OD measurements
and then hand them over to a machinist
Old 21-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #13
skyfullofstars
Astrophysics Technician

[quote
The next problem is that before i start my engine mounts, is to do the “Brass Rings” for the engine bells. I will try the “heat up and bend round” technique first of all and see how that goes.
[/quote]

For the brass engine rings I suggest this way:

http://public.fotki.com/skyhopper/44...ine_rings.html

I have two brass ring types for my eagle fleet. Bending is not good enough, takes a lot of time and You have then to file in place the tubing. With my way You measure out the right size and cut once. Then a little solder is needed and it is done. With my way the engine cross will be perfect. See my 88" pics of the cross construction. It is selfexplaning.
Old 22-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #14
Big Rab
Forum Supporter

Default engine rings

Thanks, SFS, that looks a great way to keep it all in line, but way beyond my talents. I will have to look around for a local engineering company to do that for me. Or if you can suggest anybody that could help, I would be very grateful
Robert
Old 22-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #15
skyfullofstars
Astrophysics Technician

Default Re: engine rings

The best way is to look for a brasstube with the correct or close measurement. And then have it cut, milled to the right diameter and the holes drilled. To work such pieces You need a little lathe. But a lathe is expensive even a small one. So it's cheaper to have it made by a machinist. I did it this way.

Old 22-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #16
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by doon
Quote:
My cage jig is made of steel. See the other pics on the fotki site.
Alpha's, do yourself a favor and be seated before ya do You aint gonna believe your eyes
Sitting, looking, mind whirling....

I think I need to sit down and make some serious plans. Maybe if I work out my dimensions for a 22", I can then make heads or takes of a 88" jig!
Old 22-02-2006, 06:57 PM   #17
Capt Steele
Chef

My old High School had Machine Trade Classes, I took it myself.
Around Here, if you can draw up a simple drawing of what you need, with the dimensions, and take it to them, the students can make things you need, if not for free, cheap. We used to get doughnuts as payment for the class, when we made things for outside the class

They might need you to buy the stock to make the items, depends if they use a supplier or get stuff donated to them from industry.

I found this Company on the Web for another project I did.
They might even have the exact size you need for the Engine Rings, I didnt look.
Alot have said they are good to work with. I never did order from them.
http://www.onlinemetals.com/

Just a couple ideas that might help.
Old 22-02-2006, 11:31 PM   #18
shrugger
Eagle Pilot

Onlinemetals is great if you want 100 or 1000 but if you want only 1 or 4 etc
its pricey since they charge bulk rates. You can't get anything made for under
$100
There are a number of parts on the Eagle that will need to be machined
so Check your local Machinists first.
Old 23-02-2006, 12:37 AM   #19
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

If it's brass rings you want doing, I can do those very cheaply and quickly. PM with what you want and I'll give you a price.