Which makes it in the $2000 range here in the states!: O

We have a saying here;

F THAT!!!!

You can guess what the f stands for.
Gonzowerke is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 12:34 AM   #3
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Cheaper than a cheap thing from Cheapville if you ask me. If it's well made and accurate that's a very good price. Bear in mind that a competent 44" scratch-build will set you back 3000 at the very least. Highly-reputable and skilled modellers wouldn't even get out of bed for less than 7,500 for a 44.

Think of the MR Falcon or Enterprise and what they cost - now think of a 44" Eagle with all that girder work. I'd be interested to know what this will be manufactured from...

Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 02:41 AM   #4
danielgp
Alphan

The main questions IS? How accurate it will be? for the price!
danielgp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 05:44 AM   #5
Communications Officer

I was kinda hoping eFX would have beaten IR to it. Andrew Grimshaw and Bob Smith get a mention on that page. I guess my post about a 44" AB rip was an accurate prediction. I can't say I'm all that excited about this. I want a 44, but going on IR's previous offerings, they would really need to pull something out of the bag on this one. And all for 1K? The writings on the wall. It's the same old story, you get what you pay for. Prove me wrong IR, Er.. Sorry Sixteen 12 collectables. I wonder if anybody on this forum has had, or will have any input on this project? It might be worth getting one just to break it up for some bits if it turns out to be inaccurate. The most important thing I want to know is this. Will that damn pod be detachable? If that's a NO on a 44 scale Eagle, then you can count me out. Sorry to be so cynical. I hope they produce something that a Model Maker as well as a fan would be proud to own.

Last edited by 29390; 17-07-2008 at 07:28 AM.
29390 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-07-2008, 06:28 AM   #6
w8cmp
Science Officer

I hope to god they actually invest some time and effort in to this one to make it ACCURATE.

If it helps they can obtain a DVD of detailed images easily here !

There really is no excuse this time...

I'm sure people here would be more than willing to help with material and possibly even access to the original(s) to ensure we are not disappointed this time.

Please listen Product Enterprise / Iconic Replicas / Sixteen 12 Collectables (wow what a lot of names...) and give us the replica we all really want and will buy if it's right.
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 06:42 AM   #7
Communications Officer

Here Here to that Chris. I think a run of just 100 at that price is a bit too low. I'm sure they could shift double that quantity easily. Let's just hope they manage to implement some form of quality control on this item BEFORE it gets shipped from China. It's only 100 units, so that's no big deal. I'll do it for them. Please get this right!
Old 17-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #8
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8cmp View Post
There really is no excuse this time...
Exactly.
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #9
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Mmmm...

Maybe this is a move to "clean reputation" after the 22" disaster. Maybe they're ready to lose some money in order to make people happy. It's not about being nice, but to marketing tactics.
I'm not sure they'll go to China to manufacture such small amount of Eagles.

Definitely, it's cheap. A lot of money, but cheap. I can't imagine a resin spine in this one, we're talking of individually-hand-made-soldered-spines and maybe cages too. There is no other way in this one.
akoenig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 08:18 AM   #10
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoenig View Post
I'm not sure they'll go to China to manufacture such small amount of Eagles.
I am. If they want to sell them for around 1000 /$2000! I don't think it's a quantity issue, it's the costs of production and everything that goes with it. I'm worried they will use the same manufacturing technique and materials as they did on the 23", just retool and up scale it all. That would mean a fixed pod. Personally I wouldn't want a display case for it either or a certificate. I'd rather they invest that money into the model itself

Old 17-07-2008, 08:22 AM   #11
Hawk
Communications Officer

I have to say, the economics of this don't make a whole lot of sense to me.

100 units at $2,000 is only $200,000. How much of that is profit? Just for grins, let's say they make a whopping 50% profit (which I sincerely doubt they can do).

Even being that generous, that's only $100,000. That's peanuts nowadays. Gotta ask why they even bother...

(P.S. I'm delighted they are doing this, even though I can't afford one. Just don't understand the dollars. Personally, I'd rather see a Hawk and Swift in scale with my 12" PE Eagles more. More profit in that, I'd bet.)
Hawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 08:26 AM   #12
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I will get excited for those who can afford this when I see it in their homes on this forum. There is no way I would be ordering, even from a picture on their ever more complicated site (WHY THREE NAMES NOW... don't they think anyone will touch IR or something?) I would only order after I'd seen pictures from a satisfied customer.

I personally think that's too cheap to do the job that should be done.

BUT.... wouldn't it be nice. That's still $2500-3000 for us in AU by the time such a thing was shipped here. It would want to be very good.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 08:40 AM   #13
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzowerke View Post
You can guess what the f stands for.
Funny? A Thousand Quid
Old 17-07-2008, 09:39 AM   #14
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

A question.... Did Andrew Grimshaw and Bob Smith make the AB 44", and is IR admitting that they're actually just doing a made up version of it or what?
Old 17-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #15
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
A question.... Did Andrew Grimshaw and Bob Smith make the AB 44", and is IR admitting that they're actually just doing a made up version of it or what?
For sure! The only 44" "garage kit" is the AB one so far...
akoenig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #16
Communications Officer

If they didn't come clean when the product was released, people would find out it was the AB kit (The walkways would be a dead give away), so there's no point in coming out with all that 'Hand crafted from the original studio plans' crap. I give them credit for their honesty here.
Old 17-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #17
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
That's what I picked up from their press release.

Last edited by deraenged; 17-07-2008 at 09:54 AM. Reason: spillink
deraenged is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #18
BrianS
Communications Officer

Personally, I will be VERY interested in watching the development of this product. I look forward to more news as they progress!
BrianS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #19
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Well, lets put it like this. Andy Grimshaw contacted Jim Small about basing a "new kit" on Jim Small's 44" Eagle parts and bought several sets of castings from him. It struck me as strange they should do this since Bob and Andy did their own 44" model and presumably still had the patterns. At no stage was Iconic Replicas mentioned either to Jim or myself when I spoke to Andy on the phone. Bob's also contacted me about a number of items, some of which I've lent. If some of these turn up recast as the basis of an Iconic Replicas model, I'll be VERY "disappointed" as any favours were to them personally and not to IR.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #20
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

My suggestion is that you warn them now very loudly to fess up and be honest (IF THERE IS ANY DISHONESTY) so that the project can proceed in a happy fashion and a really wonderful replica can be made ... well as good as can be mass produced.

Tags
new 44'' ir eagle